Lockers or limited slip? For my 06 ford expedition

Edadmartin

Hi, first post. A question to all, but mostly to the ford guys. I'm thinking about lockers or limited slip for my expedition. I use my truck for every day,but I camp and fish ,and pull my casita trailer, I'm not doing heavy duty crawling with this truck. I do hit mud and snow and ice and rock getting to our fav dry camp hunt-spots here in Colorado. Which version of anti slip,or locker diffs should I consider installing and why? There are a few versions and I don't know the difference. Also thinking about 4-11 gears and a better load carring rear spring. .i don't have air bag suspension. ??? Thanks.

B

BPD53

Simple answer is ARB air locker.

I use my truck the same way you do regarding off road and towing (lots of guys on here do too).The air locker is the way to go when it comes to a daily driver/off road/tow rig. The best part of a selectable locker is the ability to lock it when you want it and leave it open when you don't.

An ARB locker will give you the best quality in my opinion. I have an ARB front and OX rear, but prefer the ARB.

I removed my G80 rear locker, which acts kinda like a limited slip by engaging when it senses wheel spin speed difference between the tires. I hated the G80 because it would lock up well, but when IT wanted too. There are times when lockers are not wanted. I can assure you that you will not regret installing an ARB locker.

I have always liked 4.10 gear sets, so I am bias towards them as well. 4.10 gives me the best of both worlds.

This decision will be easy for you. Sorry, I forgot to mention I drive a Chevrolet.

granitex1

Adventurer
a selectable locker will trump a lsd every time. gives you the open diff for the day to day stuff, and the ability to lock it when you need it. The lockers let you go slow with traction, instead of fast with friction. I personally have ARB front and rear, and love it. While not in a ford it really does not matter, traction is not brand specific.

dumprat

Adventurer
Detroit tru track or a limited slip.

Arb lockers are not fool proof and can do all sorts of bad things. Like pump the diff oil out if or when the seals fail. They also don't like freezing temps. I have fixed a bunch of them.

B

BPD53

Arb lockers are not fool proof and can do all sorts of bad things. Like pump the diff oil out if or when the seals fail. They also don't like freezing temps. I have fixed a bunch of them.

I guess I have a lot to learn. I was unaware that the ARB could cause those issues. Which seals are you referring to regarding pumping diff fluid out?

All advice is welcome so I become more knowledgable. This may also help the OP with his decision.

dumprat

Adventurer
They run a square orange soft nitrile o ring to seal, which can freeze to the seal plate in cold weather.

And the hardness tester at work discounts the fact they are chrom moly steel.

Last edited:

dumprat

Adventurer
I have also fixed a few other diffs over the years. The true trac being one of the toughest, after a failure(broken axle and driven home) was both weld able and works as original.

I have had very good luck with Chrysler factory e lockers and detroits, both the old ones and the new soft locker. But I would not recommend either for daily driving, towing or expo work.

Trac-loks, true track, and other limited slip diffs are both much easier on parts and far easier to drive long distances. If you are getting stuck on an expo type trip you should be building road or winching.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I would have to say a Tru Track. Put one in the back to really help out. It is also the easiest on your axels and great for the day to day driving.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Did your truck come with Traction control? My basic research indicates that it was an option for the 2nd gen 06 trucks.

If you do have it, then you are golden. It is the perfect compromise that you are looking for. The only issue is learning how to drive the truck with traction control, but that is easy to learn.

Otherwise, the question is, how often do you lift a tire? If never, then a limited slip will be fine. But if you often experience terrain were a tire lifts off the ground, then a locker is what you need.

Tazman

Adventurer
I like E Lockers. No compressor needed and with a hit of the switch I'm locked. Electric so no compressor needed. I can not believe the difference when it hit the switch. When no turned on I have limited slip. I forgot to mention, this is on my CJ7. I have the crappy factory stuff on my GMC. When it breaks I will go E Locker with out a doubt.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
For the occasional use like you seem to indicate, the cost of an ARB will be steep with little benefit if you aren't pushing the limits a lot.

I have Truetracs front and rear in my Explorer. I take it offroad A LOT. I have found very rarely where a locker would be better than the TrueTrac- SUPER deep snow or when one tire is nearly unloaded (or completely in the air for vehicles that don't flex like mine) while stopped is really it. But usually some left foot braking will fool the diff and send power to both wheels. Every other time I just get through things. The first time. Without worrying about compressors (wiring, air lines, etc). Without having to "try it again". Without second guessing if ARB's claim of "you can engage while in motion" is true or not.

I've considered installing one in my Expedition, but it has the factory LSD already and it doesn't go offroad enough to justify it.

My only issue is remembering to buy regular Dino oil instead of synthetic when doing fluid changes- synthetic is too slippery for the gears to work properly.

If you're in the Denver area, I know a guy who installs gears for a living and is no stranger to Fords. Let me know. He's also installed a fair share of TrueTracs.

Arclight

SAR guy

I have a Detroit/Eaton Truetrac on my T100. I've had other lockers in previous vehicles. What I like about the TT is that it requires no special operating steps. This is nice when my wife is driving - Snow, ice, or dirt require no thinking. It does well on all of these, and there's less risk of breaking a u-joint or other mishaps than in a fully-locked vehicle. It doesn't provide the same 100% engagement that an ARB does, but it is simpler and cheaper.

Arclight

KSL22

Adventurer
For what it is worth. The factory limited slip in the back of my 08 ram 2500 might as well be open in snow / ice as it goes peg leg on slippery climbs. It works fine on dirt / rock and seems to perform in mud, but I have not had any muddy up hills to test it.

I had a ARB in the front of my full size bronco and loved it. The only issue I had was the O-ring on the compressor wore out which caused it not to build pressure / fail open.

4x4junkie

Explorer

The vast majority of seal failures on ARBs result from careless installation. I've had 4 ARBs myself (still have 3), and a buddy has them in his rig as well. Air leaks (inside the diff anyway) are something that either one of us have yet to experience. So it certainly would be prudent to find an experience installer if you (like most people) don't install them yourself.

Issues in freezing temps are because condensation builds up in the compressor tank and subsequently gets into the air line (a small auxiliary tank with a drain cock on it should alleviate any issues there).

IMO, if you can afford it, selectable lockers are definitely the way to go. ARB's system is very reliable when it is correctly installed.
That said, if you aren't pushing your rig to the point of having wheels lifting up off the ground, a good limited slip such as the TrueTrac is not likely to disappoint.

dumprat

Adventurer
I fixed them on other guys rigs. I wouldn't own an ARB.

I much prefer the Electric lockers. And a Detroit in the back. All on a crawling rig. Lockers in my opinion are not for an expo rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles