"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

bijanjames

Adventurer
Okay, time for a few updates. Let's start with this one:

One of my best friends decided he was jealous and picked up this gem.

2008 Xterra Off Road. 6 speed, Rockford Fosgate, beautiful condition, AT tires, about 89k on the clock. He picked it up for a song and is in the process of modding the piss out of it. Already has sliders and suspension coming for it, and we installed a Shrock engine skid about a week after he picked it up. Super nice rig. He has plans for making it an ultimate overland machine.

Nice Xterra, I like the yellow.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
After that trip, I had a bit of momentum going. So, a few days later, we decided to go do some exploring for a few hours just outside of the town of Red Lodge. Red Lodge is one of my favorite haunts, and it boasts easy access to some truly amazing places.

I tried gaining access to the Glacier Lake hiking trail, which is on the end of the very scenic Rock Creek Road, but the road looked like this.

With the rising temperatures, the snow was getting crusty and sticky, so we decided to abandon our pursuit. Making our way back towards Red Lodge, we decided to make a shorter hike towards Greenough Lake and beyond to see what there was to see. The trail to Greenough itself is very short, only a quarter mile. But beyond, the scenery gets better and it's a nice hike through the woods.

We decided to stop at this viewpoint, which overlooks the rising Beartooth Plateau. we hung around for a little while, but soon had to turn back so we could make it home in time for people to scurry off to work.

About a week later, I was itching to get out again. I had read about a scenic dirt route between Big Timber and Livingston, MT that doubled the time it took to get there. Sounded right up my alley! While I was in the area, I had to check out the Main Boulder Road, the start of my favorite off road trail going up to Independence Mine. The valley is a very special place to me and to my soon-to-be wife, who tagged along for this run.

The Absaroka-Beartooth mountains rise up around you as you move into the valley. It feels like they're beckoning you back to a life of adventure and simplicity. I love it. After driving a ways into the valley, we happened upon a landmark that always had us curious. There's this bridge that goes over the Boulder River with no markings, no trail map, nothing. So we figured we needed to go see where it went.

Once across the bridge, we were immediately swallowed by the forest. It was a wonderful feeling. Unfortunately, we never found a trail marker or a sign of any kind, and had to head back to the truck.

Now for the fun part - the West Boulder/Swingley Road backcountry route to Livingston. I kind of knew about the existence of this road for a while, but never went looking for it until now. Now we had an afternoon to kill, an unexplored route, and plenty of gas. A perfect recipe for a great day trip! I turned off onto the West Boulder road and aired down.

The route itself is nothing difficult. Most cars will have no problem here. It's just a fun way to get into the backcountry and see some real Montana backroads. Airing down helps with the washboards but it isn't really necessary. The road really is a gem though.

It winds it's way through some great scenery. This particular offshoot takes you to a campground and the start of a hiking trail. It would be an awesome place to go fishing, as the river runs right by the campsites. The day was a bit damp though, so I saw a lot of this.

And, because we were in ranch country, a lot of these.

After enjoying the offshoot, we joined back up with the main road as the rain kept falling. We just sat back and took in the scenery.

Soon though, the dirt came to an end and we rejoined polite society before rolling into Livingston. This is a town that has taken me completely by surprise. I used to think Livingston was a boring, uninteresting, windy place that you passed through when you were on your way to Bozeman. Turns out, it's actually awesome. It sports a charming downtown district, lots of cool old homes, two (yes, two) breweries, and tons of great places to eat. Add in the cool little shops, a short drive to the Chico Hot Springs resort, and a slightly longer but even prettier drive to Yellowstone, and you've got the makings of one great place. To add to our list of Livingston visits, we pulled in to one of the coolest little places I've ever eaten.

This awesome little spot is Mark's In-And-Out Burger, a drive-up joint that has been in constant operation since the 1950's. Serving tasty 50's Americana wrapped in cheap paper, it's a must stop place in Livingston. We loved how tasty it was. And for two full meals, it was only $10.50! You can't even get that at most fast food joints anymore. This little burger shack will receive quite a few more visits to me before too long! While we were sitting out eating our burgers, a nicely-equipped UZJ100 rolled up for some dinner. Noticing my truck, he came over and we started to chat. We talked about places to go in the state, some of my mods, and various other things. Really nice guy.

To round out this visit, we popped in at one of the local breweries for a tasty pint. We sat and chatted for a little while to catch up to each other while enjoying one of Livingston's fine flavors. As we were sitting there, we hatched a plan to escape to Chico for a late afternoon dip in the naturally-fed pool. Trouble was, we didn't have any swimsuits. Lucky for us, Livingston has a perfect little cheap gift shop where we could pick up some low-brow swimwear and be on our way.

Chico is one of Montana's little secrets. This naturally-fed hot spring resort is in the heart of the aptly-named Paradise Valley, which forms the northern entrance (via Gardiner) to Yellowstone National Park. Chico has been used for countelss centuries as a place for people to relax in some naturally warm water. Eventually, it was bought from the local indigenous people and used as a resort. Then, during the early 1900's, Chico was purchased for the enormous sum of one cent. The buyer turned it into what it is today, and the rest is history. It's now one of our favorite haunts, and a great place to unwind while grabbing a beer from the poolside window.

We spent a few precious hours at Chico, enjoying the cool mountain air, fresh beer, and warm water before hitting the road and heading home. But not before talking about our next day trip.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Fantastic pictures of Montana. I love the State. We've travelled through it a number of times and will be heading through this July, to meet friends in Lolo, and continue on to Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Yeah, Montana will always be home to me. I'm lucky to live here. Too bad you're coming through in July. That month is already super packed for me!

Nice Xterra, I like the yellow.

Yeah my buddy is super excited about it! Can't wait to get it out on the trails.

jackflash

Observer
Question:

When you are running these amazing dirt roads, especially the wet ones, are you in 4hi or 2hi?

Also, I've read through your entire thread and forgive me if I missed it, but are you still running the r180 front diff and have you had any issues with it?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Question:

When you are running these amazing dirt roads, especially the wet ones, are you in 4hi or 2hi?

Also, I've read through your entire thread and forgive me if I missed it, but are you still running the r180 front diff and have you had any issues with it?

It mostly depends on the situation. If the roads are pretty solid and not very loose, I'll stay in 2wd. When things get loose or wet then I'll go into 4hi. Oftentimes I'll be in 4hi when it seems unnecessary, just in case. I'd rather have it engaged and not need it than get myself into trouble. Especially since my truck has a switch operated transfer case, it's just a matter of flipping a switch and upping my safety level.

Yep, still have the stock R180. Having zero problems with it thus far. Knock on wood. I'm pretty gentle with it though. I use my locker to keep wheelspin at bay, and I try hard to keep from knocking my truck around.

jackflash

Observer
It mostly depends on the situation. If the roads are pretty solid and not very loose, I'll stay in 2wd. When things get loose or wet then I'll go into 4hi. Oftentimes I'll be in 4hi when it seems unnecessary, just in case. I'd rather have it engaged and not need it than get myself into trouble. Especially since my truck has a switch operated transfer case, it's just a matter of flipping a switch and upping my safety level.

Yep, still have the stock R180. Having zero problems with it thus far. Knock on wood. I'm pretty gentle with it though. I use my locker to keep wheelspin at bay, and I try hard to keep from knocking my truck around.

That is pretty much what I thought. I pretty much do the same thing in regards to the 4hi on dirt roads.

Been reading the horror stories on the r180 diff. I do a bunch of back road, BFE traveling and the last thing I want to worry about is the front diff going south. I don't think I am hard on it and I watch the wheel spin. However, been thinking of swapping an m205 in there with pathfinder axles.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That is pretty much what I thought. I pretty much do the same thing in regards to the 4hi on dirt roads.

Been reading the horror stories on the r180 diff. I do a bunch of back road, BFE traveling and the last thing I want to worry about is the front diff going south. I don't think I am hard on it and I watch the wheel spin. However, been thinking of swapping an m205 in there with pathfinder axles.

I think the horror stories of the R180 are a bit overplayed. With good, careful driving techniques, I don't think you really need to worry much.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I was thinking the same thing, but have decided to go with the Lokka in my R180. From what I read it not only makes the diff stronger, it also reduces the stress because you don't get the loading and unloading of an open diff when offroad. As for handling characteristics it is great. Reminds me of a stiff LSD in my old FWD cars

Obrianmcc

Observer
I think the horror stories of the R180 are a bit overplayed. With good, careful driving techniques, I don't think you really need to worry much.

x2 ... all the stories I've come across had heavy wheeling involved (ie, high wheel spin with high traction like on slick rock, larger tires)

Dmski

Adventurer
Question:

I've always felt like the R180 is made of glass and just have to focus on not creating a lot of wheelspin when I'm climbing obstacles. Like others have said, most blow when there is too much skinny pedal involved, along with a rock or root that catches the wheel or if you are 3 wheeling and the wheel drops and catches. All no no's for this diff in stock form.

Now with a Lokka or ARB installed you remove those spider gears and now the diffs are extremely capable. Most end up breaking half shafts now which is (in my opinon) a much better thing to break than a full diff/housing.

bigskypylot

Explorer
The R180 isn't terrible but the weak link is the spider gears. Like was said before, just be judicious with the skinny pedal. That being said, I'll be upgrading to the 3RIB M205 titan swap next year along with some other surprises :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I've always felt like the R180 is made of glass and just have to focus on not creating a lot of wheelspin when I'm climbing obstacles. Like others have said, most blow when there is too much skinny pedal involved, along with a rock or root that catches the wheel or if you are 3 wheeling and the wheel drops and catches. All no no's for this diff in stock form.

Now with a Lokka or ARB installed you remove those spider gears and now the diffs are extremely capable. Most end up breaking half shafts now which is (in my opinon) a much better thing to break than a full diff/housing.

I'm heavily considering installing a Lokka for this exact reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online