Looking at Suzuki V-Strom 650

acasper708

Observer
I didn't read any of the above post but the first cple.
I would never get that bike and use it on the trails. Specially a first time rider.
I have a 83 CR480R that's a Old MX bike. I go out on woods trails which that bike doesn't like that much. You will dump the bike!! Many times!! That V storm looks a little heavy and could snap ur leg if caught up. Also if ur trail riding you need to set up a camp first and have removable storage so you can leave that stuff at camp and lightin the bike up for the trail.
For your first bike I suggest a old on/off dirtbike. Do not get into the new adventure style bikes until your happy with your skills.
U can find a beat up enduro for cheap.
That skid plate on the V storm looks fine for sticks and tall grass. If u try popping over a downed tree u will most likely fold that skid in along with you exhaust.

Cody1771

Explorer
love my Wee, people give them a bad wrap off road, would i take it on single track again? probably not, but for 90% of things its a brute of a bike, with lots of power, killer gas milage, and is a blast to ride. i have a few youtube videos on my page thats linked in my signature if your intrested.

the skid plate is kinda weak sauce, it will take a beating but you will be removing it to pound it flat again like i have several times.

8098160906_8b68bcc875_z.jpg

91redford

Any bike that you can pay for will change your life, and you may end up owning more than one...i went for the KLR back in '06 and rode it up to Alaska in '07, trip of a lifetime, it does make sense to go for the one with the skid plate already on, of course price it online but usually the parts sell for more new, and you would want that skid plate even just for gravel roads, i like the factory bags iv'e seen on new ones, for long distance travel there great. keep your rubber side down.

805gregg

Adventurer
Best DS for road and trail is the Suzuki DR650, I just got back from a 1800 mile ride to Copper Canyon in Mex, the DR was perfect for both pavemant and tough off road, no problems whatsoever, go on DRRiders or ADV and go to thumpers, the DR has more supporters than any other thumper

motochain

Wanderer
I LOVE my '09 Wee! I even have the same color as Cody1771.

I bought the bike based upon price and function. Originally I hated the looks, but it's grown on me every day.

30,000 miles later, and I have had zero problems with it. LOVE IT!

An amazing bike on pavement, a grin ear to ear in the twisties, and still a trooper on forest roads.

TTaM

Just bumping this thread because it was one of many that helped convince me to buy a V-Strom 650 Adventure. This has been a long winter to buy a motorcycle.

cpabbey

I'm curious to know as well. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary with a DRZ400 and I'm thinking about getting something a bit more road worthy.

pbansen

I'm curious to know as well. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary with a DRZ400 and I'm thinking about getting something a bit more road worthy.

Having had both a DR-Z400 and a DL650, I can assure you that the 'Strom is a whole lot more fun to ride on the road. The DR-Z is a terrific, nimble bike on dirt (especially when it's challenging), but that splinter of a saddle and the marginal power for highway speeds make it a lot less than optimal for riding more than a couple of hours on pavement. The DL650 is wonderful on pavement and it's fine on a dirt or gravel road - plenty of power, very comfortable ride and good range (I average 48 mpg and that yields about a 250 mile range). I've done 1,000 mile days on mine several times (Russell Day-Long saddle) and it has been totally great and not the least bit challenged by cranking out that distance. It's one of the most fun bikes you can own and a tremendous value. I have an '04 and while I love the looks of the new ones, the only reason I would trade up would be to get ABS.

The DR-Z is a great bike too - fun to ride on the dirt and a real hooligan machine on pavement - but if you're contemplating longer trips, you can't beat the V-Strom.

Pete Bansen
Truckee, California

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Dollars for Donuts....You simply can't buy a better "All Around" motorcycle than a Wee Strom...

Low Price of Entry
Rock Solid reliability
Lots and lots of service locations on the road
Excellent Gas Mileage
Can carry a ton of gear or two up
Can be bought on the used market for peanuts
great highway cruiser
great backroads tourer
good dirt road bomber

I've owned two...A 2004 and currently a 2007ABS......I've soldand traded dozens of bikes over the years but there is always a Wee Strom in the barn.

I took one on 11,000 mile trip to Alaska

www.motoalaska.blogspot.com

Jc1986.carter

So I’m looking at adding a dl650xt as my next bike. Does anybody have any complaints about them. I currently have a monster 821 but the V-Strom seems like a great bike for what I’m doing these days, just going to and from work.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I put about 18k on one 650 vstrom and 10k on another one I had . fantastic bike , soaks up gravel roads and very smooth on the road, mpgs are impressive to . favorite bike I have ever ridden .

Jc1986.carter

I put about 18k on one 650 vstrom and 10k on another one I had . fantastic bike , soaks up gravel roads and very smooth on the road, mpgs are impressive to . favorite bike I have ever ridden .
That seems to be the running theme. Price, availability, durability, and comfort, you can’t bet it. With the tubeless spoke wheels now too makes me think it would be great for forest roads and then it looks the part of the adv bikes.

Did you buy both of yours new or used?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles