Looking at a LR3

dcg141

Adventurer
Does this confirm a locking diff? Its an 08 SE with 152K. I looks like a factory tow package also. Its about a 4 hour drive away to inspect.
Rover.jpg

JimBiram

Adventurer
No those controls are standard on all LR3s. You have to physically climb under the vehicle and there will be wiring going into a motor in the rear differential. No wire, no locking diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
That's what I thought. Vin searches will not tell either as far I can see. I will try to get the car lot to check but I'm not hopefull they will or will have any idea how to. Not willing to drive 4 hours to look at a garden variety SE.

JimBiram

Adventurer
It was called the “heavy duty package” and it comes with full size spare, trailer hitch and rear diff locker. But you just can’t go by the spare tire size since that was a separate option that many SE versions came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Since this comes up pretty much anytime someone is looking for an LR3; any particular reason for the locker?

I ask b/c many would say rack and stack options you desire to find the one most suitable for your application-but for the vast majority of those applications the locker really doesn't add anything dramatic...and if you really need one for your application, then you can always go ARB to get the ability to turn it on/off yourself instead of the computer doing it.

FWIW.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I use this website to get as much info as I can. It works most of the time to provide info on the Spec Build to determine if the truck in question has a Locking Rear Diff or not.

Go to: www.vindecoderz.com, then enter the VIN #, once you get the decoded information just do a Screen Search (CTRL+F) for "diff" and it will take you to the spot you need to look.
You will see this if Locker = Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Locking
You will see this if No locker = Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Open Diff

For some reason not all VIN #'s produce the full page of info, but it's been accurate for every known Locked VIN# I've ever checked.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Do you have a pic of the rear end? If the spare tire hangs below the rear bumper, then it has the space saver tire, and pretty much guarantees non-HD package.

But in all honesty, I'd take a well taken care of non-HD truck over a questionable HD truck. The Traction control actually works very well. When I got my LR3, I initially had some traction issues and linked it to not having a rear locker. Then I got some nice AT tires (replacing the bald performance tires....which do not work well off road...oh and being bald also is bad) and that pretty much took care of my traction issues. Also could've used a rear locker on Poughkeepsie at the wall, but I probably shouldn't have been there with a stock LR3. But, eh.

The ARB is expensive, hence getting one factory helps mitigate this cost.

Keep your eyes open. The right one will pop up.

This convo goes round and round every few months. I'll inject my opinion that you are missing out on many great vehicles by limiting yourself to a HD package with a locker! Yes, a locker is a great addition to the LR3 package, but surely not a requirement. I have found one instance that a locker would have helped me get out of a situation.......of note, I should never have been in that situation in the first place. On that note, driving and a great vehicle got me out, no locker required!

Just saying, don't limit yourself to one piece of kit for a vehicle that is 95% capable without!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
>HD package is not necessary.
>Get a PPI done at a LR dealer
>Get service records, most important is usually the 75k interval, diffs, transfer box

One of the best cars LR ever made, these are NOICE.

dcg141

Adventurer
Its not a requirement but the price on this one owner unit was attractive but still a 4 hour one way drive away. If it had a rear diff lock given their relative scarcity it would be worth my time to go inspect. I'm going to look at another closer unit tomorrow.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
I use this website to get as much info as I can. It works most of the time to provide info on the Spec Build to determine if the truck in question has a Locking Rear Diff or not.

Go to: www.vindecoderz.com, then enter the VIN #, once you get the decoded information just do a Screen Search (CTRL+F) for "diff" and it will take you to the spot you need to look.
You will see this if Locker = Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Locking
You will see this if No locker = Rear Axle Differential - Rear Axle Open Diff

For some reason not all VIN #'s produce the full page of info, but it's been accurate for every known Locked VIN# I've ever checked.
Thx,,,its not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior