Long Range Aux Tanks From OZ? (possible group buy)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
blupaddler said:
Kevin, let me know when you want the copies.

Whenever works for you!

blupaddler said:
Also, remind me how much the aux fuel gauge costs. Does the altimeter actually work too?

Found a few of them in OZ for $80 or so and yes the altimiter works, i tested mine this weekend at the smugglers run. The alt is a stand alone unit and no wiring is involved!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
asteffes said:
So what's a good way for me to begin investigating a larger, or secondary, tank for my '06 Tacoma? I have no idea where to begin, and have no idea if there is anything out there for these trucks, but the idea of a roughly 800-900 mile range has always been tempting. I wish all cars had, say, 25-50 gallon tanks. :)

Check This:

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/=Hilux%Series%2.asp

and this:

http://www.oot4wd.com.au/=Hilux%Series%3.asp

Same Company that is making the tanks for the 80 series!

Also, try these guys as well:

http://www.oppositelock.com.au

Good luck! Took me almost 6 months to get this going! :D

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
blupaddler said:
Regarding the fuel guage...The sending unit in the "new" sub tank is wired to the OEM guage in the Dash. You then have a two way toggle switch. This will allow you to monitor one tank at a time. Just not both at the same time. :rolleyes:

Pasquale, I have the wiring directions that Slee made up for the sub tank. These are based on using the sub-tank switch, and George's control box. I saved the directions and will be making copies.
:victory:

I am hoping that wiring the NEW sender to the overhead subtank gauge, should, in theory, be close to the same. I am having a hell of a time trying to get my hands on an OZ spec wiring diagram! :D

blupaddler

Conspirator
I HAD a Carter fuel pump.

It worked great, was super heavy-duty, and easy to install. I got the one designed for the marine environment, which was a little more expensive. The only problem I had was finding a mounting location. The location I ended up using was not high enough, and while traveling down a Baja road, I broke the Carter pump. One of the control arms came up and whacked the thing really good. The directions require the pump to be mounted in a certain direction, up and down. Thus mounting locations were tricky. Slee said they mounted one back by the rear bumper. I just didn't want to have a long fuel line run.

SIDE NOTE: My 80 does NOT have bump stops inside my rear springs. I believe, if I had the bump stops, this may have prevented my pump from breaking.

Currently I am using a generic transfer pump that I got from Napa. It was a LOT cheaper ($30) than the Carter ($110). The pump rate is around 30 gph. Which is kinda slow. You can also hear more of a knock-knock-knock noise as it's pumping, compared to the whirr that the Carter made. But, it works for now. The Napa one is also smaller than the Carter.

Hope this helps.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne