Long-term Feedback request: Daystar Airbag Cradles

MotoDave

Explorer
I have a 2012 Tundra that carries a FWC Hawk to which I recently installed airbags to help carry the load. I'm really happy with the airbags from a ride perspective, they made a very positive improvement to how the truck carries the weight of the camper and they had no negative effect to how it rides unloaded, but I had an issue with over-extending an airbag on my last trip out. The most promising solution so far is the Daystar Airbag Cradle: http://daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232

daystar-airbag-cradle-install.jpg

I know a few members here have mentioned using the Daystar Airbag Cradles so I thought I'd solicit some feedback from those who have put some miles on them.

My specific concerns:
- Any issues with the airbags not 'seating' correctly?
- Any issues with wear on the bags from dirt/rocks accumulating in the cradle?

Any other feedback or suggestions is welcomed, but this thread is mainly for feedback on the Daystar Airbag Cradles.

Rando

Explorer
I can't give you any long term feedback, as I just installed mine in preparation for a FWC fleet flatbed. They are extremely easy to install, and they line up perfectly with the bottom of the bag. As for rock and dirt accumulation, I don't think this will be an issue for several reasons - unless you are very flexed the bag is in the cradle so there is not much opportunity for dirt to get into the cradle. Secondly the bottom of the cradle is an open framework, so it shouldn't really accumulate dirt. Finally, the bottom of the ride rite air bags anyway, are a metal plate so I doubt you would damage them. That all said, I would also be keen to hear a long term report.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have had Daystar cradles on my 3G Power wagon for about 13 months. They went on as part of a suspension upgrade that included Carli leaf packs, Thuren Fox shocks, and Firestone airbags to handle the heavy load that I always seem to have. Cradles were fine, but in July we noticed that one of them had broken in half and a big section was just missing. Bags still worked, but right side cradle was useless and bag was probably in jeopardy. I called Daystar on Monday morning and they asked if I was the guy who had emailed them on Saturday about the same problem. Nope. Two of us with broken cradles within three days. Daystar said it may have been a bad production run and immediately sent me a fresh pair, no other questions asked. New ones have about 2500 miles on them and seem fine. Several guys on the PW Forum have them and like them. I think Firestone recommends against them, but that's probably just their lawyers talking.

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
Noob question: without said cradles, do the bags just ride on top of the leaf pack?
Airbags typically attach to the frame and then the axle or above leaf where it attaches to the axle. The fact that they are attached to top and bottom is fine if you never go offroad and flex the rear suspension to the limits. When flexing it offroad it would hyper-extend the bags and damage them. With a cradle it only attaches to the frame and then won't get damaged when flexed. The cradle acts as the lower contact point. Hope that made sense.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
They've been working great on our Tacoma for over a year now. That's about 12000 miles of daily driving and camping trips

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MotoDave

Explorer
Awesome guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I was pretty discouraged that I damaged a bag on the first offroad trip out, since they really made a good difference to how my Tundra handles the weight of the camper, so I am glad that these seem to be a solid option. I'll weigh back in after I've had a chance to put them to the test for a few trips.

Happy Heathen

Hi. I have these on a stock Tacoma. I’m about to put in new Deaver springs. According to Deaver it should give me a two inch lift. Will I need to add spacers to my cradles to account for the lift? Daystar gave me a part number for some Tuff country spacers but I’m not sure I wanna trust that brand.
Thanks. 356A9682-1B78-4792-99FD-8AFDC191440D.jpeg

Brick Top

Why not just unbolt the bottom of the bag? In the first picture it seems as if the lower mounting bracket gives plenty of support for the bag, Where is the bag going to go if not "cradled"? Turn sideways?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Hi. I have these on a stock Tacoma. I’m about to put in new Deaver springs. According to Deaver it should give me a two inch lift. Will I need to add spacers to my cradles to account for the lift? Daystar gave me a part number for some Tuff country spacers but I’m not sure I wanna trust that brand.
Thanks. View attachment 586260
If your airbags have the Daystar cradles, you're all set. The lift will just unseat the bags from the cradles.

I've got the OME Dakar HDs on mine now with no affect on the bags or their function

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
Had them on my previous truck for many years. When I sold it I kept the Daystar cradles. When I installed air bags on the current truck, I just bolted the bags on because I couldn't find the cradles and needed the bags for relocating a large-ish load 1000km one way. I recently found the cradles in my pile of crap and installed them this morning.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why not just unbolt the bottom of the bag? In the first picture it seems as if the lower mounting bracket gives plenty of support for the bag, Where is the bag going to go if not "cradled"? Turn sideways?

Yep. It'll try to squirt out.

Sumo Rebel springs will be what I try next. Same idea, but no air. The foam spring splits in half to allow full droop.

Brick Top

Yep. It'll try to squirt out.

OK, good. After looking in my rear wheel well (2000 Dodge 2500) at the huge flat support for the bag to rest on, I was feeling like a bit of a sucker for ordering the daystar cradles.

I did unbolt the bottom of the bag anyway, and navigated some trails this weekend with no signs of squirting.

Thanks for the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles