looking at a '95 TLC

shultzie

Observer
Hey guys,

Been looking at '95 to '97 TLC and would consider a little older model. I have been researching these all over the internet. I've always loved the Toyota and i'm ready to get one. I posted this on IH8MUD but would like to get many opinions on this since you guys know more on what to look for. Thanks ahead of time!

here is the link to a '95 I thought about looking at in a few days. Has 155,000 miles and looks to be basic model but clean. Price seems a little high at 6,999.

It dose have the locking diff...

http://www.coolridesonline.com

What do you guys think? Any other info is more than welcome!

Thanks
Dave:victory:

Last edited:

Sempertoy

Explorer
Your link doesnt work. I personally think that may be a grand or so high, but with the lower miles and a clean interior it isn't outrageous. If you can get any sort of pm history that would be great, if not set aside some funds for pm'ing the vehicle, tranny drain and fill, diffs, transfer case etc. if it has factory lockers make sure they engage, from what I have read on mud if they aren't used they can stop working right. Look at the knuckles and see what condition they are in, plan on doing a knuckle service within 6 months. Check under the hood, oil leaks seem fairly common around the valve cover and the dizzy. Both are a relatively easy fix. I have also recently done a lot of front end work replacing the tie rod, drag link and rod ends all the way around they are probably original. Also make sure the power seat works they can have gear issues. There are nit picky things to look at like making sure the gear selector light works, gas struts on the hood and rear hatch. I think this could go on for a while, you can also checkout the buyers guide on slee's website, it's very helpful.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Also, don't forget the older models come with the bus tranny and are very slow, but they also don't have the same amount of head gasket issues.

brentbba

Explorer
Well, I'd say MUD is the ultimate source for Landcruiser info. For a super clean '95 with lockers, depending on the rest of the condition of the truck, price isn't to very far high. Leather, cloth? What other info do you have. You have a great Toyota LandCruiser Association club in Colorado named Rising Sun http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/ They might be a great source in helping you find a local cruiser. Great bunch of folks that put on one heck of a little party called CRUISEMOAB every May.

shultzie

Observer
Thanks guys for taking time out to help i posted the link and it should work. Ill check the club out for sure!!

shultzie

Observer
Your link doesnt work. I personally think that may be a grand or so high, but with the lower miles and a clean interior it isn't outrageous. If you can get any sort of pm history that would be great, if not set aside some funds for pm'ing the vehicle, tranny drain and fill, diffs, transfer case etc. if it has factory lockers make sure they engage, from what I have read on mud if they aren't used they can stop working right. Look at the knuckles and see what condition they are in, plan on doing a knuckle service within 6 months. Check under the hood, oil leaks seem fairly common around the valve cover and the dizzy. Both are a relatively easy fix. I have also recently done a lot of front end work replacing the tie rod, drag link and rod ends all the way around they are probably original. Also make sure the power seat works they can have gear issues. There are nit picky things to look at like making sure the gear selector light works, gas struts on the hood and rear hatch. I think this could go on for a while, you can also checkout the buyers guide on slee's website, it's very helpful.

Thanks Sempertoy for the imput......I have been following your build looks good!!

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I paid a bit more for the '95 I bought last April...similar mileage but service history...clean interior and exterior...locked...with a new suspension/winchbar/snorkel...
I think the price is reasonable but I would have it checked out before by a mechanic...I was lucky enough to have "MoGas" in town to approve before I wrote the check...
I love this truck...nothing like it...but my biggest complaint is power...Just FYI...the engine is a DOG at altitude in the hills...don't plan on going anywhere fast...
I really want to keep this truck for a long time but I think the only way I will be able to live with it is an engine swap...
Good luck...

shultzie

Observer
I paid a bit more for the '95 I bought last April...similar mileage but service history...clean interior and exterior...locked...with a new suspension/winchbar/snorkel...
I think the price is reasonable but I would have it checked out before by a mechanic...I was lucky enough to have "MoGas" in town to approve before I wrote the check...
I love this truck...nothing like it...but my biggest complaint is power...Just FYI...the engine is a DOG at altitude in the hills...don't plan on going anywhere fast...
I really want to keep this truck for a long time but I think the only way I will be able to live with it is an engine swap...
Good luck...

Sounds like you got a good deal....I was wondering how it would do up here in the mountains but not worried I dont drive fast anyway. I'm in the valley most of the time but I do like to go play!

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
Looks like a nice clean rig, cloth seats are a plus! It would be nice to see underneath and it does NOT appear to have factory locking difs, not a big deal depending on what you want this truck to do. Price seems fair based on condition and miles, my .02

shultzie

Observer
Looks like a nice clean rig, cloth seats are a plus! It would be nice to see underneath and it does NOT appear to have factory locking difs, not a big deal depending on what you want this truck to do. Price seems fair based on condition and miles, my .02

Thanks for the feed back. The dealer said it had lockers but I don't think so either. I feel I would be fine without them I just run the Forest Service roads anyway. I'm sure there very capable without.

Sempertoy

Explorer
The capability of an unlocked rig will blow you away! I know at
Least for me it did. I spent last weekend in Anza borrego doing things in my unlocked 80 that I wouldn't think about doing in my old ifs Tacoma. One thing to think about is how cheap an automatic locker is for these, for less than 400 bucks you can lock up the rear end and because it is AWD, you should hardly notice its there. I have only HEARD this and don't know from experience yet, I can tell you for sure when I buy my Aussie locker.

PBnFJ

Observer
That truck does not have lockers, no rotary dial to the left of the steering wheel. Many folks get confused and think the center diff lock means it has lockers. May be a bargaining point for you with this dealer.

Sempertoy is right, an unlocked 80 is very capable rig. My buddy has an unlocked 96 with 2" lift and 33's and he has followed me most places mine has gone with careful line selection.

It would be good to see the undercarriage to check for issues but otherwise looks like a good stocker. I personaaly like the fabric interior and have swapped my electric seats for some.

shultzie

Observer
That truck does not have lockers, no rotary dial to the left of the steering wheel. Many folks get confused and think the center diff lock means it has lockers. May be a bargaining point for you with this dealer.

Sempertoy is right, an unlocked 80 is very capable rig. My buddy has an unlocked 96 with 2" lift and 33's and he has followed me most places mine has gone with careful line selection.

It would be good to see the undercarriage to check for issues but otherwise looks like a good stocker. I personaaly like the fabric interior and have swapped my electric seats for some.

thanks pbnfj.....Sounds like I really don't need the lockers. I do mild wheeling at the most I like to hit the back roads. I have read some about the rust underneath the trucks. I will research tonight any places that I should key in on for rust? I like the fabric interior also.Thanks for the feed back guys it helps a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles