Longterm review of the 3rd Gen 4Runner

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I purchased my 2000 Toyota 4Runner 17 years ago in 2005. It was bone-stock and came equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission and a factory rear locker. A few months later I added a 2.5" Tundra/OME lift, some rock sliders, upgraded tires on Sequoia wheels. I supercharged it in 2011.

And I've driven it this way for 17 years. I didn't unnecessarily dump money into it, the vehicle has served as the best all-around vehicle I have ever owned. From wheeling all over the Sierras to a 32 mile commute every day to kid hauler, trailer towing and everything inbetween. It now has 175,000 miles and looks and drives as good, if not better, than it did when I bought it. It's been absolutely dead-reliable.

I have bought and sold nine cars in the time I've had this 4Runner. And yet the 4Runner has remained in my stable. Super capable off-road, nimble and fun to commute/daily drive, it returns 16.5 MPG in stop and go traffic and 20 MPG highway. It's a fantastic platform for all the kinds of things people do on expedition portal.

I've been shopping for the past year to replace it, simply because I want 20-year newer safety technology. I've driven everything from new 4Runners, Land Rover Defenders, V8 Grand Cherokees, GX460s, and I simply haven't found a sub-$70k vehicle that I like as much as the 3rd gen. I'm hoping the 6th gen 4Runner with a twin turbo V6 and 8+ speed transmission may finally have what it takes to get me to upgrade. For what it's worth, I'm finding it takes about 350 hp in modern vehicles to have similar performance to a supercharged 5-speed 3rd gen 4Runner, mostly because curb weights on modern vehicles keep raising. (A 260 hp V8 4th Gen/GX470 feel kinda slow by comparison.)

Payload capacity is important when it comes to overlanding, and the 3rd Gen 4Runner does surprisingly well there:
--Platform----Payload-----Cargo Volume
4th Gen 4R --- 1285 lbs - (75.1 cuft)
Lexus GX470 - 1329 lbs - (77.5 cuft)
100-series LC - 1500 lbs - (90.8 cuft)
80-series LC -- 1765 lbs - (97.0 cuft)
3rd gen 4R --- 1810 lbs - (80.0 cuft)

3rd gen 4Runner has the higher payload capacity, and possibly even more surprising, it had a higher cargo volume (rear volume with seats up) than the 4th gen/GX470. (A GX470 is wider and taller than a 3rd gen, but the cargo area is shorter.)

Toyota did really well with this model, enough so that I'm having a difficult time finding a vehicle that has the capabilities and driving enjoyment of my old 4Runner. If you're considering a 3rd gen for your adventures, I have nothing but great things to say about this platform.

51760611813_57436bde54_b.jpg

Last edited:

RDinNHand AZ

I bought my daughter’s 2002 3rd gen. with 170K miles, 3.4 stock with auto, leather, moon roof and running boards. It now has 245K, the running boards are gone as are the origional bumpers from rust. The rest is rust free and it resides in the AZ desert now so it is safe- rust wise. I replaced the springs and struts to get rid of the rear sag and lift it a few inches. I built a sleeping platform with storage so I can desert camp in comfort. It is due for a timing belt/water pump renewal. It is a surprisingly capable desert overland rig. I am 5’8” so the sleeping platform works with the rear seats folded. It’s done the Camino del Diablo probably 20 times, including the trip up to Christmas Pass. I plan to pass it on to the kids with the house when I’m gone. If they are smart they will use it to go far into the desert and beyond!
4RunnerBack.jpeg4RunnerLeft.jpeg

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve had 2 of these 3rd gens. One supercharged. Such capable and fun rigs. 5VZ is legendary and one of my favorite engines, period.

I don’t know what you replace it with. If you like the feel of the 3rd Gen, I really doubt a 6th is going to tickle your fancy.

If I were looking for a replacement, the only new vehicle I can think of that would come close is a Bronco with a manual transmission. Steel wheels and all.

1640102136268.jpeg

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I bought my daughter’s 2002 3rd gen. with 170K miles, 3.4 stock with auto, leather, moon roof and running boards. It now has 245K, the running boards are gone as are the origional bumpers from rust. The rest is rust free and it resides in the AZ desert now so it is safe- rust wise. I replaced the springs and struts to get rid of the rear sag and lift it a few inches. I built a sleeping platform with storage so I can desert camp in comfort. It is due for a timing belt/water pump renewal. It is a surprisingly capable desert overland rig. I am 5’8” so the sleeping platform works with the rear seats folded. It’s done the Camino del Diablo probably 20 times, including the trip up to Christmas Pass. I plan to pass it on to the kids with the house when I’m gone. If they are smart they will use it to go far into the desert and beyond!

I've found you really don't need much to make these things capable. They are already stout, I just found I needed a little more ground clearance and rocker protection, and that's basically it. I'd drive it across the country tomorrow if I needed to. I did the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, valve cover gaskets in two days in my garage...it's actually quite simple if you take your time.

I’ve had 2 of these 3rd gens. One supercharged. Such capable and fun rigs. 5VZ is legendary and one of my favorite engines, period.

I don’t know what you replace it with. If you like the feel of the 3rd Gen, I really doubt a 6th is going to tickle your fancy.

If I were looking for a replacement, the only new vehicle I can think of that would come close is a Bronco with a manual transmission. Steel wheels and all.

I have not driven the Bronco and I suspect you may be right. The Wrangler isn't on my list because they aren't the best highway vehicle--I was thinking the Bronco might be similar but due to the IFS it should be better on the road.

Purists will hate what I'm about to say, but I am impressed with the drive and capabilities of the new Land Rover Defender. It's the right size, cargo area folds flat for sleeping, the pano roof and portal windows make for a great view of the stars, it has a really high roof capacity and payload and I love the simple but modern interior. It rides really nice on the air suspension and has plenty of ground clearance with the suspension raised. Nobody's traction control works as well as Land Rover's off-road. However, the reliability and lack of a widespread dealership network scare me. Coming from probably the most reliable vehicle on the planet, this is a real issue for me.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

View attachment 697993
I wonder how many repairs it would need after 20 years? I dunno it could be extremely reliable, it’s just not known at this point

nickw

Adventurer
I purchased my 2000 Toyota 4Runner 17 years ago in 2005. It was bone-stock and came equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission and a factory rear locker. A few months later I added a 2.5" Tundra/OME lift, some rock sliders, upgraded tires on Sequoia wheels. I supercharged it in 2011.

And I've driven it this way for 17 years. I didn't unnecessarily dump money into it, the vehicle has served as the best all-around vehicle I have ever owned. From wheeling all over the Sierras to a 32 mile commute every day to kid hauler, trailer towing and everything inbetween. It now has 175,000 miles and looks and drives as good, if not better, than it did when I bought it. It's been absolutely dead-reliable.

I have bought and sold nine cars in the time I've had this 4Runner. And yet the 4Runner has remained in my stable. Super capable off-road, nimble and fun to commute/daily drive, it returns 16.5 MPG in stop and go traffic and 20 MPG highway. It's a fantastic platform for all the kinds of things people do on expedition portal.

I've been shopping for the past year to replace it, simply because I want 20-year newer safety technology. I've driven everything from new 4Runners, Land Rover Defenders, V8 Grand Cherokees, GX460s, and I simply haven't found a sub-$70k vehicle that I like as much as the 3rd gen. I'm hoping the 6th gen 4Runner with a twin turbo V6 and 8+ speed transmission may finally have what it takes to get me to upgrade. For what it's worth, I'm finding it takes about 350 hp in modern vehicles to have similar performance to a supercharged 5-speed 3rd gen 4Runner, mostly because curb weights on modern vehicles keep raising. (A 260 hp V8 4th Gen/GX470 feel kinda slow by comparison.)

Payload capacity is important when it comes to overlanding, and the 3rd Gen 4Runner does surprisingly well there:
--Platform----Payload-----Cargo Volume
4th Gen 4R --- 1285 lbs - (75.1 cuft)
Lexus GX470 - 1329 lbs - (77.5 cuft)
100-series LC - 1500 lbs - (90.8 cuft)
80-series LC -- 1765 lbs - (97.0 cuft)
3rd gen 4R --- 1810 lbs - (80.0 cuft)

3rd gen 4Runner has the higher payload capacity, and possibly even more surprising, it had a higher cargo volume (rear volume with seats up) than the 4th gen/GX470. (A GX470 is wider and taller than a 3rd gen, but the cargo area is shorter.)

Toyota did really well with this model, enough so that I'm having a difficult time finding a vehicle that has the capabilities and driving enjoyment of my old 4Runner. If you're considering a 3rd gen for your adventures, I have nothing but great things to say about this platform.

I know it's easy to assume old 4runner = good so new 4runner = good....and it probably will be....but I think if you are somebody that appreciates the simplicity and general build of the older ones, you'll probably be disappointed in the newer ones. I had a 2001 Tacoma, 5sp, 3.4....awesome truck, but just didn't connect with the newer ones, they are fine rigs, but they just don't have that soul of the older Tacomas.

I honestly think the new Bronco has a bit of that old-school Toyota "vibe"......but if you wanted to stick to Toyota, the GX's have it too, particularly the 470's.

phsycle

Adventurer
I wonder how many repairs it would need after 20 years? I dunno it could be extremely reliable, it’s just not known at this point

It’s a gamble, like anything mass produced. Even my 3rd gens weren’t trouble-free. Supercharger issues (OEM), total overhaul of the suspension at less than 100k miles, and few others. Nothing catastrophic though. Milkshake issue with the earlier 5VZ. Few reports of shooting a rod through the block. But overall, good vehicle. Hopefully the Bronco is as well. Love that 7-speed with the crawl gear.

slomatt

Adventurer
A high school friend's parents had a 3rd gen, and I always really liked that truck and wanted to own one. After wheeling a Jeep for many years I eventually got jealous of paddlenbike's 4Runner when we went on trips, and bought my own 5spd in 2009.

This truck has been incredibly reliable over the last 12+ years, and as far as I can remember there have only been 3 issues (not including maintenance items or trail damage). 1) The stock bushings for the clutch pedal tend to fail. I replaced them several times until I solved the issue by upgrading to DIY nylon bushings. 2) The starter contacts get worn and can stick causing the solenoid to stay engaged or else not engage, I've had both happen once. 3) The driver's side door locks don't work when the sun heats up that side of the truck. Supposedly the fix is to replace the electric motors, which I've had sitting on my workbench for 3 years.

Oh, and a few months ago the front ADD stopped engaging because the sensor switch was making intermittent contact. What an unreliable piece of junk, 4 problems in 12 years. :)

The few common issues for 3rd gens tend to be:
- Leaking rear diff seals
- Pink milkshake (leak between tranny cooler and radiator on automatics)
- Failed lower ball joints, this actually isn't "common" and is usually ones that are way past when they should have been replaced

For me, the few downsides of the platform are
- Limited driver's headroom, I'm 6'1" and hit my head on the roof sometimes on bumps
- Smallish gas tank results in < 300mi range
- Narrow width is great on tight trails, but makes it a bit tippy in offcamber situations

I've also been looking into potential replacements for my 3rd gen T4R. In fact I bought a 2nd gen Tacoma several years ago and while I like the truck, the 4Runner works better for me. The build quality of the 4Runner is noticeably better, from the size of electrical wires and connections to the frame everything is more "beefy". And I'm pretty sure the 4Runner has a higher payload rating than the Tacoma (TRD Offroad = 1370lbs). I've also checked out the 5th gen, GX460, LC200, and a few other platforms but none have been a good fit yet. We'll see what the 6th gen has to offer.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The GX460 is a solid replacement but it's really really old having been released in late 2009 and pretty much substantively the same especially on the safety front. I still don't think it's been crash tested. Headroom also isn't awesome and the gas mileage isn't very good. I liked mine a lot but it wasn't fun to drive like a 3rd gen 4runner. Also didn't have any personality.

GX470 with a supercharger would also be pretty fun but they're even older and stupid priced now. Yes they're reliable but old rubber leaks and crumbles.

Bronco is the best modern replacement and drives pretty great. Just give it a few years for demand to normalize and quality control to improve.

bkg

Explorer

I remember when you bought that truck (4x4 wire days) after selling the extracab. Glad to see it's still service you well.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I've also been looking into potential replacements for my 3rd gen T4R. In fact I bought a 2nd gen Tacoma several years ago and while I like the truck, the 4Runner works better for me. The build quality of the 4Runner is noticeably better, from the size of electrical wires and connections to the frame everything is more "beefy". And I'm pretty sure the 4Runner has a higher payload rating than the Tacoma (TRD Offroad = 1370lbs). I've also checked out the 5th gen, GX460, LC200, and a few other platforms but none have been a good fit yet. We'll see what the 6th gen has to offer.

Hey Matt! Wow, that photo brought back some memories--that was a LONG time ago!

I am excited to see what Toyota does powertrain-wise with the 6th gen. If the RAV4 Prime and the new twin turbo V6 are any indication, it looks promising. I drove the RAV4 Prime and while the vehicle is too small and lacking the kind of off-road capability I want, having 42 miles of all-electric range and 302 hp combined is very compelling. Most of my driving is within a few miles these days, so I could really benefit from a hybrid-type drivetrain. PHEV would be ideal for my commute. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope Toyota doesn't over-style it either.

I remember when you bought that truck (4x4 wire days) after selling the extracab. Glad to see it's still service you well.

Hey Brian! Served me well, it has.
I realized the other day that driving Toyota trucks for the past 29 years has basically cost me nothing. I bought my '87 Xtra Cab for $6,000 and sold it four years later for $7,500. My '94 Xtra Cab was $13,800 and it sold in a few hours 8 years later for $9,500. My 3rd gen was $17,000 back in 2005. These are going for mid-to-high-20s now. Talk about low cost of ownership!

Ken

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
Is there a rumor of Prime version of 6th Gen? Wow, that would be awesome. 30 mile electric only range would be plenty for me on a daily basis as well. Then gas engine for backcountry adventures.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Is there a rumor of Prime version of 6th Gen? Wow, that would be awesome. 30 mile electric only range would be plenty for me on a daily basis as well. Then gas engine for backcountry adventures.

Toyota indicated they plan to electrify all future models. The new Tundra is available in hybrid form, so I can't imagine why the 4Runner would not. Whether or not a PHEV version will be available is another question. Imagine enjoying the backcountry without listening to the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior