Longevity/Personal Experiences with BFG's Older KM1s

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I was just curious about how well BFG's older KM1s hold up as far as tread life goes to get an idea of how much time I have to save money towards a new set of tires. I currently run a set JK takeoffs on my Jeep TJ that were advertised as "half tread", not entirely sure how accurate that statement is, with the original spare never being thrown into rotation until 3000 miles ago. I hear mixed reviews about tread life of these tires from 25k, 40k, and all the way up to 80k miles(something I normally hear associated with BFG's KOs/KO2s). For an idea of where my tires go, 90% pavement with the other 10% off road averaging around 8k miles a year. Main reason I'm concerned, these tires are fine for most of my driving and have actually impressed me being as tame as they are, but are scary anytime I'm on wet roads.

I'm having issues posting photos due to file size of the tread depth with a quarter to show tread depth, but for reference: 3 of the treads fall right at the top of the words "TRUST" on the face side of a quarter, one tread is chopped fairly bad and fluctuates above and below the same words, and the original spare is at the top or a little above of the words "IN GOD WE" on the face side of a quarter. I'll try resizing the files and get them posted in a separate reply.
 

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I believe they still sell the new JK with km's from the factory, but you can always tell their age by the date code on the sidewall, google images will show you pictures of where to look.
 

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I believe they still sell the new JK with km's from the factory, but you can always tell their age by the date code on the sidewall, google images will show you pictures of where to look.
I should have specified that the takeoffs are from a 2013 JK, so around 3 years old. The age of the tires isn't exactly my concern as there are no signs of dry rotting or anything of that sort besides the one tire having some chop to the tread. Just curious about the tread life and they hold up longterm.
 

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Not the best photos due to the angle to show where the tread falls on the quarter but there you go

20160601_175420.jpgHere is the original spare so almost at 100% tread
20160601_175339.jpgChopped tire (current spare)
20160601_175307.jpgOne of the other 3 tires with similar tread depth
 

4x4junkie

Explorer
I had a set of 35x12.50R15 KM(1)s for about 5 years on mine.

They had a good 33K miles on them before hitting approx 50% tread wear (or about 10/32" depth left). I ended up having to replace them due to severe chunking of the tread from rocks.

Mud treads as a general rule don't grip wet asphalt well.
 

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I had a set of 35x12.50R15 KM(1)s for about 5 years on mine.

They had a good 33K miles on them before hitting approx 50% tread wear (or about 10/32" depth left). I ended up having to replace them due to severe chunking of the tread from rocks.

Mud treads as a general rule don't grip wet asphalt well.
That's what I needed to know. Thanks
 
Top