Long Range Aux Tanks From OZ? (possible group buy)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
That is great news! :clapsmile I am onboard and finacially commited as of now.

Just think total of 69 gal of gas at roughly 2.29 = 158.01 for a fill up :)

69 gal X 12 mpg = 828 miles

If we buy gas at the best price this could pay for itself in short order :ylsmoke:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Desertdude said:
That is great news! :clapsmile I am onboard and finacially commited as of now.

Just think total of 69 gal of gas at roughly 2.29 = 158.01 for a fill up :)

69 gal X 12 mpg = 828 miles

If we buy gas at the best price this could pay for itself in short order :ylsmoke:

Copy That!!! :clapsmile

This is going to be a cool "Group Project" via LOTS of emails with install tips and such!

I will be doing a HUGE and VERY detailed writeup of this!

I have been meaning to fab up a rear bumper and have lacked the motivation, now that i am going to be putting a tank there, i will be forced to move the tire and therefore forced to fab up a new rear bumper!

Its a win win! :jump:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
yeah ain't it great! Gas in DeathValley at Furnace Creek Ranch
$3.049 that is cheap! it was 3.79 last visit in the fall ;)

Looking forward to being in the Long Ranger club :victory:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
duel filler neck - clean!

Thanks to Kevins advice - this came from Paul at Spector - nice -clean - inexpensive - will be an easy mod to angle the fuel into the LR tank - check out the nifty pull door to move the gas to either fill tube - very slick!:victory:

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 25

blupaddler

Conspirator
Congrats Pasquale!!!

That thing is really clean. And it looks like it is an unleaded not diesel version. Also, the ones you guys got have the longer bracket so you can mount it without having to make a bracket like I did.

:D

asteffes

Explorer
So what's a good way for me to begin investigating a larger, or secondary, tank for my '06 Tacoma? I have no idea where to begin, and have no idea if there is anything out there for these trucks, but the idea of a roughly 800-900 mile range has always been tempting. I wish all cars had, say, 25-50 gallon tanks. :)

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
hmmmm guess we got lucky - Looks like it needs a tiny rubber grommet for the door puller - other than that I am very stoked

Robb - what did you need to get for the tank to be read by the OEM panel fuel gauge?

Kevin - do I need to get a sending unit from Cdan ?

blupaddler

Conspirator
My filler neck is just straight tubing. This accepts the larger diesel nozzles. From what I can tell from looking at yours (Kevin) & Pasquales, they both have some sort of limiting device. It's the welded in piece just inside of the outer ring that holds the fuel cap on.

Kevin, let me know when you want the copies. Also, remind me how much the aux fuel gauge costs. Does the altimeter actually work too?

Pasquale, I might have to "hand" deliver yours.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Pasquale, I must have missed your post while writting. Sorry.

Good idea on the rubber gromet on the pull-lever. Actually, if you look at your current gas cap and the surrounding black plastic. There is a small circle to the right and a little lower than the cap. This is where the lever will come out. Also, remember that the handle on the lever unscrews, so you only need to drill a "little" hole. ;)

Have you guys bought George's control box?

Regarding the fuel guage...The sending unit in the "new" sub tank is wired to the OEM guage in the Dash. You then have a two way toggle switch. This will allow you to monitor one tank at a time. Just not both at the same time. :rolleyes:
Pasquale, I have the wiring directions that Slee made up for the sub tank. These are based on using the sub-tank switch, and George's control box. I saved the directions and will be making copies.

:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier