Looking at 4th gen 4runner

utroda

Observer
So, I'm looking to buy my first 4runner for my wife, its a 2008 with 40,000 miles on it, one owner.

I was wondering if the other 4runner owners had things to look out on, on the 4th gen. I visited T4R and read through their little pre-sale thread, just looking for a bit more in depth items.

Lurch

I just bought a 2007 with ~100,000 miles on it. The T4R pre-sale thread is good. I was able to knock $1,000 off the asking price because it was a 2UZ-FE engine and the seller hadn't done the timing belt yet. Other than the normal checks I couldn't find much information on funky problems specific to the 4th gen.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A 2008 with only 40k on it? Wow, nice find. By 2008 there weren't really any "known issues" as far as I can tell. Some of the early V6's had head gasket issues and I've heard some of the 03-04 models had problems with the dashboard cracking as well.
Biggest thing (especially on a low mileage one like that) is MAKE SURE THE 4WD WORKS! Test EVERY mode. If it's a V6, test it in 2wd (which it should be in now), 4hi unlocked, 4 hi locked, 4 lo unlocked and 4 lo locked. If it's a V8 it will not have a 2wd position but it will have the other 4 modes so make sure you test them all.
If it fails to go from 2wd to 4wd (the dash lights just keep blinking), DO NOT buy it unless you get a promise in writing to have it fixed. This is a $2500 problem and if you don't get it in WRITING that it is the seller's responsibility to fix, you will end up paying for it.

From what I've seen on the T4R.org forum, this is most commonly caused by "mall crawlers" that have never been off pavement and have never (or rarely) been put into 4wd. Essentially the electronic 4wd controls are a weak point on these vehicles and it's a "use it or lose it" proposition.
NOTE: Before someone jumps in with a "I've had my 4runner/Taco for 100000000000000 miles and never had an issue" understand that when I say "weak point" I mean relatively speaking. IOW the electronic 4wd controls on these vehicles are pretty darn reliable overall and there's no reason to expect them not to work. But on some vehicles that have not been "exercised", especially in wet/salty parts of the country, there have been problems with the 4wd failing to engage because the mechanism has gotten corroded and/or has not been used often (or at all.) So make sure you test it when you are test driving.
Also, just an FYI, the vehicle has to be in NEUTRAL in order to go from 4hi to 4lo. If you have it in any gear other than Neutral, you will hear and angry "beeping" and you will wonder what's wrong. Well, what's wrong is you aren't in neutral. The same goes for when you are going from 4lo to 4hi.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not as far as I know but I got an external transmission cooler just in case and bypassed the internal cooler. Cheap insurance IMO.
Note that starting in 05 I believe all 4runners got a "sealed" transmission so there is no dipstick to check the trans fluid.

utroda

Observer
Not as far as I know but I got an external transmission cooler just in case and bypassed the internal cooler. Cheap insurance IMO.
Note that starting in 05 I believe all 4runners got a "sealed" transmission so there is no dipstick to check the trans fluid.

Okay, how much did the bypass run you if you don't mind?

chmura

Adventurer
Okay, how much did the bypass run you if you don't mind?

Actually you are not suppose to by pass the factory cooler (which is built into the factory coolant radiator). If you install a external transmission cooler you are suppose to run it inline of the factory cooler.

Sort of like this picture describes. Reason is you want the transmission to warm up quickest when its cold out. Having just an external cooler will not allow this and will do more harm than good.

My friend has a 4th gen Toyota 4runner V8 and which those come with a factory external OEM trans cooler. I looked at his external cooler and its installed inline to the regular radiator cooler as well.

how-does-a-transmission-cooler-work.jpg

Last edited:

utroda

Observer
So talked with the seller, and going to look at it monday. Found out its an Urban Runner Edition, does this bring up any model specific issues?

vr4z06gt

So talked with the seller, and going to look at it monday. Found out its an Urban Runner Edition, does this bring up any model specific issues?

not really. The urban runner is a blending of the Sport and SR5 models with a factory Tom-Tom removable/portable navigation. It's mostly an SR5 with the sport hood and limited 18" rims. I believe they were only made for one year, 2008; however it could have been produced in 09 as well (maybe someone else can confirm/deny?). But otherwise they are mechanically/cosmetically the same as any other 4th gen. The seller might argue that this is a limited edition, and while it was to my understanding, it is nothing particularly special. Now if you find a 2009 Trail Edition, that is another story. The trail edition is the only 4th gen to be offered with a factory rear locker and hence it is considered the unicorn of 4th gens. It was only available as add on to a V6 4x4 SR5 package however.

utroda

Observer
Cool, thanks for the info. I really want to find a Trail Runner, but have zero luck, this is the best deal to come around for us.

vr4z06gt

I think alot of the times the dealers don't mark the trail edition as such. I used to work at 'Yota dealer in college, the software that decoded the VIN's for putting them online was really really low tech. If I were to guess many dealers only run the software and then confirm features but not necessarily 'special' packages, and as such they will likely only show up as SR5 when searching Cars.com/AT/etc. Now I can imagine that some dealers might do a little more due diligence in the terms of properly advertising them, however I would imagine they are in the minority.

You can, and many have done it if you search T4R and EP, swap in an FJ rear into the 4th gen, they are basically the same, and get the factory locker to play nice with other packages if you are looking for more creature comforts/V8 in your 4th gen. Alternatively you can swap in an ARB locker as well. While the factory locker was available in the 4th gen, because it was on the V6 SR5 package IMO it isn't as desirable as if were offered with any combo for 09.

Finlay

Triarius
A 2008 with only 40k on it? Wow, nice find.

Biggest thing (especially on a low mileage one like that) is MAKE SURE THE 4WD WORKS!

What he said. I've got an 06 V8 and and a good friend with an 07 V6. They don't get used much off-road and as Mr. Jmpr says, the transfer case actuators can get sticky - so test that. They are otherwise great trucks, though. The V8 in particular is butter - does 90 down the interstate without a whimper, tows without effort. It's just a solid truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles