Looking at switching to a 2005 LR3 from 97 Pathfinder

rgallant

Adventurer
Title says it all, I have read and re-read until I am pretty blue in the face but still on the fence.

My major concerns are what are the most likely failures on 7 to 10 days traveling FSR's in BC/Alberta. Given some of the stuff on the internet I might well carry a day pack because it is never coming back out, but I hear that about my Pathfinder too and it has always gotten me home.

So barring engine, tranny or other major drive train failure that can happen at any point, is 2005 a decent year for these.

Are there any realistic concerns I should be aware of, I keep my vehicles serviced and looked after.

perkj

Explorer
2005 were the first year of the LR3. If you can afford an 07 or 08 you may be better off as LR worked all of the bugs out them by that point.

rgallant

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply perj, the problem here is that the price literally doubles from 2005 to 2006 - so a decent 2005 lowish KM (sub 200000) 8000 - 9000 and prices double at 2006 and get worse as years go up. It is my offroad truck, we have a car for daily use, I thought something a little more interesting would be nice.

colb45

Observer
Just a heads up if you have looked at this one https://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/d/expedition-ready-land-rover/6205122004.html <-- its a scam so dont waste your time

Some guy ripped off my build thread from Rover Landers... because I am 110% its in my garage... :coffee:

Honestly more records the better, these vehicles need to be maintained, i bought mine with a 3" ring binder dating from day 1 which was nice to have. Check to see if they have an upgraded compressor. Worst case your doing a swap to coil springs.

Decline

One 2005 bug is the rear diff has the paint inside. Guess it flakes off inside and ruins it. Look in the service records(if there are any) to see if it was replaced. Besides that I can't think of anything else off hand why 07 or 08 is better. Maybe someone else ca chime in

Ray_G

Explorer
There is a lot of commentary about 2005's being more problematic as the initial year of the model; that said there is little evidence that it is demonstrably worse.

The dif issue is worth noting, however it is also worth keeping in mind that if the dif has lasted this long it may well be just fine-we are talking over 10 years of it being on the road now.

As far as the overall drivetrain the 4.4l V8 is a superb motor, by far one of the best offerings in a LR. Transmissions, at least as far as what we're discussion, have not been problematic in LR's for some time.

The issues you may encounter for long haul FSR's are most likely to be reflected in the (aged) suspension. The idea of switching to coils, for your intended purpose, has merit. But I'm biased. I based my decision to do that off my intended use (the desire for long haul travel on dirt/gravel roads without being concerned that a variable like the EAS would make the trip less enjoyable). Much of my decision was informed by a fellow Canadian, his usage of the LR3 may be useful for you: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/120976-LR3-Air-to-Coil-conversion-one-year-later

At the end of the day what you seem to be asking is how much risk are you assuming leaping from a reliable, albeit somewhat spartan, platform to the LR3? The answer is not nearly as much as most of the internet would tell you (most often based not on fact but on rumor, friends of friends, or the reputation of preceding generations of Rovers). Much like your Nissan, what many find with Rovers is if they are maintained they rarely leave you stranded. Bear in mind that the rule with a Rover is that they are rarely totally broken, but never completely fixed either.

It is a very comfortable long haul travel vehicle though.
r-
Ray

rgallant

Adventurer
Just a heads up if you have looked at this one https://victoria.craigslist.ca/cto/d/expedition-ready-land-rover/6205122004.html <-- its a scam so dont waste your time

Some guy ripped off my build thread from Rover Landers... because I am 110% its in my garage... :coffee:

Honestly more records the better, these vehicles need to be maintained, i bought mine with a 3" ring binder dating from day 1 which was nice to have. Check to see if they have an upgraded compressor. Worst case your doing a swap to coil springs.

I would not go near craiglist for a vehicle that kind of scam is way too common.

rgallant

Adventurer
Thanks all for you replies it mirrors my gut feeling, take care of it, fix things if they are getting iffy or as they come up. I have a once over done on the pathfinder every year as a preventive, I am sure it will stand me in good stead here too. Now to find one that has been taken care of.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
There is a thread here about most common mechanical things to look for, and what trim is desirable.

Short answer is they are fantastic distance platforms, they can carry a lot of weight, ridiculously good traction computers, solid ground clearance, get OK mileage, great safety, great comfort, seating design is one of the best for fold-flat van-ness. Good aftermarket support these days, and used market is good for fair priced examples. Downside is they are heavy empty, suspension-drivetrain is maintenance intensive, NAS vehicles have lots of vulnerable and expensive glass, some electrical faults hurt the reliability in an emergency (can be worked around).

Pretty much what Ray said.

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
I would not go near craiglist for a vehicle that kind of scam is way too common.
Then you're going to miss out on 80% of the used car market. I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles on Craigslist. The percentage of scams to valid transactions is incredibly low. If the person doesn't want to deal directly in person, doesn't have the title in their name, or wants a funny form of payment, move on and you won't get scammed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rgallant

Adventurer
I did not mean to be so negative about craigslist, just a lot of seller's seem less inclined to do presale service inspections etc. But I may have had bad luck with my choices

Jwestpro

Explorer
Then you're going to miss out on 80% of the used car market. I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles on Craigslist. The percentage of scams to valid transactions is incredibly low. If the person doesn't want to deal directly in person, doesn't have the title in their name, or wants a funny form of payment, move on and you won't get scammed.

Yes, I like this reminder but it applies to any used car deal. Any sort of weirdness that you as a reasonable and honest person wouldn't by trying to push, is your notice to end any interaction.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I did not mean to be so negative about craigslist, just a lot of seller's seem less inclined to do presale service inspections etc. But I may have had bad luck with my choices

I like to play devils advocate sometimes so with you coming from a Japanese make, are you not also considering a Toyota at least in similar price range? Earliest Land Cruiser 100 are getting much cheaper and frankly, probably are a better value for most people.

Then again, why do you even want this to be an SUV? Why not a van or pick-up? You specifically stated long haul forest service roads right? To me that sounds like a diesel truck with solid suspension that has so many more choices for configurations, it's hard to compare.

My choice would be something like a 2006 Dodge cummins 3500 with a 6spd. Simple, super tough, no worries basically. Put any type of camper on it, etc. ;)

zelatore

Explorer
I like to play devils advocate sometimes so with you coming from a Japanese make, are you not also considering a Toyota at least in similar price range? Earliest Land Cruiser 100 are getting much cheaper and frankly, probably are a better value for most people.

Then again, why do you even want this to be an SUV? Why not a van or pick-up? You specifically stated long haul forest service roads right? To me that sounds like a diesel truck with solid suspension that has so many more choices for configurations, it's hard to compare.

My choice would be something like a 2006 Dodge cummins 3500 with a 6spd. Simple, super tough, no worries basically. Put any type of camper on it, etc. ;)

Now you're just trying to cause trouble!

colb45

Observer
The craigslist post was more of a heads up than anything.. I had a couple other people mention to me that my truck is "for sale"...

If your ever in the langley area you are more than welcome to come check mine out and bs about rovers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior