Looking at a 93

jhill15

Explorer
Hey everyone, I found a 1993 with 200+ on it. It needs a wheel bearing and front axle. What are some common problems to look for on this rig...other than shear awesomeness! It needs some tlc but from the pics it looks to be in descent shape. No locker though...kinda bummed about that, but not a deal breaker.
Also what should I expect to pay for new wheel bearings and front axles?

Thanks everyone!!!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Westy

Adventurer
I would not get too concerned about not having a factory E-locker. In my experience and opinion using both, the ARB locker is superior to the E-locker anyway in its functionality and use.

Common problems -
service and maintain entire cooling system - go through it all and keep it in good working order and ensure engine runs cool
power steering pump replacement / rebuild
check PHH hose - replace as necessary
check torque specs on bottom knuckle nuts (four each side)
periodically check/ flush front diff fluid
check knuckle grease levels in cavity through fill plug on knuckle
check engine harness at back of motor for heat damage
heater valve

refer to Ih8mud and research the 80 series. Wheel bearing and axle replacement is fairly straight forward but time consuming and messy job. Lots of great info online, bearings and seals inexpensive. Axles $$$.

onemanarmy

Explorer
What do you mean by new axles? New housing or new shafts/CVs? Needing new shafts is not that common, especially on a stock truck. I'm sure it needs a knuckle rebuild, unless done recently. That is a very common and easily fixed issue.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jhill15

Explorer
I would not get too concerned about not having a factory E-locker. In my experience and opinion using both, the ARB locker is superior to the E-locker anyway in its functionality and use.

Common problems -
service and maintain entire cooling system - go through it all and keep it in good working order and ensure engine runs cool
power steering pump replacement / rebuild
check PHH hose - replace as necessary
check torque specs on bottom knuckle nuts (four each side)
periodically check/ flush front diff fluid
check knuckle grease levels in cavity through fill plug on knuckle
check engine harness at back of motor for heat damage
heater valve

refer to Ih8mud and research the 80 series. Wheel bearing and axle replacement is fairly straight forward but time consuming and messy job. Lots of great info online, bearings and seals inexpensive. Axles $$$.
Yeah I'm not too concerned about the locker either, later on if I really need one I can put an arb in there.

Thanks a bunch for the ih8mud site, I have never been on there. A lot of awesome info that will take me a little while to read!
Slee Offroad offer a buyers guide on there site
Pretty easy and straight forward info, thanks man!
What do you mean by new axles? New housing or new shafts/CVs? Needing new shafts is not that common, especially on a stock truck. I'm sure it needs a knuckle rebuild, unless done recently. That is a very common and easily fixed issue.

I'm not too sure the fella selling it knows exactly what it needs. He said that he got the 80 in a trade and the guy he got it from tried to fix the wheel bearing and dummied it up in the process, so now it's gonna need a new axle...

I read over on the ih8mud site "thanks again Westy" about the steering knuckles, so hopefully it is an easy fix. Fingers X'd lol.

jhill15

Explorer

Here's a pic of the driver side and passenger side wheels...looks like the driver side needs a whole new hub
753b9dd674158a59e6f1b8b3f3d9bbb8.jpg
f4cd3d37abca6bbb30adcdd1b59c0f75.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
not that bad. Used parts should be easy to come by. The hub would need to come off anyway to do a knuckle rebuild.
Shew, I was waiting for...that's horrible stay away lol. We have several pick and pulls in my area...I'm not sure if there are any land cruisers in them but if so they are gonna be my new best friend for sure lol
Thanks onemanarmy!

onemanarmy

Explorer
If you haven't​ already, go read all you can over on ih8mud.com in the 80s section.... there is more info there than you can imagine.

Upland80

Adventurer
93 is a good one. Axle job is no biggie, but will add up $ a bit. For lockers, if you really need/want them, I put a Harrop E-locker in the front and Lokka/Aussie in the rear. Stupid traction! Congrats!

jhill15

Explorer
If you haven't​ already, go read all you can over on ih8mud.com in the 80s section.... there is more info there than you can imagine.

I'm definitely gonna be spending a lot of time over there.
93 is a good one. Axle job is no biggie, but will add up $ a bit. For lockers, if you really need/want them, I put a Harrop E-locker in the front and Lokka/Aussie in the rear. Stupid traction! Congrats!
That's what I was thinking too, if I really want lockers I can add them in the future.
Hopefully I will be able to tackle the axle myself, and save on some cash.

Thebus

Observer
I've got a 93 and its been fun when i did not brake something...the only downsides ive found are..OBDI not as simple as the later years/headliner drop is not a simple task.the ac condenser is specific to 93 it requires a 92 one..forget the lockers..and honestly buy the most clean and well cared for one you can..parts can be expensive unless your buying used

jhill15

Explorer
I've got a 93 and its been fun when i did not brake something...the only downsides ive found are..OBDI not as simple as the later years/headliner drop is not a simple task.the ac condenser is specific to 93 it requires a 92 one..forget the lockers..and honestly buy the most clean and well cared for one you can..parts can be expensive unless your buying used
Thanks Thebus. I'm not too thrilled about the obd1 either, not sure if the headliner is sagging, I hope not cause that's not something I want tackle...again lol. About the a.c. condenser, do they typically go out on these? If so are you saying you have to buy a condenser specific for a 92?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles