Long Range America replacement tank for 80 series

jgallo1

Adventurer
I have a 24 gal LRA tank in my 80.

Pros: I think you know these by now, but not having to worry with jerry cans and the space they take up is really really nice. Especially if you mount them high. Thats for the birds.

Cons: Spare tire has to be relocated. Most people will have a 35 and higher so this doesn't apply, but if you're on 33s then you gotta find a spot for it.
Weight is a factor, yes, but I've done the Rubicon with my tank full it performed perfectly fine. Much better than it would have if I had Jerrys mounted on a roof rack or rear bumper.
I think if / when I add the LRA tank, I will go with the stick replacement.

3rdtimer

Hi, I have a 1998 4runner and am considering the LRA 29g aux fuel tank. Has anyone had problems with CA smog checks and the visual inspection after they've added an aux fuel tank?

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
I have always had 2 tanks on the - sorry guys - Land Rovers and on the OneTen we have 2 x 86 ltrs. low between the chassis rails. This gives roughly 1.500 kms. easily getting somewhere and about 900 when working hard in the fields.
I do not like 1 big tank for a few reasons :
- some countries get funny when carrying fuel in not OEM tanks when they want to find something and make money
- dodgy fuel in one tank leaves you with another usu-able one
- a fuel leak / theft leaves you with some fuel left in the other tank
- better weight distribution (2nd tank is in between the axles)
- less condensation to worry about

Wiring is easy, 2 fillers (one hidden), small pump and a switch & gauge.

alia176

Explorer
Great info here on this thread.

About 5 years ago I went on an amazing trip through Utah and Nevada with some other 80 series cruisers. One of us had an auxiliary tank. Guess what, he could only go as far as the guy with the least amount of gas. That was an interesting observation. We chatted about that around a camp fire. Basically he said it's great and loves it, but really it's only a benefit when he is solo. if he is with a group, there's no advantage to him if everyone else is running out of gas.

The entire trip the rest of us were hauling jerry cans and dumping them in on occasion, but he was hauling more water and food!

This is exactly my point, just because I have an extra 15g (oem subtank) carrying cap, doesn't mean that I'm always going to utilize it. I have to stop at the gas station with everone else anyway, LOL!!

However, one pro of having 40g of fuel is that I can fill up at my local Costco for the cheapest fuel (usually) then go to the mountains, return home with plenty of fuel to spare. Whereas, the other rigs have to fill up with expensive fuel on the return trip home after wheeling. I have to purchase premium for the turboe'd 80.

As mentioned alreay, when I'm solo is when I really notice the "pro" of having so much fuel carrying cap. On trips when others are tipping in their jerry cans into their main fuel tank, it's nice to just press a button and keep driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz