"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Onboard air compressor is officially up and running. Thanks to the folks at ARB, I can now go from trail pressure to street pressure in 2 minutes and 45 seconds per tire. Much improved from the 5-6 minutes with my old small compressor!

nmatcek

Adventurer
Great idea with the pelican case install. Just something to consider though...that compressor will be pretty hot after airing up four tires. It will probably take a lot longer to cool down in an enclosed box so just keep that in mind....I'm sure you've already considered this but just thought I'd throw it out there. Love your truck. Tasteful, well plannned, well executed, and best of all well used.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I just read through the entire thread! Breathtaking pictures and a very well documented build.

Before reading this thread, I was deadset on a Tacoma. Now I think I would rather have a Frontier.
While the aftermarket accessories available for the Toyota are overwhelmingly greater, the Nissan does has the important stuff available.

I think the Frontier is a winner if you want to focus on a mild do-it-all trail rig. I just wish they made it in forest green!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great idea with the pelican case install. Just something to consider though...that compressor will be pretty hot after airing up four tires. It will probably take a lot longer to cool down in an enclosed box so just keep that in mind....I'm sure you've already considered this but just thought I'd throw it out there. Love your truck. Tasteful, well plannned, well executed, and best of all well used.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah, I've thought about that. I actually bought a valve cover breather to add to the box if I was concerned about the heat being a big issue. I'll just keep an eye on it for now and see what happens when I air up four tires. If I don't like it, I'll drill out a hole for the breather next to the compressor cylinder. I think it will be okay without, since I ran the compressor for about six to eight minutes straight and the ambient heat inside the box wasn't too bad. But like I said, I can always add the breather. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make sure to watch it like a hawk.

Hey thanks for reading! Lola is such a great rig. She's continually impressed me with what she's able to accomplish and the beating she'll withstand.

I think the setup I've built has accomplished my goal of building a capable, good looking, comfortable do-it-all rig. The idea was to maximize capability and usability for adventure travel while keeping it comfortable and usable for my day-to-day needs. I think it performs all this very well indeed.

I just read through the entire thread! Breathtaking pictures and a very well documented build.

Before reading this thread, I was deadset on a Tacoma. Now I think I would rather have a Frontier.
While the aftermarket accessories available for the Toyota are overwhelmingly greater, the Nissan does has the important stuff available.

I think the Frontier is a winner if you want to focus on a mild do-it-all trail rig. I just wish they made it in forest green!

Thanks very much! I greatly enjoy sharing my progress and my adventures with everyone on here. This is a great community.

Haha glad my thread let you see the potential for awesomeness the Frontier has. The thing of it is, the Frontier and the Tacoma are fairly evenly matched rigs. A properly equipped Fronty with a good driver will go just about all of the places a well-equipped Taco will go. The Tacoma will do the more difficult off road work easier, but the Fronty will still do it. Comparing them across the board, they're just so similar.

Both of them make great overland trucks. They both have their pros and cons. Here's where I think they differ the most:

Tacoma:
- more clearance under the doors
- better front end suspension travel
- much better aftermarket
- better fuel mileage
- lighter
- stronger front differential

Frontier:
- lower cost of entry
- much lower cost of entry
- more power
- more rear leg room
- stronger frame
- more interior storage cubbies
- it's different

Having been in and close to both rigs, I can tell you they're pretty much the same in every other way. Both make amazing overland/touring/exploring trucks. I'm very happy with my decision to own the Frontier, and very much recommend one.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I agree with your notes on the two rigs, I've driven both a bit, and definitely prefer the Fronty. Those reasons are about the same as mine for going with the Pathfinder over the 4runner.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
Having been in and close to both rigs, I can tell you they're pretty much the same in every other way. Both make amazing overland/touring/exploring trucks. I'm very happy with my decision to own the Frontier, and very much recommend one.

I believe the 3rd gen (2017) Nissan Frontier could be a game changer. Especially if it has a diesel option!

MTaco

Adventurer
How is your truck handling the extra weight up front with the winch? Do you think you will go with synthetic rope down the road or is it handling the weight just fine?

The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating going with the OME HD coils up front and ditching my 2.0 Sway a Ways. Before next summer I would like to have a winch and a group 31 battery so that will add a lot of weight. I know since I've added my Bull Bar my front coils softened up and I've had to crank them up twice just to keep it level.

Your rig is looking better every week! :drool: The only thing that would make it cooler is if it was a Tacoma. :sombrero:

fortel

Adventurer
Do you remember the item number or profile for your tailgate seal? I'm in the same boat with dust intrusion in my '12 Frontier and the seal on the tailgate idea is the best solution I've seen so far. If you still have the info on which seal you used I would appreciate it?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I agree with your notes on the two rigs, I've driven both a bit, and definitely prefer the Fronty. Those reasons are about the same as mine for going with the Pathfinder over the 4runner.

Yeah definitely. Both are great trucks with their own positives and negatives. I'm happy I decided on the less common one.

I believe the 3rd gen (2017) Nissan Frontier could be a game changer. Especially if it has a diesel option!

I can't tell you how excited I am for the next gen Frontier. The ROW NP300 is really awesome looking, and seems even more capable. With a turbo diesel, it'd be a complete winner. If they do make it, that will be my next truck. My only concern would be that the crew cab variant comes with coil rear suspension. Not necessarily a big deal, and will probably make it ride and flex better, but it remains to be seen how that will impact load bearing. Not that I'd leave it stock anyway :)

Fantastic truck! Makes me want one.

That would be one of the only vehicles that could pull me away from Jeep.

Thanks man! I love Lola, she's been such an awesome rig. Goes everywhere I want without any complaints. And it looks pretty darn cool while doing it :)

How is your truck handling the extra weight up front with the winch? Do you think you will go with synthetic rope down the road or is it handling the weight just fine?

The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating going with the OME HD coils up front and ditching my 2.0 Sway a Ways. Before next summer I would like to have a winch and a group 31 battery so that will add a lot of weight. I know since I've added my Bull Bar my front coils softened up and I've had to crank them up twice just to keep it level.

Your rig is looking better every week! :drool: The only thing that would make it cooler is if it was a Tacoma. :sombrero:

The coils did settle about 1/2". But I cranked them back up and all is well now. Other than that it handles the weight without any problems. No excessive body roll, almost no increase in brake dive, the truck barely seems to notice. I don't really see myself going to synthetic rope, the steel should be just fine. I might if the truck starts to struggle at full weight, but otherwise I don't feel like its necessary nos. If I was going to do it again though, I'd buy a Superwinch X9. Or a Comeup. More pulling power and more waterproof. Not that the VR8000 Is a bad winch, but the longevity is a little concerning to me. We'll see how it holds up.

Are you not liking your current coilovers? I have nothing but good things to say about OME, having owned several of their products before. So you really can't go wrong there, but I really enjoy the adjustability of my Radflos. Maybe you just need to get the OME BP51. :D Also, check out the Bilstein 6112s. They look really interesting and I've heard nothing but good things about those thus far.

Thanks man!

Psch... You Tacoma people... :D

Making it a Taco would not make it cooler just more main stream....

This! :D

Do you remember the item number or profile for your tailgate seal? I'm in the same boat with dust intrusion in my '12 Frontier and the seal on the tailgate idea is the best solution I've seen so far. If you still have the info on which seal you used I would appreciate it?

If I recall correctly, it's made by Access. I'll try to dig up a link for you.

WKexpedition

Built, not bought!
Just finished reading your whole thread. What an amazing truck and the adventures you have been on are simply breath taking. I hope to model my new frontier after yours!! Everything is purpose built, which I love. Gives it a nice clean capable look. Great job!!! Look forward to seeing what is next.

Quick question for you: I'm not looking to lift anytime soon but would like some better tires. I'm considering the generals but was wondering if you would still recommend 265/75-16 on an SV model? Is there enough room for flexing on the trail with that size tire? I know the nismo and pro4x come with that size stock but it's my understanding that they also have better shocks and higher rated springs. Any thoughts? Thanks!! Again amazing thread!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Just finished reading your whole thread. What an amazing truck and the adventures you have been on are simply breath taking. I hope to model my new frontier after yours!! Everything is purpose built, which I love. Gives it a nice clean capable look. Great job!!! Look forward to seeing what is next.

Quick question for you: I'm not looking to lift anytime soon but would like some better tires. I'm considering the generals but was wondering if you would still recommend 265/75-16 on an SV model? Is there enough room for flexing on the trail with that size tire? I know the nismo and pro4x come with that size stock but it's my understanding that they also have better shocks and higher rated springs. Any thoughts? Thanks!! Again amazing thread!

Thanks man! It's been a long road, but a fun one. I've really enjoyed building the truck and trying new things. I think it's gotten me a really good all around setup.

The Grabber AT2s in 265s would still be a good choice. On the stock suspension, my truck was about half an inch or an inch lower than a non-Nismo/Pro-4X model, and the 265/75s fit fine. Be advised though, I did have to remove my front mud flaps, since the tires were dragging on them at full steering lock. Other than that they're great. Even with the front swaybar removed (Which I don't recommend without heavier duty front springs), I never had any rubbing problems, so I wouldn't expect you to either. I guarantee your brand new suspension is stiffer and in better shape than my ten year old Nismo spec stuff was. So yeah, go for it! Should work pretty well.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

thestig99

Stumbled into here looking for inspiration for a Frontier I was trying to buy. Did not disappoint. Totally stole an idea or two for my Subaru :)

Awesome truck, awesome photos, super jealous.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Stumbled into here looking for inspiration for a Frontier I was trying to buy. Did not disappoint. Totally stole an idea or two for my Subaru :)

Awesome truck, awesome photos, super jealous.

Thanks for the compliments, and glad I could give some inspiration haha.

Nothing new to report really. Has had a couple oil changes, cleaned out the inside, and a few other little things not worth mentioning. Here's what I have left to do:

-Fridge slide (probably going with an Outback Roller Floor here)
-Custom seat covers (Something in Cordura, maybe with MOLLE panels)
-WeatherTech floor mats
-Onboard Nav (Samsung Tab 4 7.0"/ Backcountry Navigator/RAM mount)
-2 more skidplates (transmission and transfer case)
-LED canopy interior lighting
-Reverse lights (think flush mount LEDs)
-1/2" more front lift
-Traction mats (I'm thinking the Maxsa Escaper Buddy)
-ARB rear diff cover
-Possible small modification of my big Hella lights (switch Euro beam light to pencil beam)
-Odyssey battery
-Super-secret exterior idea thingy

That should be about it. From that point on, just more adventures and enjoyment. It's come an awful long way, feels like the home stretch now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles