"Lola" - WreckDiver1321's 2005 Frontier CC/SB Nismo Build and Adventure Thread

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice! KI7GNF over here

Cool! Since I have my General I may try to shorten it.

Congrats! And hurry up and get your radio. Then we can chat..well..sorta. Im in sheridan now but still!

Thanks man!

I have a BaoFeng UV-5R+ at the moment. My dad had it sitting around and wasn't using it so that saved me $30 haha. Kind of surprised at the capability of the thing, I was just having a conversation on the repeater on Red Lodge Mountain, about 55 miles away. I have a better antenna and big battery on the way for it, but I'll be getting my mobile unit ASAP.

seekerbeta

Observer
I have a Basic Icom 2300H in Ourea and its more than capable for the 2m stuff, thinking about upgrading to an ICOM 2730A to get the 70CM stuff. I should load your guys repeaters in my truck radio to see if I can hit them from up here at the border.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Cool! Since I have my General I may try to shorten it.

Thanks man!

I have a BaoFeng UV-5R+ at the moment. My dad had it sitting around and wasn't using it so that saved me $30 haha. Kind of surprised at the capability of the thing, I was just having a conversation on the repeater on Red Lodge Mountain, about 55 miles away. I have a better antenna and big battery on the way for it, but I'll be getting my mobile unit ASAP.

Well the Red lodge repeater is on top of a mountain so im sure the line of sight is great. You can hit the Medicine Mountain one from there pretty much too. HAM radios are cool! Always nice to have a handheld too in the truck. you can crossband repeat off your mobile rig...if yours can do that...and walk around with the handheld and still hear everyone. Or in a big group can setup two rigs to crossband and you can cover eachother for a LONG ways that way.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've had my Baofeng for about 5yrs, zero complaints for what I paid for it and at that time it was either that or $200+ stuff. I can even tune in the NOAA and even local FM stations lol. I know someone who has a second one dedicated to APRS, pretty cool. Personally since I'm not really into the HAM stuff, it's just a means of comms for me when out offroading - the UV-5R does everything I need to do.

Dmski

Adventurer
I have the Baofeng and use it while skiing, offroading and can listen in to NOAA and even use it as a police scanner. Its probably the best radio for 30 bucks and its held up amazingly well so far. Anyone is the Seattle area know of popular repeaters? I have a few from along highway 2 and I90 but its usually silent.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well the Red lodge repeater is on top of a mountain so im sure the line of sight is great. You can hit the Medicine Mountain one from there pretty much too. HAM radios are cool! Always nice to have a handheld too in the truck. you can crossband repeat off your mobile rig...if yours can do that...and walk around with the handheld and still hear everyone. Or in a big group can setup two rigs to crossband and you can cover eachother for a LONG ways that way.

I have to say after so many years using only CBs and FRS/GMRS radios, HAM radio is amazing. I spent part of the morning chatting with a VE I met when she helped teach my intro ham class. She was driving between Columbus and Billings, talking on the Red Lodge repeater. Fun stuff that. Having a handheld in the truck and the backpack at all times is something I'm planning on. Having a handheld in the backpack could be a godsend during a hiking emergency, plus a bit of fun to check into the regular Red Lodge repeater from a couple mountain tops we plan to visit.

I have a Basic Icom 2300H in Ourea and its more than capable for the 2m stuff, thinking about upgrading to an ICOM 2730A to get the 70CM stuff. I should load your guys repeaters in my truck radio to see if I can hit them from up here at the border.

The 2730 seems like a solid choice in a radio. Where are you at? We have a few repeaters close to the border.

I've had my Baofeng for about 5yrs, zero complaints for what I paid for it and at that time it was either that or $200+ stuff. I can even tune in the NOAA and even local FM stations lol. I know someone who has a second one dedicated to APRS, pretty cool. Personally since I'm not really into the HAM stuff, it's just a means of comms for me when out offroading - the UV-5R does everything I need to do.

I'll admit, I'm really impressed with this little radio, especially given how inexpensive it is. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I can't wait to try it out at high elevations during a hike. It will be a permanent fixture in my hiking backpack, that's for sure.

I'm also very excited to get a mobile rig and APRS rig set up. Should be pretty fun little toys.

I have the Baofeng and use it while skiing, offroading and can listen in to NOAA and even use it as a police scanner. Its probably the best radio for 30 bucks and its held up amazingly well so far. Anyone is the Seattle area know of popular repeaters? I have a few from along highway 2 and I90 but its usually silent.

Yeah I'm incredibly impressed with it. I'm routinely talking on the repeater 55 miles away and I experimented with long-range simplex a bit today. Seems this might be another hobby for me. As if I really needed another one!

Repeaters near Seattle?

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/location_search.php?state_id=53&type=city&loc=Seattle

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein

well..make em not silent!

Call up on them. Just say your CS and say "monitoring" or if you're driving "mobile"

Maybe someone will here ya and strike up a conv!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
well..make em not silent!

Call up on them. Just say your CS and say "monitoring" or if you're driving "mobile"

Maybe someone will here ya and strike up a conv!

That's generally what I do! Soon as I get home I call out "KI7MEV monitoring" and about 50% of the time I get a call back. If not, I'll monitor the repeater until someone pops in and strike up a conversation. That being said, I know which repeater near me is the most popular. Maybe get in contact with a local radio club and find out which ones get the most traffic?

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
That's generally what I do! Soon as I get home I call out "KI7MEV monitoring" and about 50% of the time I get a call back. If not, I'll monitor the repeater until someone pops in and strike up a conversation. That being said, I know which repeater near me is the most popular. Maybe get in contact with a local radio club and find out which ones get the most traffic?

That's always helpful. Plus if you wanna learn a lot more the local gurus are always good to know.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Not much new to report on the truck front. I moved recently to a new apartment, so that's been taking up the most of my time. The only big downside to that is that I now have a tiny garage. I went from a garage that could fit 3 cars to one that just fits my truck with my tools in it. But the complex is nice. New construction, pool, hot tub, gym, cable and internet, etc. The move was an excellent choice.

I'll post pics of the new digs soon. Hoping to knock out the TREs as preventative maintenance this week. Maybe it will happen...

bijanjames

Adventurer
Not much new to report on the truck front. I moved recently to a new apartment, so that's been taking up the most of my time. The only big downside to that is that I now have a tiny garage. I went from a garage that could fit 3 cars to one that just fits my truck with my tools in it. But the complex is nice. New construction, pool, hot tub, gym, cable and internet, etc. The move was an excellent choice.

I'll post pics of the new digs soon. Hoping to knock out the TREs as preventative maintenance this week. Maybe it will happen...

Congratulations on your new place. We move in about 7 weeks!! Really looking forward to living in Montana and our trip!!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Here's a quick look at my new toy (and a sneak peak at my new kitchen!). I've been using my new ham radio license a good amount lately, thanks to the awesome little BaoFeng UV-5R+. It's a tried and true little radio that everyone is familiar with. Dual band, tough, compact, and a huge aftermarket to upgrade it with. I got this from my dad for free, as he updated to an Icom handheld.

0eey0sth.jpg

I'm very impressed with the capability of this little radio. With the factory antenna I'm hitting repeaters 55+ miles away, and I've had consistent reports of loud and clear. My plan for this radio not only involves using it for hobby radio around town, but also as a rig to take hiking in my backpack. The utility of a long range radio while hiking in the mountains is undeniable, and the small size and light weight of this unit makes it very conducive to carrying in my backpack. So with that in mind, I added a couple of little upgrades to improve the performance and general usability.

LjH5BvVh.jpg

The first I ordered was the ExpertPower 3800mAh extended battery, which has over twice the life of the factory battery. Even with the extended battery, the radio is still a totally manageable size, even compact. The next upgrade was a better antenna. The factory one does a decent job, but I wanted a little extra reception and a little more reach. I picked up the much-lauded Nagoya NA-771, which is a 15.6 inch whip. Yep, it makes the radio a bit more cumbersome, but it's not much of a problem. Overall, the little upgrades have helped to improve an already great little radio and made it even better. Can't wait to try hitting my favorite repeater while hiking the high plateaus in the mountains south of me!

774T5Mlh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior