LMTV 1078 Camper build concept

Coachgeo

Explorer
You can use the ASV as an example. Threaded section goes over rim studs and you bolt ring to sections. ASV uses same wheel ends and rim as FMTV series.
View attachment 494131
Much thank you for this info. This is much like what I was thinking.... though didn't think about leaving the side open for debris to exit. Maybe only a side wall where the hose is? or holes in side wall... hmm.....

Third

I'm not a HAM guy but can learn. So what would be a good radio to add to my intercom system ?

Get your Technician license (pretty simple test and all the materials are online).

These are what I run in my cars and I have one going into the LMTV, but any single/dual band by Icom, Kenwood, etc will do (just depends on your needs as to whether you want both UHF/VHF).

Edit: wrong link fixed
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/landmobile/mobiles/f121_series/

Here's a nice solid single band Kenwood:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007470C0A/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AWHEELI3SYPUS&psc=1

Also handy is a little handheld (I'd suggest a good external antenna while in vehicle use, though). One nice thing about these is in 1W mode, they don't require a lic (so you can toss one to someone and let them talk you thru backing into blind spots, or let the kids go explore nearby, etc). At 8w max these don't have a ton of range unless you are tripping a repeater, though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3I1OGLE0IML2X

Edit: I'd steer clear of Rugged Radios. Not that they are a bad product but they are low-watt, with a "fee" and no test/license. They depend 100% on repeaters for any range and are not truly HAM. OK for sort-range car-to-car or use in popular driving areas with dedicated repeaters.

Last edited:

Roverchef

Adventurer
Did a pretty global search but am sure I missed awesome threads on this.... if you happen to know of one..... pass on link..

ok.... I want to make myself some CTIS protectors .... closest cousin to my design idea for these would be Rock Rings.. or Bead Protectors orrr one of those various names they call them?

My question is for anyone that has used rock rings......

any issues with retaining heat in the hubs or tires more after adding the rings? Any chance it actually helped?

what about getting mud into and out of the rings?

Open to other thoughts.

image2__89579.1492614474.JPG

DR1.jpg
I have used rock rings for many different applications over the years with great results. No increase in heat and depending on the design the mud and debris will just wash out as you drive(gravity).

Coachgeo

Explorer
update.... got bracket design and mockup bracket done to bolt around axle to hold the sway bar. Decided this more logical route than disassemble the axle and do proper complicated heat and weld process needed weld brackets to the cast steel axle housing. Brackets are pretty stuffed in there between things which will help with strength in various directions

Coachgeo

Explorer
..... unfortunately while leaving cab in the shop tilted up over night (in Dec.)...... the windshield decide to start slipping out.. grrrr....

Windshield reinstalled.

First try could not find anyone local to install when calling windshield places. All of them were windshield franchises whom were using barely trained monkeys to install glue in windshields and not much of anyone that new how to install a less modern type. Thus after dozen calls..... found no one willing or able to do it. Put it off until now since it was holding as it was. This time contacted body shops and got a recommendation of real windsheild company. Whew what a reliefe to find someone whom knew what they were doing. It installs similar to a VW bug for god sakes.

Had it removed Thursday with intent to paint prep rust in area Friday then reinstalled Friday evening. So of course it rained Friday. Did all prep and paint Sat. Today Monday he came back and installed.

Couple notes. The rubber gasket design not to great (or cab lip sucks) thus at bottom of windshield the gasket tends to try to lift off the lip inside the cab. CHECK YOURS if you have an FMTV. Mine was off on inside bottom and I never new it till removed defrost diffuser. Last pic is what gasket should look like inside, if you can see your bodies lip here instead.. you need to re-do your windshield.

Installer recommended some brackets on out side every 6 to 8" on exterior of cab at just below bottom of windshield to put slight pressure on rubber gasket to help maintain its seating. Asked about similar on inside to keep the gasket from lifting upward off lip and he liked that concept. It was not condition of gasket.. It is a design of gasket issue.. Last pic is where the inner bracket would be installed to push downward on that rubber so gasket does not climb upward off the lip.

Over all cost was very reasonable. Was able to reuse old gasket. Did not replace windshield... it has an old wiper scratch .. but am not making a princess pony cart so Im fine with that.

first pic is the initial pop out. started mid glass on bottom and ran all the way to right corner pictured. corner is where it was out most. From there it ran up to almost the top right corner. Second pic is after re-done.

Attachments

• 20181227_002121Chp.jpg
    20181227_002121Chp.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191017_121016Crp.jpg
    IMG_20191017_121016Crp.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191017_121249Crp.jpg
    IMG_20191017_121249Crp.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Forum statistics