Locking shifters together...anti theft precaution

v_man

Explorer
I thought I'd do a little write up of a pretty simple anti theft precaution I did on my 'Runner . I say "precaution" because like anything , it's best to have redundant measures of safety , especially vehicle theft protection ...

I noticed that my shifters were less than an inch apart when I am in reverse and my 2.28 low range case was engaged . I cut a link of 5/16 chain and welded it on to my 2.28 case shifter ....

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

With the link welded on and grinded pretty , it was time for some paint ...

IMG_3510.jpg

Now the only thing left to do was find the right size lock ... this beefy lock was $20 bucks at the hardware store , it can double as a boat anchor if need be ...

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

...it's locked in reverse with the 2.28 case engaged . You would likely break either one of the shifters out of its transmission seat before actually getting into a forward gear , it's about 2 inches of travel to neutral , and 4 inches to first , and the whole set up only moves about 1/2" when locked ... :sombrero:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I like it. I usually just disconnect the fuel pump in my bronco. Its amazing how many people don't even realize you can do that easily on older rigs like mine.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Your vehicle has a manual transmission so I don't know why you need the shift lock. I'm pretty sure you could leave the keys in the ignition and nobody would touch it. :D

A clutch pedal is the best anti-theft protection you can find.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Has anyone mentioned how easy it is to defeat a masterlock? :D The clutch ought to prevent just about any theft, save the really motivated kind.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Pretty hard to defeat a flatbed.

This is more is a visual deterrent.

On my Toyota I had a switch to defeat the clutch switch.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I'm sorry, but everybody always brings up a flatbed. Does anybody know what percent of vehicles are stolen that way? You can't protect against a helicopter picking it up, either. Maybe this isn't the end all answer to theft, but it sure will help. You can only do so much, cut off switches, locking shifters, the club, etc., but if you do a couple of them, MOST scum will move on. Good Job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior