Look what the Motorcycle Fairy left me...

billy bee

Adventurer
I'm a CL addict. See lots of good deals on there. This was was too good to pass up:

1995 Suzuki DR650, 6375 miles, great condition...
smugshot_207137-L.jpg

smugshot_7142826-L.jpg

smugshot_633829-L.jpg

My plans for it, you ask? Ride!!! No farkles. No mods. No new nothin'. This thing is like a two-wheeled time capsule. I'm gonna have me some summer fun. I'll keep you posted on it all...

Bill

billy bee

Adventurer
M/C Fairy... Funny!

I said I wasn't going to do anything to it, but I had these bags lying around and can always use storage...
smugshot_5004395-X2.jpg

Touratech tail bag (XL)
Aerostich hangy tank bag thingys
I do have a magnetic tank bag, too...

Time spent fiddling--1 hour
Miles ridden--1 mile (it was the test ride I took. I'll ride tomorrow, I swear)

bb

Last edited:

billy bee

Adventurer
This will get old quickly. I don't intend to post every time I walk past the bike. The new-ness will eventually wear off. But until then...

Took a ride today to get coffee and wanted to share some first impressions:
  • It's a buzzy thumper. I have ridden buzzier ones and smoother ones. Had a KTM LC4640SM that blurred my vision. My ATK 605 had a similar effect. The DR650 is not vision-blurring buzzy. It is more along the lines of crotch-numbing buzzy. I think I'd rather have the blurred vision. Who needs to see, anyway? (On the less-buzzy side, my DR-Z400SM.)
  • While I am comparing it to my former thumpers, it has WAY less power than my KTM and ATK. I would put it on par with the DR-Z400, which was highly modified. But for an air-cooled single, it makes decent power. Better than some Honda XL650's I have ridden.
  • Front end is WAY too soft for street riding. May have to add some spacers and heavier fork oil to firm things up a bit. That'll take some sag out of the front; so, I may move the forks up in the triple clamps. Or I may wait to ride a fire road to see how it feels there before I do anything. (Maybe I will take up tap dancing and forget all about motorcycles.)
  • Rear needs some additional pre-load, too. Heard some guys replace the DR rear suspension with KLR shock/spring. Longer shock, I guess? I won't be doing that.
  • Seat is dreadful. Refer back to the crotch-numbing buzz. I am told that newer DR's are even worse. I have an AirHawk that will fix that.

That's all for now...

Thanks guys,
bb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior