looking at an '01 Sr5 4Runner, need input

Eric3187

Adventurer
I am looking at a 2001 Sr5 4Runner 4x4, completely bone stock, minor dings and dents, no problem there. my question is in regards to the transfercase, it is not the 4H-4L-N-2H shift pattern but instead has L-N-H and a 4wd button on the side of the shifter. can someone educate me on this transfercase? would i see any issues with this style for an expedition build and being out on the trails and such?

i dont plan to go bigger than a 265/75/16 tire on it if that matters.

The price is right and the overall condition is far better than any others ive looked at, 128k miles, timing belt done at 106k, and the guy has a stack of service records for the majority of his ownership. I just want to make sure i wouldnt have any issues with this style of transfercase.

thanks!

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I have the same t-case on my 01 Taco. It takes a little getting used to compared to my 00 XJ (2H-4H-N-4L). I've noticed it takes a bit for the front axle to shift sometimes, and that may be an issue with the vacuum line going from the case to the dif actuator.
Otherwise no issues for me.

Eric3187

Adventurer
So no red flags on perusing this 4runner? just a different approach toyota went with? i did engage 4L and damn it is low ha

kanger

Observer
I have the same system on mine. My 4Runner is a '96 that was auction bought with no service records. Despite that, my 4wd engages just fine. I prefer an actual manual shift into 4wd because it seems more reliable, but as I said...this electronic button setup has worked fine for me.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
The 01 and 02 4Runners have a 'multi-mode' 4WD system. Pressing the '4WD' button on the side of the shifter puts it into all-wheel-drive mode (center diff unlocked). I run that way in snow and it's great. Locking the center diff (a switch on the dash near the driver's door) or shifting to 4-Lo puts it in traditional 4WD mode (powers both axles together). It is a good setup, especially if you drive in snow or ice. The 01 and 02 4Runners didn't have a rear locker option, but you can get a locker (like an Aussie locker) pretty cheap if you need one (I have a Detroit TruTrac LSD in mine). The 4WD system works great on trails and appears to hold up as well as any other transfer case on 4Runners. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the electric front axle disengager thing (AAD?) to lock and unlock but it's not a problem.

They do have an annoying VSC (vehicle stability control) system that cuts power to the engine if it detects wheel spin (which is downright scary trying to cross a busy street covered with snow). There is an easy mod (like 20 minutes) to put a switch on the dash to disable/enable that (http://www.yotatech.com/f2/andymod-2-0-abs-remains-active-204623/).

That sounds like a nice truck, and with low miles and good maintenance. It should have at least 150K more left in it.

Last edited:

Eric3187

Adventurer
Awesome! thanks for the replies and the links, im now just waiting on the guy to get off work and give me a call so i can go scoop it up!

SIZZLE

Pro-party
The button on the side of the transfer case lever is for shift on the fly 4WD. My understanding is that these trucks have a motor that spins the front drive shaft up to speed and then engages the front differential when putting it in 4WD (or something like that). I didn't have any problems with mine and i found that engaging and disengaging 4WD was the easiest/smoothest when your driving at a slow and steady speed as opposed to stopped.

3rd gen 4runners are awesome. Good luck!

Limbwalker

Observer
Hopefully the truck comes with an owners manual which will explain its operation in more detail, as well as the center-diff-lock if yours is so equipped.
I have an 01 and it has been flawless, and once I learned the different functions, has actually more options than many standard 4wd systems.
These things are amazing vehicles, dont let the system scare you away... its good stuff and works really well
T4R.org 3rd gen forum section has a 'master of informational threads' post where youll be able to find a TON of info!
Good luck

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
The button on the side of the transfer case lever is for shift on the fly 4WD. My understanding is that these trucks have a motor that spins the front drive shaft up to speed and then engages the front differential when putting it in 4WD (or something like that). I didn't have any problems with mine and i found that engaging and disengaging 4WD was the easiest/smoothest when your driving at a slow and steady speed as opposed to stopped.

3rd gen 4runners are awesome. Good luck!

Just for a little clarificaiton, but that's not entirely correct. These cases DO have a motor, that shifts from 2wd to 4wd, but its the same as using the lever. The transfercase has syncros in it that speeds the driveshaft up before it engages the automatic differential disconnect (which is vacuum actuated on all of the trucks). The motor on these is electric, but the operation is the same as the J shift trucks.

If you have issues going into 4wd, the most likely culprit is the vacuum canister located above the driver front wheel. There is a small hose there that gets detached easily when driving through mud, and will render the diff disconnect inoperative, as well as make the engine run rough (vacuum leak).

86tuning

Adventurer
It would be fun to hack the system to make available 4L with the center diff unlocked. This can be very handy when off pavement (permits lighter steering) and also when doing simple stuff on pavement like backing up a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles