Looking at a new 2012 LR4

zeke2.0

Adventurer
Hey Zeke, it's been a while. Any reason in particular you want to get rid of the Eco beast for an LR?
More for my wife than me. I actually use my truck for hauling movie equipment around. My wife is ready to buy, so I suggested the LR4. She agreed I could take it
out to the woods every once in awhile, plus both of us using it for long overland trips we do every summer.

zeke2.0

Adventurer
What is the honest likelihood that you'll travel outside of North America to some remote village where gas will be a problem?
Would love to travel around Mexico and Central America, maybe do the Pan Am.., visit those places that I see posted here on Expo.
My Ford with the off road suspension is hard on my wife, even with all the interior room. I'm hoping the LR4 would be
more agreeable. She is in the market for a new vehicle. I like the safety features the LR4 has, especially the traction control.

zeke2.0

Adventurer
YES, run high grade if possible. the direct injection system does not like low grade. and even still, buy from reputable gas stations. QT and racetrack are NOT the place to buy from.

Change the oil at 7500. NOT 15k.

not all adaptions are cleared by simply disconnecting the battery on any newer land rover. IDS/SDD is needed to fully reset them. yes it will adapt to low grade/quality fuel, but the effects include it running rough and idle fluctuations. as well as the other things mentioned above (ie injectors clogging ect...)

the LR4 is MUCH improved over LR3. and absolutely buy the 100K warranty.

One thing of note. the base Factory warranty is honored at any Land Rover Service center around the world. The extended warranty is only USA/Canada because it's a 3rd party, not Land Rover. That info is from emails exchanged with the Chantilly VA LR salesman.

Bhos

Adventurer
QT is just fine. And, I've seen the trucks roll from one station to the next filling up their tanks. Why 7500? Is it so much improved that you are still telling OP to get an extended warranty? Haha, not inspiring confidence. Oh, I am probably going to end up buying an LR4.

YES, run high grade if possible. the direct injection system does not like low grade. and even still, buy from reputable gas stations. QT and racetrack are NOT the place to buy from.

Change the oil at 7500. NOT 15k.

not all adaptions are cleared by simply disconnecting the battery on any newer land rover. IDS/SDD is needed to fully reset them. yes it will adapt to low grade/quality fuel, but the effects include it running rough and idle fluctuations. as well as the other things mentioned above (ie injectors clogging ect...)

the LR4 is MUCH improved over LR3. and absolutely buy the 100K warranty.

lwg

One point to consider is the LR4 is slightly wider than the LR3. Not a big deal to most but something to consider. However that 5.0 is just awesome, not two bits about it. It'll get about the same mileage if not better than an LR3 with proper driving. I just bought a 2008.5 LR3 with all the bells and whistles and can't believe I didn't do this years ago. That being said I absolutely love the LR4. If LR would just bring over the TDV6 or equivalent I would literally put down a deposit today for that as I only wish I could truly get high 20's for mileage.

perkj

Explorer
One point to consider is the LR4 is slightly wider than the LR3. Not a big deal to most but something to consider.

Are you sure? Both show a width of 75.4 inches and they are the exact same chassis and frame.

Scott Brady

Founder
Would love to travel around Mexico and Central America, maybe do the Pan Am.., visit those places that I see posted here on Expo.
My Ford with the off road suspension is hard on my wife, even with all the interior room. I'm hoping the LR4 would be
more agreeable. She is in the market for a new vehicle. I like the safety features the LR4 has, especially the traction control.

The LR4 will be fine on the fuel anywhere in Mexico and Central America. Bring a little octane booster, fuel injector cleaner and start the trip with a fresh fuel filter.

The LR4 is a cool truck - I would be proud to own and drive one. Listening to the South Africans talk about how good the LR3 is in the bush convinced me to reconsider the platform. The newer rovers are also far more reliable. We have a Range Rover MKIII and it has been flawless. Just regular service. Although some mice ate a few air lines last week while the truck was parked in the garage - I would say they have good taste ;)

ipgregory

Adventurer
I stand corrected. However all Euro fuel (95-98 RON) appears to fall about into the range of typical US premium (+/- 91 (R+m)/2). So the original point made by many still stands. These trucks were built to run on Premium gas levels of fuel originally and don't really like regular or lower quality gas.

Whether regular will damage the truck is apparently debatable but based on my experience it doesn't offer any real benefits due to the lower power and higher fuel usage. Bad gas almost certainly will damage them if used for extended periods.

ndrenfro

As an owner of a built up (as much as you can) LR4, it has been a great overlanding/off road car. I have been impressed with how it tackles trails both at Uwharrie here in NC and out west. Spent a week in Moab in May and it performed great. Some have mentioned the wheel sizes. I switched to an 18 in rim which allowed me to get a bigger tire with more sidewall. But the Compomotives are the only 18in wheel that will fit over the calipers. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

perkj

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online