Long term JKUR

lenny6753

I've been pondering this for awhile now but would like to hear some other's opinions. I have a 2015 JKUR Hardrock edition which I absolutely love and have modified it up to this point just how I want. I purchased the Jeep new and also purchased the lifetime Mopar extended warranty. The Jeep now has 136,000 miles on it and has been reliable with only two small hiccups(had two cam shafts and some lifters replaced under warranty as well as the oil cooler replaced another time) and is well maintained. I would like to try and keep this Jeep long term(another 10 years or more).

That being said I'm thinking of purchasing an Ursa Minor J30 for it. I guess what I'm getting at is it is a large purchase for a Jeep with high mileage. Anyone have any opinions on keeping a Jeep running for that time frame(another 10 years or more)? I don't mind having worn parts replaced as needed. Anyone have experience with JKU's with higher mileage and still being reliable? By the way, I despise car payments so I won't be purchasing a new vehicle any time soon, it's more about the cost of J30 for a high mileage JKU. Thanks.

Superduty

Adventurer
What does the lifetime warranty cover? That could make keeping an older vehicle much more palatable.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

lenny6753

Basically it covers the drivetrain, most electrical components, ecm, a/c, etc. The warranty expiration is 998,000 miles or 2098 whichever comes first. Lol. I'm sure at some point they(FCA) will refuse to pay for something, but it hasn't happened yet. The cam shafts and lifters were replaced at about 130,000 miles. There is a $100.00 deductible for covered service.

lenny6753

I see people who keep Toyotas running for decades(Landcruisers, Forerunners, Tacomas) and lots of miles. Would like to do similar with the Jeep. I've never kept a vehicle for longer than about 10 years in the past. With the cost of a new vehicle now days and all the modifications I have on my Jeep I wouldn't want to spend that much ever again.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I can't speak for long term but I would say based off of parts availability, easiness to work on, engine options and the used market you would be safe. Many people have a Jeep as a third vehicle so push come to shove you would be able to buy a low mileage vehicle and transfer over fairly easily. As a brand there are quite a few Cherokees, CJs, and TJs still out there.

Jurfie

Adventurer
You've done 138k miles in ~5 years, so by aiming for another 10 you will be trying to get to >400k miles. It's doable. I've had two vehicles that reached 500k km (~310k miles); a 1990 Chevy S-10 and a 2002 Acura RSX. I did very little maintenance other than oil changes to either after they hit around 300k km (~180k miles) as I assumed they were on their last legs and on borrowed time anyways. I eventually sold both for $500 each just to get rid of them when I got my JK (in 2014) and Audi (in 2016).

I assume if you are willing to put the effort into keeping it well-maintained it should go a long way. My only concern would be if something broke (even if covered under warranty) at an inopportune time while miles off road and away from civilization. If you are with another vehicle on the trail, it would be less disastrous, but I'm not sure if the warranty would cover preventative maintenance/replacement of catastrophic parts (I'd be surprised).

A lifetime warranty is sweet, though; I wish I'd had that option as I (as noted above) tend to drive vehicles for a long time before replacing them. I just had to replace both front wheel bearings in my Audi out of warranty (by 750 miles). That was $1,700 (~$1,300 USD) out of my pocket that would have been covered according to the dealer...:rolleyes:

jadmt

ignore button user
if it is a fca mopar factory warranty I believe they will cover until the cost of a repair is greater than the value of the vehicle and at that point will buy you out. Not sure you will get another 10 years at your current rate but for sure another 5 years so at that point the value will be pretty low so you may as well drive it until it won't drive no more. The value of the j30 will still be worth something and easy to unload should the time come.

jeepers29

We have a 14 with 95 k and the lifetime warranty. I have decided that we will drive the jeep until the warranty is denied or bought out as mentioned earlier. Might as well get full use out of the extended warranty. Our 14 has been very reliable on many adventures, other than the oil cooler which is just a stupid design. I also, have all the maintenance done at at least the recommended intervals or earlier.

lenny6753

Thanks for all the responses. I plan on keeping it until it's just no longer reliable and is denied. I'll most likely hold off on the J30 as I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend that amount of money on a vehicle with so many miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior