"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
That's a great write up. Just having those bolt on axles instead of the splined ones is such a bonus. It would make a trailside broken axle removal pretty easy. Now I just have to keep an eye out for the axles.

Sent from the Mountains

Actually you would think so..but no.

Yes it save you from spilling diff fluid but that's it. You usually have to drop the skid to get to the bolts and after being dunked in lord knows what they can be a ***** to unbolt.

The popped in spline ones are much faster to change. I can do one in under 30mins easily. Doubt I could do one with bolt on cvs that fast.

I do love how much nicer it is to drop the front diff.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That's a great write up. Just having those bolt on axles instead of the splined ones is such a bonus. It would make a trailside broken axle removal pretty easy. Now I just have to keep an eye out for the axles.

Sent from the Mountains

Actually you would think so..but no.

Yes it save you from spilling diff fluid but that's it. You usually have to drop the skid to get to the bolts and after being dunked in lord knows what they can be a ***** to unbolt.

The popped in spline ones are much faster to change. I can do one in under 30mins easily. Doubt I could do one with bolt on cvs that fast.

I do love how much nicer it is to drop the front diff.

With the M205, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to drop the skid to do a CV swap. So that makes it a bit easier.

But yeah, getting to the bolts can be a bit of a pain. Mine weren't that difficult to access though, just need enough extension. You hold the ratchet out near the spindle. Don't think you can get to the bolts easily up close, but I could be wrong. I think the only real advantage of the bolt-on ones is not spilling the diff oil.

It might save you time and energy if you're ham-fisted and spill a lot of diff oil with the splined ones. Then you wouldn't have to drop the skid and add more oil. But that's about it. The amount of time it takes is about the same otherwise.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
A (Sort Of) Overland Honeymoon - Part 9

Remember how I mentioned the "Tactical Error"? Well, once we got into Banff, it was even worse. The traffic was nuts. There was no, and I mean zero, parking. We spent about 30 minutes trying to find somewhere to park and get out, but it was without luck. We ended up going straight through town and leaving as quickly as we could. The crowds that had descended on Banff were huge. Guess that teaches me to not go to Alberta's biggest tourist destination on Canada Day.

A little dismayed, we opted instead to go hang out in Canmore, just a few miles down the road from Banff and the town in which we would be staying for the next couple of days. We found our hotel, the Holiday Inn Canmore, and checked in without issue. It's a really nice hotel that I would recommend to anyone. Well-kept, modern, good staff, and quiet. Once we got the truck unloaded, our next move was to check out Canmore. We strapped on our Chacos, put on light clothes, and headed out into the warm afternoon to walk the streets.

Canmore is a very cool city. It's eclectic, beautiful, and has a totally different vibe from Banff. It feels a little bit more like the wild west than Banff does. A little bit dirtier, less organized, noisier, but somehow just as exciting. We spent a couple of hours checking out local shops, including a tea shop, a book store, and a store that sold everything from camera lenses to fake Seiko watches to weed paraphernalia. Interesting place! We marveled at the number of shops, outdoor enthusiasts enjoying the landscape, and tasty looking eateries. Before too long, we were starting to get hungry and decided to find somewhere to eat. Somehow, it had escaped our minds that it was still a huge national holiday! We tried several restaurants. Every single one downtown was packed. We consulted one of our town guides and selected one a little farther outside of town. When we arrived, we could barely find a spot to park. We walked in, asked for a table, and were told the current wait was over 90 minutes. The hostess said we could try at the bar, and spotting two seats, we proceeded to sit down. A woman to Beret's left looked at us in disgust and told us her husband was sitting there. Irritated, my normally level-headed and patient wife grabbed her things and stormed out of the restaurant. It was only after we had gotten back to the truck that she had pointed out there was no drink or menu in the "occupied" seat, while the woman who had shooed us had a glass of beer and a menu in front of her.

Defeated, we drove back to the hotel and decided the only thing to do was sit down for dinner at the hotel restaurant. This turned out to be a great decision.

We arrived at the restaurant and were amused to find a minimal staff serving one other table. We were seated at a table and were able to have a good conversation with our waiter, a native of Calgary who was very friendly and very interested in our travels. Hell of a guy. We had a plate of amazing poutine, a delicious BBQ chicken pizza, and several pints of delicious locally-brewed beer before calling it a night and going back to our room with exciting plans for the following day.

We awoke early and grabbed our backpacks for yet another hike in Canada's mountains. We loaded our stuff in the truck and headed north along Highway 1 to Lake Louise. At Lake Louise, we turned off and followed the road to Moraine Lake, mine and Beret's favorite place on Earth. Moraine Lake is a beautiful glacier-fed lake surrounded by massive mountains and vast wilderness. It's a place of unparalleled beauty. Unfortunately, it's also a hug draw for tourists. We arrived fairly early, around 9:00 AM, but it was already getting a bit crowded. We wasted no time in parking and getting our stuff before dodging the crowds and taking off on a small trail leading east to a much more secluded view.

Thanks to the early hour, we were totally alone as we made the short hike to Consolation Lakes. The trail mostly winds through thick forest, except near the beginning of the trail where it's rocky and exposed. It's a little uphill, but mostly flat and meandering. It's a super easy hike that is totally worth doing, because the view is absolutely outstanding!

The last little bit to get to the lake shore is composed of rock-hopping. Most of the boulders are about the size of Volkswagens, and they take a bit of maneuvering to get over. As you can see in this picture, we're standing on one of the boulders.

We lingered for a while, drinking in the great view and the solitude so rarely found in the more popular parts of the Canadian Rockies. It was a great respite that we as Montanans were familiar with. Amazing scenery and total solitude, save for a few marmots.

After we had enjoyed the landscape for a while, we made our way back to Moraine Lake, where the crowds had increased exponentially. We decided to do something we had hoped to do for a while, and got in line to rent a canoe and explore the lake by water. The wait was long, the people in line were obnoxious, and it was kind of expensive ($75CAD), but it was completely worth it.

The experience was once-in-a-lifetime. Dipping my hands in the freezing cold, aquamarine colored glacial water is something I won't soon forget.

Being able to spend some time here on the lake, without being crowded by tourists and overcome by the din of other people, we found a small bit of seclusion in this epic landscape that we really loved. Plus, we spent a good amount of the time talking about how we really needed to buy a canoe and use it back in Montana.

After our hour had expired, we took the canoe back to the dock where we unloaded and walked over to the Moraine Lake Lodge to check out the gift shop. We bought a few things and decided to eat here for lunch. We had some sandwiches from their little cafe and savored having lunch outside in such an awesome place. When we were done, it was time to spend some time in Banff, our favorite city in Canada.

By pure dumb luck, we got back into Banff, which was much less crowded this time, during yet another farmer's market. Our first time in Banff we had been able to participate in one as well, and we enjoyed doing the same here. We shopped the local produce, eventually buying some baguettes and tasty Okanagan Cherries.

There was also this booth, run by people who made T-shirts with vintage advertisements for the Rockies on them. I, of course, had to pick one up.

The guy running the booth was a very affable gentleman. I had a good conversation with him about travel and overlanding. It turns out he was a weekend warrior offroader, so we got along very well. After a while, we had to go check out the other local flavors.

There were even some local musicians performing with some interesting traditional instruments. It was very cool to watch.

Having enjoyed interacting with the locals and tasting everything we could, we headed out onto the streets of Banff to do a little trinket shopping and sightseeing. Banff is one of my favorite walkable towns. So much to see and so much to do. I always enjoy it, even if it's just walking the streets. It's a blast. We stopped in at the photography shop, a little spice emporium, and a place to get gourmet olive oils and vinegars.

After having some time on the town, we decided to have dinner at a place we had always wanted to try: The Eddie. The Eddie is a cozy little place that serves up some of the tastiest burgers, poutine, and shakes I've had the good fortune to be able to taste. We gorged on burgers and poutine, washing it all down with some local beer and finishing with chocolate shakes for dessert. It was delicious. The Eddie is a place you should not miss if you're headed to Banff. It's a bit cramped, a bit noisy, and sometimes there's a bit of a wait, but the food is to die for and the atmosphere is very friendly. We talked at length with the bar tenders and our fellow patrons, telling stories of travel, food, and life. It was a great experience.

Satisfied with the day, we made our way back to the hotel and collapsed into bed.

To be continued....

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
A (Sort Of) Overland Honeymoon - Part 10

We woke that morning with some final things on our to-do list. The first thing on that list was breakfast at our favorite spot for waffles in Banff, Skoki's. They make delicious waffles, some with bacon actually cooked into the waffle, you can select your own toppings, and they serve it with authentic, tasty maple syrup. We took our time and savored the meal, knowing we probably wouldn't be back to Banff in a while. We had some Tim Horton's coffee and ate our waffles happily before heading back to the truck and on our way to the next spot.

Our next step was the hike in Johnston Canyon. There's a part of it I hadn't seen on my last trip and I really wanted to this time around. Getting there was easy enough, but by the time we arrived there was a huge crowd already formed, and the parking lot was choked with cars. We found somewhere to park and braved the crowds on our way up the walkway in Johnston Canyon.

The crowds were a little outrageous. It was very packed, so we took every opportunity to follow trails that branched off and became a little more secluded.

That being said, some of the main attractions are still worth braving the people for.

The place I was looking for was farther up the trail, on the way to the upper falls. There's a small turnoff that takes you down to the river, and you have to do a bit of scrambling to get down there. There's a cave that has been carved from the rock, a fantastic rock formation, and a beautiful waterfall. What's fantastic about this place is the seclusion. Down in the cave, you're only a few dozen feet beneath the main trail, which is choked with people most of the time. Down here, we only saw two other people in the 40 minutes we spent down there. It's really nice to have that kind of place to yourself.

We stayed there for a bit and enjoyed it.

Satisfied that we had been to this special place, we opted to avoid the crowded upper falls and made our way back to the parking lot. On our way back towards Banff, I just had to stop for the view of these mountains. I love these. The rock formations are really special in that they're made up of many distinct layers of shale and limestone. They're like no mountains I've seen in the US. I took some photos before we drove back to town.

The mountains on the other side of the valley aren't bad either.

Wanting to kill a little time, we opted to go somewhere we hadn't seen yet. We drove out to the historical site at Cave and Basin, which was Canada's first national park and the birthplace of Parks Canada. Walking through there gives you a great history of Parks Canada and the efforts of the department to maintain the beauty of their national parks. It's a very interesting place to visit, full of history. I recommend it on a rainy day in Banff if you'd prefer not to brave the weather too much on the hiking trails.

After Cave and Basin, we stopped by Cascade Gardens, where the Parks Canada Administration Office sits. It's a beautiful old building flanked on one side by the sights of Banff and the local mountains, and on the other side by beautiful beds of flowers. It's a very cool place to visit.

We spent a little time walking around the flowers and water features. It's a very serene place. After getting our fill, we decided to continue the relaxation and go out to one of our favorite spots to relax, Banff's fantastic Upper Hot Springs. It's an old establishment, and can be crowded, but when it's cool and rainy outside, I can't think of a better place to be in the Canadian Rockies. It's very relaxing, and offers a great view of the surrounding mountains. Soaking in the warm pools is so calming. There's something about the natural spring water and the vast mountain environment that is very special. It's like nowhere else I've been.

We stayed there, soaking in the pool for an hour or so, talking about the best parts of the trip and our hopes for the future. We talked about where we were going next, and our dreams for future destinations. It's such a great thing that my new wife is so excited about traveling, as I am. We share a passion for exploring the world that bonds us tightly and encourages us to get out and go. It's a wonderful thing, this shared wanderlust. We also talked about where we'd go the next time we made our way to the Rockies. It was our last day, but we were already planning our return. These mountains call to us in ways that few places ever do. We can't ever wait to go back.

After getting dressed and heading down from the hot springs, it was time for us to eat at the Elk and Oarsmen, our favorite restaurant in Banff. We arrived, for the third time in a row, on the day where all their elk menu items were only $10. We each ordered the elk burger, which is covered with pepper jack cheese and a sweet mango chutney. It's quite possibly my favorite ever burger. We washed it down with some local beer and watched the town of Banff go by from the windows above Banff Avenue.

As we gazed out the window, the light was changing. The clouds were breaking up, showering Rundle Mountain with dancing dappled sunlight. Wanting to see this unobstructed and maybe get some photos, we quickly paid our bill and got back to the truck. We left the parking garage and made our way to the Vermilion Lakes scenic drive. It wasn't very long before we drove out of the trees and found a place to turn off. With the rain stopping and the clouds clearing, we parked the truck and hurried down to the shore. I set up my camera and captured what is now in my top 10 most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Rundle Mountain was spectacularly lit, with light peeking through the clouds and dancing all over the northwest face. It was a sight I'll never forget, and one that we were very lucky to see, arriving just in time.

We watched the rainbow dissipate before driving a little farther down the road to watch the most spectacular sunset I have ever seen. What a fitting and spectacular way for the Rocky Mountains of Alberta to wave goodbye.

With that amazing sight filling our minds and the world going dark, we packed up our stuff and made our way back to our hotel in Canmore. The next morning we would drive out and cross the border back into the United States, already longing to return from this epic journey.

We'll be back, Canada. We'll be back and ready for more.

The End

MNCarl

The Moose
A rainbow !!!
What a great way to bookend a fabulous trip !!
As always awesome pics and story telling.
-Carl

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
As a Canuck, I can tell you that our versions of Independence day, is in fact Victoria day, July 1st. The First Monday in August in Alberta is in fact Heritage Day, and generally crazy busy in the park because the weather is generally stellar.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
As a Canuck, I can tell you that our versions of Independence day, is in fact Victoria day, July 1st. The First Monday in August in Alberta is in fact Heritage Day, and generally crazy busy in the park because the weather is generally stellar.

Ahhh, good to know! Thanks for correcting me.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Starting to think about what mods I have left to do. The list is awfully short!

- New CB radio
* Thinking of going with the Cobra 75 all in the handset version to save a little space and make room for something else
- Rear diff cover
* ARB in red, please
- Dual band HAM radio
* Getting my license in March
* Considering the Yaesu FT-7800R, but haven't really made a 100% decision
* Mounting antenna near snorkel on driver's side
- LED reverse lights
* Flush mount for rear bumper
- Transmission skid
* Shrockworks
- Upgrade front light wiring
* Used too small a wire gauge, should be able to improve output
- LED strip lights under canopy
- HD brakes
* Thinking of using the complete Power Stop kit with new calipers, rotors, and pads

With a little over 171k on the clock, I'm planning to do some preventative maintenance fairly soon:

- Replace both front catalytic converters
- Replace inner tie rod ends
- Replace outer tie rod ends
- Replace lower ball joints
- Drain and replace transfer case oil
- Drain and replace transmission fluid
- Drain and replace brake fluid
- Drain and replace coolant
- Adjust parking brake
- Replace cabin air filter

That's about it. Hoping to complete maintenance list before the truck reaches 185k.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Why do a CB if your going HAM?

Even if all of my friends that I regularly wheel with (unlikely) switch to HAM, CB is still more commonly used on most 4x4 rigs. If I meet up with new people or a group I'm not normally with, odds are they'll have CB, and I still want to communicate with them. Having both forms of radio communication gives me more versatility and more options. Plus, the CB I'm switching to is no larger than a standard CB microphone, so the space it takes up is minimal. Then I can install a HAM in the location currently housing the CB. The HAM antenna isn't much bigger than the factory AM/FM antenna, so mounting that will be easier too.

Plus, all the cool kids have HAM radios. :D

MNCarl

The Moose
Comm....
Here is what my plan is:
Cheap hand held HAM radio , we all used these on a trail ride this fall (someone loaned me there extra with 12V cig adapter & larger duck antenna) and they worked great , we even contacted the other trail ride group in the woods a mile or two away.
Baofeng Black UV-5R V2+ (This is the new version)
https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warr...e=UTF8&qid=1484155897&sr=1-5&keywords=baofeng
or this package deal
Baofeng GT-3TP Mark II
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191452088725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

CB Radio...Tom ... I am guessing we are looking at the same one:
Cobra 75 WX ST
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio

I would assume a cheap hand held HAM will be fine for me ... but I have no idea (HAM newby) does a permanently mounted mobile ham radio with externally mounted antenna have that much more range? Or maybe it is the Ham watt rating ? Hand held 1w 2w 4w 7w / permanent mounted mobile 10w 25w
Or maybe its meters?
Edit....never mind I am doing some reading:
http://www.k0bg.com/

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Comm....
Here is what my plan is:
Cheap hand held HAM radio , we all used these on a trail ride this fall (someone loaned me there extra with 12V cig adapter & larger duck antenna) and they worked great , we even contacted the other trail ride group in the woods a mile or two away.
Baofeng Black UV-5R V2+ (This is the new version)
https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Warr...e=UTF8&qid=1484155897&sr=1-5&keywords=baofeng
or this package deal
Baofeng GT-3TP Mark II
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191452088725?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

CB Radio...Tom ... I am guessing we are looking at the same one:
Cobra 75 WX ST
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio

I would assume a cheap hand held HAM will be fine for me ... but I have no idea (HAM newby) does a permanently mounted mobile ham radio with externally mounted antenna have that much more range? Or maybe it is the Ham watt rating ? Hand held 1w 2w 4w 7w / permanent mounted mobile 10w 25w
Or maybe its meters?
Edit....never mind I am doing some reading:
http://www.k0bg.com/

Handhelds are great.

Also i hope you have a license when operating a HAM.

The difference with a mobile radio vs a handheld isn't necessarily power, its the antenna.

Power is overrated in radio. Most repeaters run at 10-15w with ranges of 40-50 miles. But have a huge well tuned and grounded antenna.

Handhelds can't run amazing antennas. But can still be quite effective. My handhelds hit local repeaters no problem 20+miles away at 5w.

The 50w of a mobile radio will help a bit for when you're in canyons and such but ultimately you can mount the antenna to get a good ground plain and tune it. The roof is the best spot for this. This will help get the best range. Then there are tons of other things to fight the interference given off by a truck on your other devices that help too.

having both is great. Because a lot of dual band mobile radios can crossband repeat. So you can set your handheld to TX on 440.350. The mobile in the truck can then be setup to crossband with 440.350 and lets say 146.350. The rest of the group lets say tune to 146.350 as well on their 2m radios. Now you can get out of the truck with your handheld and you'll hear everything they say and can still talk to the group. Handy for spotting too. And because they are Hams, you can really walk a LONG ways from the truck and stay in touch...can't think of many situations that would merit that but you get the idea.

Mobiles also have lots of awesome features but there are plenty of bad *** handhelds. Hell my hand held is pretty much the exact radio as my mobile. An Icom 51a.

Ham is cool though. One of the best reasons to use HAM is APRS too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior