Looking at this 4x4 Crew Cab to start a build.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Looking at this 1998 4x4 1 ton 3500 Crew Cab long bed truck with a utility box to start a build.

Yes it's rough. Yes it's got a lot of miles. Yes it's cheap. Yes it's a 1 ton 3500. Yes it's 4 Wheel Drive and Yes it's white! 5.7 Vortec, automatic, steering, Hydro-Boost brakes, A/C. Just an old work truck that might be a great foundation for a build. Body is fairly straight with no rust.

I could do a lot with this truck. I like that it's gas and the 5.7 Vortec. Yes the Vortec's have their issues however I am familiar with them and the fixes. LOT'S of parts truck in the JY that can easily help with this build.

I also have a 1988 F350 GAS crew cab 1 ton 4x4 sitting here at the house. "I" think "I" like the idea of building the Chevy versus the Ford. I understand that the Ford could/would overall be more capable however I like the comfort and style of the Chevy better.

I would like your opinions on building this 1 ton Chevy 4x4 with suspension, wheels, bumpers, winch and all for FSR use and light off-road trails & camping while retaining the utility box and utilizing a rack for additional items needed. I know the size and length is an issue with full size trucks so I'm interested in your thoughts and suggestions.00S0S_akbLqJRqXdC_600x450.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
Certainly potential in that, it will need more clearance without a doubt. I'm partial to Fords but that's more from familiarity than anything. What draws you to the Chevy, specifically, that can't happen with the Ford you already own?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say go for it Mr Vintage. A lot of times your best build or project is an older vehicle that you have the room and ability to throw some money and time into the truck so that it can become truly unique. The truck being a one ton gives it huge potential. Also that utility box on the back makes an excellent platform for a rack or canopy. I hope you buy the truck so that we all can follow your build. I say giv er! Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
What draws you to the Chevy, specifically, that can't happen with the Ford you already own?

The Ford is a 1988 460 FI Gas truck with a C6 and no overdrive. It does have the leaf spring Dana 60 solid front axle (Good) with vacuum power brakes (not so good). It is a lower mileage truck. Vacuum controlled climate control (A/C & Heat) in the Ford versus electric controlled in the Chevy. "C" channel frame with more frame flex than the Chevrolet. Gear drive transfer case (good). Still has PU bed that will need replaced for my plans. 2 fuel tanks, 2 fuel pumps and a split valve (Bad). Very dated (1980's) aluminum wheels/tires that have little to no value to sell in today's market. The Ford is much more "Dated" in appearance however both trucks would need paint or a wrap at this point.

The Chevy has the 5.7 Vortec with 4L80E Overdrive transmission (Good). Chain drive transfer case and IFS no so good. Hydro-boost brakes instead of vacuum (better). Less dependence on vacuum for emissions and climate control. Better interior ergonomics, dash setup and comfort. More contemporary design. Good utility bed already on the truck to start with. Utility bed still has good value and could be sold for good money if plans change and a flat bed comes into the plan. No power windows or locks so less to go wrong or repair. Larger cab with more interior space. 1 Fuel tank with 1 fuel pump that regularly goes bad instead of 2. Factory aluminum wheels/tires that can be sold for decent money.

Both trucks will need ALL the same basic maintenance to begin with such as fluids, brakes, bearings and such. A/C system still blows cold on the Chevy. Both will need suspension upgrades, ball joints, u-joints and all that stuff so not much difference there. Both trucks have good glass. The Ford has a little rust that is not difficult to address. The Chevy is rust-free.

There are far more 1990's Chevrolet parts trucks in the JY from which to scavenge parts that there are late 1980's early 1990's Ford trucks. Last but not least at the end of the day when both trucks are Equally Completed where "I" live the Chevy would sell for "Much Mo Money" and sell 5 times faster the Ford.

At the end of the day these truck are STILL 20 and 30 year old trucks respectively with matching technology. Maybe I should look for a truck that was at least made in this Century!!!

These are just a few of the reason's that push me towards the late 1990's Chevrolet crew cab 4WD truck versus a late 1980's Ford crew cab 4WD truck.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Went ahead and bought the truck today.

Got a couple of surprises with it. With the deal is a on board diesel fuel tank with pump and I got a Honda Gas powered compressor.

Interior is better than I expected. Body is absolutely no rust with a couple small dings and original paint. Box is a Reading box that is nice with keys. This truck is LOADED with tools and according to the owner weighed 11K with all the stuff on it. I'll be the weight will drop 1500 lbs just getting rid of the tools and other stuff in the back!

Here are a few more pictures and pictures of the 1988 Ford F350 I already owned.

20180630_141605_resized.jpg20180630_160825_resized.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Sure a nice step up from your other vehicle. I am looking forward to seeing the progress you make. Cheers, Chilli...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Looks like I just bought a PERFECT parts truck today to help with the GMC crew cab above.

It's also a white 98 2500 ext cab 4WD diesel Chevy with a bad diesel engine and no transmission however everything else is there including the transfer case. This truck has a PERFECT white bed & tailgate if I want to go back to the stock PU bed route!

The above 1998 GMC crew cab was produced by GM as a "Cab/Chassis as noted on the door and the RPO SPID label. I know that a stock PU bed will NOT Bolt On some Cab/Chassis trucks due a difference in the rear frame on a cab/chassis versus a regular PU truck frame.

Therefore this question:

Does anyone know if the rear frame is the SAME on this 1998 GMC Crew Cab 4WD 1 ton CAB/CHASSIS as a regular 1998 GMC/Chevrolet 4WD Long Bed PICKUP and therefore will a stock PU 8 ft long bed will Bolt On this 1998 GMC 1 ton Crew Cab 4WD Cab/Chassis?

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Lot's of progress on the 98 GMC.

3 hours of pressure washing made a HUGE DIFFERENCE in the exterior and interior appearance of the truck. I took the dash part to clean all the dirt/dust out of the dash, cluster and ducts. Replaced the inoperative A/C heat control head and the low speed blower resistor and now all that works properly.

Went the local used parts supply house (LKQ and Pull A Part) yesterday and scored a nice driver's side exhaust manifold for about 15% of the cost of a new manifold to replace the cracked manifold. Picked up a nice leather wrapped steering wheel to replace the work truck wheel. Ordered a new accumulator and orifice tube and O rings to get the A/C blowing chilly. Mounted up another set of 17 inch aftermarket Hummer look wheels I have with some 50% tread Nitto's I had in the basement to possibly mount on the truck. SOLD the diesel fuel tank and the compressor. Now all I have to do is sell the upper long top box on the driver's side and the small upper box on the passenger side. This will leave me with just the original utility box which is in excellent condition. The sale of those items two items alone reduced my cost in the truck by almost 30%! Git rid of the boxes and "Mo Money" back in the pocket for repairs/upgrades.

Found a 1995 2500 4WD Diesel parts truck missing the transmission but otherwise complete with nice tires, perfect bed, front-end, off-road front bumper and decent interior for $700. The more I look the more I like this type of truck to build an INEXPENSIVE rig.

This truck was originally ordered by the State of Tennessee as a "Cab/Chassis" and as such has some great original HD options without all the fluff. Crew Cab, 10K LB GVWR, 4WD, G80 Limited Slip Rear-End, Manual transfer case, 5.7 275 HP Vortec engine, 480LE Automatic Overdrive Transmission, 4.10 Front and Rear Gears, Manual windows/locks, Low mount mirrors, Vinyl floor mat, Couple of skid plates, Factory spot for second battery, Nice "READING" brand low mount SRW Utility box installed, Zero Rust on the truck and the crappy original white paint.

There are local parts stores (Junkyards) all across the USA with 100's of these GM400 trucks for parts if, when and wherever you are and need parts in a hurry. If and when the engine takes a dump I can buy a NEW CRATE ENGINE (L31R) from GM with a 3 year 100K mile warranty for about $1800.00. What a deal! Lift kits are everywhere for this type of GM truck IF desired which I doubt I will do. I am thinking about a 1 inch body lift to make the utility bed look lower to the cab. Don't know for sure just thinking. Going to start a complete suspension inspection and look at what needs replaced in the front-end and rear-end.

I have been "Playing" with a couple of ideas for a slide in pop top camper on top of the utility box. Nothing real good camper wise on CL at this time however I have lot's of time to continue to look. The 10K GVWR will help IF a slide in pop top camper becomes a reality. Also looking at firing up the tubing bender for a removable rack design that would bolt on to the top of the utility bed and allow for a RTT on top, 2 Kayak mounts angled to the side of the tent along with fuel cans and other items attaching to the rack without being too high profile or a wind grabber. Seriously considering the pro's and con's of a hard shell RTT for less wind grab than a regular RTT. Have thought about lining the underside of the proposed rack with tig welded aluminum tread plate mounted under the rack to provide dry cover over the open area's of the utility bed. Not sure yet how I would close the back of the bed behind the rack yet however there are several idea's floating around in my noggin. The great thing about the utility bed is that it provides lot's of LOCKABLE DRY STORAGE for many items and systems that might be installed.

Yes I know this is a LOOONG truck however can't have everything!

With my labor, Junkyard and new replacement mechanical parts (Rockauto), parts I already own that I can use on this truck, the parts truck purchase, cab repaint & bed repaint, building the above bed tube rack, selling the parts I don't need and I just might be in this truck ready to go for less than the cost of a GOOD hard shell RTT. Ya I bought the truck CHEAP!

With a little time and a lot of effort maybe I can have this truck ready for Expo East in October. Not to bad for some cheap fun!

Last edited:

Cotton

Definitely lots of potential with that Chevy. I’d be interested in the Ford if you decide to sell it.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Updated picture of the truck much cleaner and with the extra storage boxes, diesel pump/tank and gas air compressor removed from the truck and sold!!!

I left the 2 mortor launchers in the rear just in case I needed em to go along with my bazooka! :):):)

Ya right!

20180729_151600_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94