Long flatbed on a short bed truck? Head of it?

Luckychase5

Adventurer
So ya, that the gist of it. I’m going to look at a really nice truck, AEV bender, lift, UTE flatbed, deaver leaf springs, 2016 Ram CTD, Aisin trans. I’ve just never heard of a 8.5 flatbed on a short bed frame. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
Careful of how much weight you put behind the rear axle. Being a short bed that will be easy to do.

Personally I would just go with a regular cab long bed and add the AEV stuff if that's your thing. I think the Ute flatbeds are overpriced anyways

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Careful of how much weight you put behind the rear axle. Being a short bed that will be easy to do.

Personally I would just go with a regular cab long bed and add the AEV stuff if that's your thing. I think the Ute flatbeds are overpriced anyways

This is an already built truck, for a great price. I’ll be looking at it soon, hopefully...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
When I built our truck, I did essentially the same thing.... add a longer bed than the truck was built for...

Its a 10' bed on a long bed (8') Superduty.

I added 24" of to the rear of our super-duty to make room for the cross-body box, while retaining a full 96" bed.
The camper COG as built is very far forward keeping the overall truck + camper COG well within check.

Just watch your weight behind that axle, and be prepared to address the rear suspension, as it adds leverage to the rear.

29352969227_6b617694e0_h.jpg

48541440247_ac30f1c76a_h.jpg

Renntag

Adventurer
Departure angles will be compromised. Consider the leveraging of weight behind the axle centerline.

On another note:
That F series camper looks awesome!

Simons

Adventurer
Popular down under behind crew cab mini trucks. Problem only arises when you overload. You end up stressing the frame and possibly bending it. Keep your payload #’s and positioning in check and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
f4405b687d56d0ddc09e50e6f31698a2.jpg
7e7eeae295f3b5570aebba1426cbe8b8.jpg
16b586a0f37e836afc4d99fb05e8937e.jpg

Last edited:

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Ya, here is a picture of the truck. I might contact the manufacturer to see if it could also work for long bed trucks, and sell it. I’ll only be putting a small camper on the back. Something around 1500lbs. And I will put it as far foreword as possible. I’m into the truck as a whole. Lots of quality parts, recipes, service records, 15000 more miles if warranty...

8e4d4a24966009fae1ff5d74d8b050a0.jpg

14110d4788be03870483977fa58b510d.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Most of these look like a really bad idea. Every pound behind the rear axle, removes weight from the front axle. Like a teeter totter. Keep as much weight as possible inside the wheelbase, never outside.

End result: No front brakes, piss poor towing stability, sensitivity to cross winds. Been there, done that.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Most of these look like a really bad idea. Every pound behind the rear axle, removes weight from the front axle. Like a teeter totter. Keep as much weight as possible inside the wheelbase, never outside.

End result: No front brakes, piss poor towing stability, sensitivity to cross winds. Been there, done that.

Exactly

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ya, here is a picture of the truck. I might contact the manufacturer to see if it could also work for long bed trucks, and sell it. I’ll only be putting a small camper on the back. Something around 1500lbs. And I will put it as far foreword as possible. I’m into the truck as a whole. Lots of quality parts, recipes, service records, 15000 more miles if warranty...

8e4d4a24966009fae1ff5d74d8b050a0.jpg

I wouldn't worry about that setup at all, provided the bed is securely mounted. Ideally, you want a frame extension to do it correctly.

For the ones that shun such an idea, you might want to look at how many RV and Toter builds are done.
There are some LONG frame extensions used, and frame failures are non-existent.

ebay-coachmen-21.jpg

There are also hitch extensions that are used all the time,
that will put just as much or more leverage on the rear as a properly done extension.

Again, no frame failures to speak of.

full_rig.JPG

At least with good C-channel frames on domestics.

There is good reason why EVERY photo posted in this thread showing a taco'd truck frame is an import.

Frame failure on domestic trucks is not a thing. Never has been.
Beat on anything enough, hard enough, and it will fail, but it is far from common.

Lots of benefits to simply extend the rear as well.

No frame splice needed, no custom driveshaft needed, extended fuel lines, brake lines, etc, not needed.
You also dont kill your turning radius, or your break-over angles.

Alloy

I wouldn't worry about that setup at all, provided the bed is securely mounted. Ideally, you want a frame extension to do it correctly.

For the ones that shun such an idea, you might want to look at how many RV and Toter builds are done.
There are some LONG frame extensions used, and frame failures are non-existent.

ebay-coachmen-21.jpg

There are also hitch extensions that are used all the time,
that will put just as much or more leverage on the rear as a properly done extension.

Again, no frame failures to speak of.

full_rig.JPG

At least with good C-channel frames on domestics.

There is good reason why EVERY photo posted in this thread showing a taco'd truck frame is an import.

Frame failure on domestic trucks is not a thing. Never has been.
Beat on anything enough, hard enough, and it will fail, but it is far from common.

Lots of benefits to simply extend the rear as well.

No frame splice needed, no custom driveshaft needed, extended fuel lines, brake lines, etc, not needed.
You also dont kill your turning radius, or your break-over angles.

1582758746850.png

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Perhaps you should provide the back story to that one, instead of assuming it applies.

Just sayin ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles