Looking at a new 2012 LR4

zeke2.0

Adventurer
I've read mixed reviews on the LR4, but is seems to suit what I want in an Overland Vehicle. Any thoughts on a new one VS an older LR3? I understand the price difference, so no need to mention that. One of the reviews seemed to imply it needed premium gas. That seems counter productive for a world traveling vehicle.

unseenone

Explorer
The world traveling vehicle of preference would be the Defender. That being out of the question for those in the US. The LR3 / LR4 is a great choice. There is not anywhere I can think of in the US you could not get premium gas. In a pinch it would run on regular, but it would mess with the advanced computer systems in the long run. The LR4 being the "perfected" version, has some improvements, such as relocated electronics, and such. The LR4 has a bigger engine, which is a real plus. The LR3 is every bit as capable, as most systems are common to both vehicles. If anything the LR4 is probably has more gadgetry which seems like it could potentially leave more opportunity for faults.

All in all if money is no issue, why not spring for the 4, and the extended 100k warranty. Either way, you won't regret it.

All that being said, there are a few things I would want on a new one if I ordered it.

1. Locking rear diff
2. Heated Seats (wish they had A/C)
3. Nav - absolute must
4. I hear they have an 8 speed coming? Not sure--
5. Rear video system would not be a deal breaker, but nice if you have kids.
6. Do not buy LR accessories such as brush bar, winch, roof rack... You can get better grade stuff from Lucky8 such as Baja Rack, Rover Specialties Rock Sliders with rails (steps) And so on.

Last edited:

zeke2.0

Adventurer
The world traveling vehicle of preference would be the Defender. That being out of the question for those in the US. The LR3 / LR4 is a great choice. There is not anywhere I can think of in the US you could not get premium gas. In a pinch it would run on regular, but it would mess with the advanced computer systems in the long run. The LR4 being the "perfected" version, has some improvements, such as relocated electronics, and such. The LR4 has a bigger engine, which is a real plus. The LR3 is every bit as capable, as most systems are common to both vehicles. If anything the LR4 is probably has more gadgetry which seems like it could potentially leave more opportunity for faults.

All in all if money is no issue, why not spring for the 4, and the extended 100k warranty. Either way, you won't regret it.

All that being said, there are a few things I would want on a new one if I ordered it.

1. Locking rear diff
2. Heated Seats (wish they had A/C)
3. Nav - absolute must
4. I hear they have an 8 speed coming? Not sure--
5. Rear video system would not be a deal breaker, but nice if you have kids.
6. Do not buy LR accessories such as brush bar, winch, roof rack... You can get better grade stuff from Lucky8 such as Baja Rack, Rover Specialties Rock Sliders with rails (steps) And so on.

useenone, thanksvery much for the info. If I take it out of the USA/Canada,then it seems the need for premium becomes a liability.
For reference, my 2011 F-150 with twin turbo ecoboost engine runs just find on 87 octane gas (360HP w/420LBS of torque). Not being a troll, just wanting answers from someone besides a sales person. I've totally bought into the emotional reasons to buy one, but have to balance that with practical reasons to own one.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Zeke,

Very few "luxury" and high performance engines won't run on regular, just depends on how well they run (how much timing they retard). Ferrari has done testing in remote Chinese villages where equivalent octane was a little over 80, and their high compression V12s made it no problem, though didn't run very nice.

The LR/Jag 5.0 is closely related to the Ford 5.0 Coyote, which runs perfectly fine on regular. The LR4 doesn't make anymore power than a Mustang, so seeing that the Mustang only loosed 10hp from 91 down to 87 octane, I can't imagine the LR4 loosing too much more. In addition, the LR 5.0 has direct injection, which is very resistant to pre-denotation, making it even more low octane friendly, in theory.

How well it runs also depends on ambient conditions - 105 degrees in the blazing desert, with A/C, you'll loose quite a bit of power from 87. Alaskan winter? Almost zero.

Any LR 5.0 owner out there with experience on regular?

Mack73

Adventurer
Love my LR3, wouldn't hesitate to take a LR4 out in the woods.

Only draw back is the larger brakes don't fit OEM 18" wheels. But this can be solved with some special 18" compmotive wheels that will clear the brakes.

Definately get the rear locking diff if you're ordering. Well worth the money.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
What is the honest likelihood that you'll travel outside of North America to some remote village where gas will be a problem?

r3run33

Adventurer
its a beautiful vehicle; well thought out and has some great abilities. I think they did tweak the LR4 compared to the LR3 so go with the newer model.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
You won't be disappointed. I LOVE my LR3. Any problems I've had have been very minor, especially compared to the problems I had in Chevy and Jeep products.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One of the reviews seemed to imply it needed premium gas. That seems counter productive for a world traveling vehicle.
So are 19/20" wheels, electronically controlled everything, air suspension, independent suspension, etc.
Given everything else, I wouldn't worry much about fuel grade.

reds12t

Observer
Something to consider is the different interior between the two. For off road, I like the more utility/rugged look that my LR3 has. The LR4 has a beautiful interior, and really, I wouldn't mind having that nice interior while driving around town. However, I would hesitate to jump in the LR4 when I am muddy or dirty. I do not have any experience off highway with the LR4, so it may not be a major concern, but it's not something I worry about much with the LR3 .

That being said, the LR4 will give you that wow factor when you are on the trail and step out of your leather and wood luxury interior.

baja5337

Observer
Speaking from dealership experience, the direct injected 5.0 motors on the new LR product is extremely sensitive to fuel quality. Yes the motor will run on fuel other than 91 octane, but the degradation in burn quality will cause carbon build up on the tip of the injectors and will cause a misfire. Land Rover actually has a process for misfire repairs that involves an induction system cleaning to clear out the carbon build up. If that doesn't fix it, a replacement injector would be required.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The LR3/4 engines (all three engines) run at a pretty high compression ratio, thus triggering the need for higher octane fuel. It will run on 87, but you'll notice it, and I think you will foul the spark plugs and cluster the injectors to the point where fuel economy will dimish and cost you more than just running premium. But that's just my opinion. For an off road oriented rig, I'd go with a late model LR3, 2008 or newer.

WoldD90

Adventurer
I have run my RR on 87 octane a lot recently, and it runs just fine. It is preferable to run premium, but a few tanks of 87 is just fine. It you are worried about it when you travel, buy some octane boost.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I think it really depends on the year of vehicle you're looking at. I put 87 in my 08 one time when it was the only gas available out in West Virginia, she ran fine but I did notice a decline in my fuel economy. I don't think it'll hurt if you run it occasionally when you don't have a choice, but consistently fueling up on 87 is a whole different story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior