Looking at trucks: opinions on T100 and other in that price range...

Dr. No

Do you love your T100? Is it reliable, easy to own?
I don't need a big truck, but it's got to be something that my wife can just go drive when she needs the room (the FJ60 has never been to that point, for her at least).
How would you compare it to a Taco, Frontier, or (shiver) Ranger? I'm only looking at real 4x4s. Towing (small airstream up to small Bobcat) is also a consideration.
Thanks!
Scott

CabinFever

Observer
T100 is very similar to the 1st gen tacos. They even share that same 3.4 that lasts forever. I own a gen 1 tacoma and its super reliable but not the strongest towing vehicle up steep mountain grades, especially at 215k miles. You might want to look into 1st gen Tundras with the 4.7 V8. I know the Toyotas are great trucks. I've heard good things about the Frontier and Ranger as well. Get a V8 if you're towing anything over 3000lbs up mountain grades though..

AaronK

Explorer
I second a first gen tundra with 2UZ if you want to do towing

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

D

Deleted member 9101

As a long time first generation Tundra owner... I say go Tundra instead of T-100. While the T-100 is a good truck, it's a gutless wonder. The Tundra can tow your camper and Bobcat. They ride nice and are damn near indestructible (much like all other Yota's). The Tundra is also about the same size as the T-100 if that's a concern.

I had a 2001 Frontier, while it was a nice little truck... it was just that, a little truck. The taco is in the same boat, nice for what it is... but the Tundra will come out on top.

Arclight

SAR guy
Do you love your T100? Is it reliable, easy to own?
I don't need a big truck, but it's got to be something that my wife can just go drive when she needs the room (the FJ60 has never been to that point, for her at least).
How would you compare it to a Taco, Frontier, or (shiver) Ranger? I'm only looking at real 4x4s. Towing (small airstream up to small Bobcat) is also a consideration.
Thanks!
Scott

They're excellent trucks and last forever. Mine has been great. I really like the mid-size format of this truck. The only problem is that they stopped making them in 1998, and most of the example you'll find were used as work trucks and are pretty beat. Mine has the supercharger, so passing on mountain grades is no problem. But I'll echo what others have said - get a V8 if you like towing things uphill. The Gen-1 Tundra is very close in size and is a better tow vehicle.

Arclight

marathonracer

Adventurer
Not anything you haven't heard yet but if you are towing anything or even just loading it up go for the 1st gen tundra. Some of the early models can be had for around the same price point and in this neeck of the woods would have a new frame as well. There is a price jump, around here anyway, when you get to 05-06 because of the transmission and vvti.

I had a Tacoma with the 3.4 before my tundra and it just didn't cut it for even towing my boat (16' Lund). Even just with a snowmachine in the back it would bog down on any grade. Now with the 2uz I've got a rock solid motor and all the power I want for what I use my truck for.

dman93

Adventurer
I have a T100 and really like(d) it, but I did just buy a new Tacoma. I decided that I wanted a new, more comfortable, safer (airbags, ABS etc) truck with doors to access the area behind the seats. And this may be the last vehicle I ever buy. And my T is for sale now.

That said, the T100 is a really good truck. It's been reliable, and honestly, the size is just right. I find the 3.4V6 more than adequate in the horsepower department, even with an automatic. I don't tow, but deal with mountains and altitude and it does just fine, though I'd have preferred a 5 speed. Mine is a DLX 4wd XtraCab and the cab is roomy and even the back seat is quite usable by adults for short distances ... the hassle is getting people or gear back there. I've never driven or even been in a Gen1 Tundra, but I've heard the Tundra cab is less roomy due to thicker seats, console, etc (comparing AccessCab to XtraCab) but of course you have the extra doors, or could buy a DoubleCab. The new Tacoma is light years more refined than the T100, but I've driven FJ60's and owned an FZJ80 for years, and I'd say the T100 is peppier and better handling than the FZJ, rides slightly rougher, and is far more pleasant to drive than an FJ60/62. Oh, the 60/40 bench is pretty bad.

I've hauled 1500 lbs of gravel in the bed of the T100 and it felt fine. It's much more heavy-duty than any Ranger or Frontier. And though used prices are high, seems a better value than a Gen1 Tundra, at least in the California market, unless you really want the V8. Oh, and the T100 AccessCab is shorter than a Gen2 or Gen3 Tacoma XtraCab, and has a much wider bed. Good truck! Now, why did I just buy a Tacoma for the price of 4 or 5 nice used T100's? Hmm ...

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I had a T100 for 17 years. Then moved up to a 1st gen Tundy.

Simply put: Get a 1st gen Tundy.

You can look at 2nd Gen Tundys too; but honestly, I don't really like them all that much.

CabinFever

Observer
I know you want a truck but unless you need the bed you might want to look at a 4th Gen 4runner with the V8 in it. Since making the switch from Tacomas to 4runner I have to say that the 4runners are a good deal better off road when similarly equipped. Coils instead of Leafs and better breakover/departure/approach angles. Hopefully you get one with a locker. One big drawback of a 1st gen Tundra compared to 1st gen Tacoma is lack of factory locker. You can get aftermarket though..

amo292

Adventurer
Everyone seems to be pretty on track here.

I noticed you mentioned the possibility of towing a small bobcat. Unless its a really really small bobcat, thats going put you way over towing capacities of all options listed. You will need to step up to a full size truck to get those capacities. The weight of an average bobcat before the heavy duty trailer required is about 5000 pounds. I have a second gen Tundra (5.7 v8) and can tow my works bobcats, but its much nicer to use a 3/4 ton dump truck.

Dr. No

Thanks, everyone, great responses.

I've already got an FJ60, don't need to look at another wagon--need an open bed for lumber and whatnot. It won't be an expedition vehicle most weeks!

Towing the bobcat is not such a necessity (but the land cruiser can handle the small one).

D

Deleted member 9101

Everyone seems to be pretty on track here.

I noticed you mentioned the possibility of towing a small bobcat. Unless its a really really small bobcat, thats going put you way over towing capacities of all options listed. You will need to step up to a full size truck to get those capacities. The weight of an average bobcat before the heavy duty trailer required is about 5000 pounds. I have a second gen Tundra (5.7 v8) and can tow my works bobcats, but its much nicer to use a 3/4 ton dump truck.

I have rented a small one from Home Depot - machine and trailer were right at 5,200LBS IIRC.

D

Deleted member 9101

For what it's worth. If you toss on an under drive crank pulley and electric cooling fans on the Tundra it gives it a noticeable amount of "pep" off the line.

The V-8's came with either a 3.91 or 4.11 depending on the package. The V-6 4X4 automatic came with 4.30 gears. When I replaced my reared (my truck is 2wd), I got one out of a V-6 4x4 and it made a world of difference since I run oversized tires (P275/55/20) and wheels. Actually, it evened things out to where my speedo is damn near dead on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior