Load E Tires

Pilotamis

Observer
I’ve been using General Grabber A/T 2’s on my F-150 and YJ and have loved them. Now I’m moving up to a F-250, pushing the max payload and heading to Argentina and back. A bit of a different rig and trip. For those of you currently doing a trip similar to this, what would you recommend? We plan to run over a bit of everything, road debris, snow, sand, and some mud as we venture off the main roads and into the jungles and up the mountains.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I’ve been using General Grabber A/T 2’s on my F-150 and YJ and have loved them. Now I’m moving up to a F-250, pushing the max payload and heading to Argentina and back. A bit of a different rig and trip. For those of you currently doing a trip similar to this, what would you recommend? We plan to run over a bit of everything, road debris, snow, sand, and some mud as we venture off the main roads and into the jungles and up the mountains.
Going where you're going a Toyo MT would be an excellent choice. A neighbor drove his Ram towing a trailer to Honduras and back with them. Not even a flat.

hemifoot

Observer
if you're pushing max payload,like me,i'd go with an f rated nitto ridge grappler ,not the best in snow but it is quite good in all other environments and surprisingly quiet on the highway.mine are on 20" rims because of the camper,a little stiffer but way less wallow than a 17 or 18".i do minimum 10k a year between my nittos and my grabbers.my at2's are my winter set.i can't compare the 2 because my generals are flotations and the nitto's are metrics.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Max Payload on a 250 is well within any Load Range E tire. Toyo MTs are tough as hell but heavy. People love the RTs and they or the Ridge Grappler will be my next tire. Understand that moving up in load capacity gives you the option to lower tire pressure for the load. Look at the load charts for the tires rated at just over 3500 at 80psi compared to the tires rated at almost 4000 at 65 to see the difference. It can be a 10 or 15 psi difference for the same capacity which significantly increases the ride quality. Getting to the Load Range 128 at 65 psi may require a 36 or 37" tire on an 18" rim however.

doug720

Expedition Leader
There are many good tires brands, and most of those are well made. The world is becoming more paved everyday, and I would expect you will encounter more pavement than dirt. A good AT would be my suggestion.

Which tire is best? I would see what brands, models and sizes of tires are available along your route, and choose one that is good, well known and supported.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I've had BFG A/T's on everything (except sportcars) for the past 20 years and had excellent experience. Their "E" rated A/T's have given me excellent highway, off-road, load carrying and long distance use within their design specs. Now, with that being said I'm currently dealing with some sidewall cracking on a 18 month old set of AT's. Some of my older sets are 4 and 10 years old and aren't cracking.....Once I talk with my tire dealer I'll update this post. Good luck!

Grassland

An aggressive Load E AT. Not a BFG KO2 though. I am on second set, but a different size. Many compatriots have had similar issue, these tires do not like heavy weight. AT treads are jack of all trades. you will probably see a lot of hwy miles (im guessing, Ive never looked for your destination) Load E gives you the sidewall/load rating at a good price and availability.
My experience with LT235/80R17 in KO2 was not stellar, id say OK. Tread chunking. Quicker wear. F150 with 1500 lbs in it daily, pulling 2000 lb trailer. Neighbor has Ram 2500 cummins, tows a heavier trailer, and lots of tools. Same issue, forget his size but a 35x20 size range.

maybe something like a cooper ST MAXX or the hybrid Toyo AT/MT?

sg1

Adventurer
I just finished a trip to Ushuaia. Took me a few years. I would suggest AT s with the highest load rating you can find. I had Goodrich and was not satisfied. They wear very quickly. Use a common size you can find in Latin America. You won't make it down and back on one set.

Explorerinil

Observer
Going where you're going a Toyo MT would be an excellent choice. A neighbor drove his Ram towing a trailer to Honduras and back with them. Not even a flat.
Everything I read, everyone I talk to says the Toyo MT is one very durable tire, reading the specs of the 37x13.50r17, the load capacity if 4300... that’s very impressive.

justbecause

perpetually lost
Why are you moving away from general? I have been running grabbers for the last 120+ thousand miles and completely love them. I hope the new style is as good as the ATII. I hope they start to offer the 255/85r16. I am ready to go up a size but dont want to go wider.

Pilotamis

Observer
Why are you moving away from general? I have been running grabbers for the last 120+ thousand miles and completely love them. I hope the new style is as good as the ATII. I hope they start to offer the 255/85r16. I am ready to go up a size but dont want to go wider.

No particular reason. I'm just not sure how well they'll do with a truck this big, carrying 2700 lbs is all.

bushnut

Adventurer
I’ve been very pleased with my Falken AT3w. Great in snow. Smooth on the highway, fantastic on gravel. I hate mud so no opinion there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier