Load range "D" tires for Super Duty?

BCHauler

Adventurer
Looking for some feedback. I need to purchase a non-winter set of tires for my F250. I already have 235/85/16s on the stock 16x7 rims. I'm toying with 315/75/16 or 285/75/16. There is a retailer nearby that is advertising an excellent price on Procomp Xtreme ATs in the 285. They are load range D and are rated at 3305 lbs.

I haul occasion loads of firewood and use an older 8' slide-in camper. I'm not sure how much the camper weighs. I used the camper many times this past winter with the winter tires (load 'E' and 3000 lb rating) and they seemed just fine.

Any thoughts? Do I move on and make sure I get an E tire or will the D be okay? The price is worthwhile if they will work.

Also wondering if the D tires are better if airing down the tires.

fullpoints

You will be fine- the load rating is the most important factor and that 3,300lbs a tire is giving you 600lbs more load capacity than the Es you had before. The Es will have less sidewall flex and sway for more stability than Ds that some prefer but load capacity is the most important factor.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm in the same boat, although I don't need one to go anywhere other than the pub in snug cove! I think if you were ok with the 3000lb E tires, the 3300 Ds will work. As mentioned, the sidewalls will likely be softer, so you may get a bit more sway. Any idea on the weight of your camper?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If you like BFG ATs, there is a set of "almost new" 315/75-16s on gorgeous factory super duty alloys on Seattle Craig's list for $900. They are in Everett, so only about 45 mins south of the line.

I am in Bellingham on Monday, but the wife will be along, and I will be busy importing my new F350, otherwise, I'd go get them for you.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Thanks. I appreciate the offer. The deal was being offered by a shop on craigslist but seems to be gone now :( 285's for $189 + taxes free mount and balancing. Oh well. Not really ready to buy yet anyway.

Snug Cove Pub. With three young kids I'm not likely to get in there for a while.

Good luck with the truck buy next week. Looking forward to the pics.

jronwood

Adventurer
Most folks want a more aggressive tire or more tread options, but there are some "G" series Goodyears and also Michelin's that are full steel cased (like the 19.5" tires, and tractor trailer tires)) These offer a very tough and flex free sidewall. I would think if you are single wheeled and loading heavy, they would be the way to go IF you can deal with the limited tread options. I run these Goodyears on nearly all my 16" trailer tires. NO sway.

http://www.nextag.com/Goodyear--2700004/235-85-16-g-rated/brand-html

Jronwood

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There are a lot of people pushing the 19.5s these days. I respect the opinions, and the superior load capacity of the 19.5s, but they really are not practical for the average guy who loads up a camper for a few long weekends and maybe a two week vacation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94