Longest sleeping platform in a truck.

Safari997

GMT800 look awsome. Here in Québec, we Can find one at 250000km (156000mi) for 7000$ CAD (5500$USD).
Is a GMT800 could give me between 16/20 MPG?
It’s for long trop drive (Qc-Alaska)

Safari997

From the back of the front seat and console of the GMT800 suburban to the inside of the lift gate is just over 96" or 8'.

If you're in Kanuckistan that 2.43 meters but I presume Canadians buy their plywood in 4' x 8' sheets just like those of us South of the 49th Parallel. ;) Plenty of room for a sleeping platform of just about any size.

Nice thing about the GMT800 is that you can fold the back seats (2nd row) down and have a nice, flat load deck. The 3rd row removes completely. If you build your platform so it is removable you can still flip the 2nd row seats back up and carry passengers.

Note that the Suburban (and Tahoe) don't really have "fender wells" like the 4runner and other SUVs. Instead, there are big plastic interior body panels that completely cover the inner fenders. What I'm saying here is that on some vehicles building a platform will get you a wider sleeping area but on the Burb it's not like that, your sleeping area is still only going to be a little over 4' wide unless you remove the interior body panels too.

I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

View attachment 442721
This is with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd row folded flat. The right side fender cover contains the sub woofer, the left side contains the spare tire tools.

View attachment 442722

Close up of the footwell covers that flip up to allow for the 3rd row passengers feet, or flip down to allow for a flat load deck. If you shop for a Suburban, make sure these are on the back of the 2nd row seats. From what I've heard, these were optional items and not all Suburbans have them (or else they were removed by previous owners.)

Here's my measurement of the cargo area: Exactly 96" (8'.)

View attachment 442723

Even with all 3 rows of seats in place there is still an impressive 32" of cargo area behind the back seat:

View attachment 442724

View attachment 442725
Thanks so much. It is exactly the good size. I think i could remove booth side to make it more like 52/55 inchs wide.

Safari997

I suggest you PM some of the Suburban owners any specific questions on specs. and mods.
A pickup with a Craig's list cap might widen your chances of finding something workable.
You may have to reevaluate your mileage criteria,I suggest looking at gas vehicles and settle for 10 MPG as a more reasonable goal.... considering your price range.
10MPG on HWY? Not better than that, even for GMT800 ? 15GPM could be the worst i could handle with the price of gas here in Québec and Canada! It’s almost double from US!

Safari997

You will need twice the budget for a 7.3 Ex, probably have a hard time finding even a pickup 7.3 for under 10k.
Yeah, i saw that. but i can go up in millage of a used. 200k is still ok. I think if i take the time and wait for the good opportunity, it’s possible. But like my friend says, have to check the injectors.

Cyph86

GMT800 look awsome. Here in Québec, we Can find one at 250000km (156000mi) for 7000$ CAD (5500$USD).
Is a GMT800 could give me between 16/20 MPG?
It’s for long trop drive (Qc-Alaska)
You aren't going to find any gas truck that gives you 20 mpg. In that price range you're looking at a early duramax Chevy or a early 2000s dodge Cummins. The Ford's in your price range have to many common problems. I have a LB7 duramax ext cab short bed. I'm 6"1 and have no trouble in it. The truck is 19ft long but you can get anywhere the smaller boys can with a good line. Sleeping in the back is great with a shell. The 6"6in of space let's you stretch out. Match that with a tool box under the platform like the pack rat by weather tech and you're golden. I would recommend the LBZ duramax tho haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles