Looking at van with following problem history

Dangriga

I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Ford RB E350 Diesel with 90,000miles, and after numerous conversations with the owner, he said the following:

"About a half year after I bought the van I had some problems. Long story short I brought it in and they had to remove and install a new IPR valve and replace the stand pipe on both the passenger and drivers side. This involved tearing the motor apart. This was supposed to be done when they do the bullet proofing but was not. The mechanic said it is a tough job and is probably why it wasn't done at the time of bullet proofing. Knowing that this was not done he checked everything else out and said that whoever did the bullet proofing did everything else propper and did a good job."

I am not a diesel mechanic, but I have heard on the 6.0l that any problems with overheating heating or injectors can trash the engine. Is the above problem something that can easily be verified that no damage was done to the engine or you feel I should steer clear of the van?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I only had a truck not a van, but IPR and Standpipes are common failures. On a truck, an IPR is a PITA but you can do your own in the driveway in 3-4 hours depending on your dedication and drinking.

Standpipes are more work but not impossible.

Changing or not changing them does not guarantee future reliability. In 120k +\- miles, I did 2 IPRs, one as a diagnostic step that proved to be unneeded.

I would not think that either would be cause for long term concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94