Load range E on a tacoma?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new set of 265/75R16's. I found a good price on a set of BFG KO2's, but it looks like the only load rating on Tirerack.com in that size is a load rating E. A 10 ply tire seems like serious overkill for such a small truck. Has anyone run these tires? Would running them at low PSI help enough for them to not be spine shattering as a DD and on rough roads?

bkg

Explorer
Bought mine with E... Hated them. Too much tire for this size truck. Wanted C's but ended up with General Grabber AT's in load range D. Very happy with them thus far.

I have 235/85 r16's load range E on my truck. I like them but I will be near maximum payload when fully loaded. I also like the fact that the extra ply's help make them a little more puncture resistant. The downside is that the weight makes them not very fuel efficient.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
You'll be fine on them. Just take the PSI down to low 30's. MPG won't be affected (anything of significance, anyway) compared to other LT tires in this size.

justrom

Adventurer
I have 235/85 r16's load range E on my truck. I also like the fact that the extra ply's help make them a little more puncture resistant. The downside is that the weight makes them not very fuel efficient.

+1 I have the same size Duratracs on a daily driver '13 DC-LB. Probably didn't need the E range as I only have a RTT and camping gear in the back, but I thought that wanted more ply's and tougher tires. They're heavy - fuel mileage is down by about 3 mpg and they took a lot of weight to balance. You can feel it with stock gearing going up hills even empty. I run mine fairly full trying to salvage a little bit of gas mileage. They're on for the moment and not coming off, but I probably wouldn't do it again...

MCObray

Explorer
I have Load Range E's on my 1st Gen Tacoma (LT235/85/16 BFG KO2s). I lost about 1 MPG from my previous P rated tire, but gained so much more confidence in puncture resistance with a thicker sidewall. Ride... well it's a truck and the difference has been minimal. It's a fair trade off, but I would give a serious look to a LT265/75/16 Load Range C BFG if they ever made 'em.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
Hrm that's concerning to hear. The only tires I can find in my size (265/75R16) that are a decent load range but still aggressive tread are General Grabber MTs or X3's, both of which are overkill for my truck. I was really looking forward to KO2's but now Im concerned...

vicali

Adventurer
Putting 265/70 17 E Ko2 on my Tacoma this spring. Doing it because towing the trailer in the summer is a little squirrelly with P tires on now.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Bought mine with E... Hated them. Too much tire for this size truck. Wanted C's but ended up with General Grabber AT's in load range D. Very happy with them thus far.

I have had the E's on both an FJ cruiser, and a 350 Super Duty. Didn't mind them on the FJ. I have the D rated General Grabbers on my T100 and love them.

lugueto

Adventurer
I would go load range D.

It will handle the loads a Tacoma will take, will be lighter (better for fuel and wear) and will be more comfortable.

mtnjp

Observer
fullsizeoutput_1aa.jpg
I run E rated 265/17/16 KO's and they have been great. I run the PSI at 26 for daily driving. I live in the mountains and commute up and down the hill with a combined mpg of 16.5. A little heavier than normal with a bed rack and plate bumper. I will be getting new tires soon and getting the same thing.

godzillus

I love the look and durability of my Load E Toyo Open Country 285/55/16's on my 1997 Extended cab , but man they are harsh on the road. They are awesome on the rocky Arizona trails though. I'm going with KM2's or some other all-terrains next.

tacollie

Glamper
Not all load range E tires are created equal. I have run GY Duratracs, Hankook ATM, and Toyo CT in load range E. The Duratracs and ATMs are fine on lighter vehicle. The Toyos ride rough.

On a side note the Duratracs rode and handled better than the Cooper ST in load range D. The Duratracs were heavier.

jpachard

Adventurer
I recently got a set of Cooper ST Maxx in 255/75-17's Laod Range C. Just looked and they don't offer a comparable size in 16" unfortunately.... That being said, the ST Maxx in this size is very nice. I have them on a 4runner.

whiskeytacos

Observer
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new set of 265/75R16's. I found a good price on a set of BFG KO2's, but it looks like the only load rating on Tirerack.com in that size is a load rating E. A 10 ply tire seems like serious overkill for such a small truck. Has anyone run these tires? Would running them at low PSI help enough for them to not be spine shattering as a DD and on rough roads?
Do you carry a lot of heavy loads? I ran a set of Copper Discoverer ATP in that size with a standard load rating and really ate them up. A 10k mile Overland trip nearly balded them and I replaced them at just under 30k miles. My Discoverer AT/3 tires in 285/75r16 look excellent with 20k miles on them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles