Looking at 92-99 Suburbans

I have a 90 right now, but it's to build up to be an family excursion truck. So I am looking at newer suburbans. The best deals seem to be K2500 versions, since the 454 is a gas hog. What are some basics I need to know looking at these trucks? Is the mileage that bad on the 454? Wasn't there some problem years with certain 454's? I'm also considering K1500 if I can find a good deal. Any other major problem areas I should look at on these?

Last edited:

Revco

Adventurer
454 is a pig around town, but highway mpg isnt as bad as one would expect. I think the 350 Suburbans are underpowered and therefore useless. 3/4-ton is the only way to go, the 1/2-ton suspension parts are weaker versions of the 2500's, and the 1500 rear end is tiny in comparison to the superior 14 bolt in the 2500.

I'll miss my Suburban but hoping to see it drive off with it's new caretaker in the next few hours.

Kaisen

Explorer
'92-95 is throttle body injected (2bbl) and the old square dash/interior

'96-99 is the multi-port 'Vortec' and the updated interior

In my experience, gearing and tires make a bigger impact on fuel economy than which engine.

If you're going to build it up, starting with a 2500 (3/4 ton) is a smart choice

82fb

Adventurer
My 94 k2500 was a great truck, towed nicely, good brakes, got 10-11mpg empty highway with the 454. Got 9mpg pulling 6000 pounds. That truck gave a lot of confidence while towing, and made it a more relaxed situation.

My 98 k1500 is a great truck, way more comfortable and quiet, tows okay, lousy brakes(make sure your trailer brakes work good), gets 14-15 mpg empty with the 5.7. Gets 8-9 towing 5000 pounds. I am always a bit nervous towing up the grades, as I expect the engine to overheat, or the transmission to burn up at any moment.

Bottom line for me is the suburban is around because I want to tow several times each year, several hundred miles. I am actively looking for a 3/4 ton again, and will deal with the lousy empty mileage.

If you don't tow much, the 1500 is the way to go.

How durable are this generations of trucks? The one I am looking at is a 1996 3/4 ton with a 454. It has a 175k miles on it. The owner seems to have taken really good care of it. For those who own them, how many miles are you getting before you have had to preform major overhauls (engine rebuild, trans, etc)? Also, will the Detroit locker out of my current 80's 14+Bolt FF fit in the 14-bolt FF from 96?

Espdp2

Patrick
I own a '99 K2500, and I love it, for the most part. I have a remanufactured ATK long block 350 with about 10k miles, a transmission with about 25k, and the rest of the truck has about 175k on it. I also upgraded to a heavy duty four core radiator with the engine swap. My drivetrain is pretty much bulletproof internally for my intended uses, but I'm having lots of little problems outside of the engine. Starters, alternators, batteries, vacuum leaks, brake booster, etc... I think that it will be a fantastic truck if I ever get all the bugs worked out, and would then be willing to drive to South America and back. I would never buy a 1/2 ton truck for anything more than daily commuting and jobs. The brakes and bearings just can't hold up like the heavier parts do, but sometimes efficiency becomes more important than brute strength. I've towed 26,000 gross loaded pounds for over 1,000 miles. It didn't go as fast as I wanted to sometimes, but it got there safely, and with the trailer brakes, everything came to a stop when it should.

Espdp2

Patrick
If you are shopping around, take your time (months) and pay cash. Once you get it home, open up everything and change every fluid. Drive it easy and drive it hard, and see what works and what doesn't. Regardless, you will basically like it. There's a reason that they've been produced for so many decades.

1leg

Explorer
Although many of these engine and transmission have gone well passed 200K, I would think most mechanic will say that 200k is expected life for most. I would have no problem buying a truck with 175k if it is priced right. If you can get the truck for under 4000, then you need to drop a new motor and trans in it over the next 4years it would still be cheaper then buying a new truck.

So I have pretty much narrowed it down to 3/4 tons. If you had your choice of fuel injection types on a 454, would you want Vortec or TBI and why? I am leaning towards TBI because I don't tow much weight, and it is easier to work on.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had an 89 3500 2wd w350 TBI pickup. I kept it for 52K. Changing eight plugs took me a whopping 45 minutes. Never leaked a drop of fluid. I liked the symplicity of that injection system. With a TH400 auto,I averaged 12-13 mpg on Baja trips.

Kaisen

Explorer
So I have pretty much narrowed it down to 3/4 tons. If you had your choice of fuel injection types on a 454, would you want Vortec or TBI and why? I am leaning towards TBI because I don't tow much weight, and it is easier to work on.

It's not simply the injection system. A Vortec-era Sub ('96-99) has a completely different interior (with airbags) and other changes/updates. More horsepower, more torque, more power over a broader range of rpm, and OBD-2 for simpler diagnostics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles