LMTV 1078 Camper build concept

aernan

Observer
Regarding re-gearing the trucks. The factory ratio is 3.70 (in the differentials) and there is further reduction in the hubs (where there are gears). There are used 3.07 ratio differentials pulled from MRAPs. Finding these is becoming very hard. The original manufacturer Merritor is completely out and the gears. From what I am told there is a 7 month lead time to have them made and they AFAIK are not producing them yet.

I'm researching getting some custom 2.90 radio gears (ring and pinion) manufactured for our trucks. I have identified two companies that can do it and I have a wish list of folks who would want them. At this point I need to get more details on the existing gears so I can provide specs to those companies. A friend Oliver may be getting a set of high speed gears I located and I will take measurements from there. My truck still has the slow gears.

Regarding MPG. At max load the spec is 6.5 mpg. If you run the truck at lower RPM you can get 8 mpg. I have also been told that running higher air pressures in the tires can help. At some point the huge cross section and full time 4 wheel drive will be the biggest limiting factors.

I have concerns about fuel consumption so I am looking into ways to supplement my fuel with lower cost options.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Update 4 on the axle. Reassembly of axle before installing. Mostly done. Just need to prep and insert axle shafts. 10 min job. Except for test fit.... will install these shafts last cause will keep the shafts out so can roll the truck around in Front wheel drive. Our next task though will NOT be installing this axle but dropping FRONT axle from under truck for remove/replace of its 3rd member. Dropping it out to do the work inside the shop cause we can NOT leave truck in the shop as Chris does this job on the side when time allows. We can forklift it off to the side or outside if needed. Shop has a full fabrication business with half dozen employees skirting around in it during the week. Reminder both axles got high speed gears and since this is AWD truck it adds to the complexity of driving the truck with an axle missing. short meaningless video added and pics

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/lmtv-1078-camper-build-concept.163129/post-2513050

Last edited:

ohiobenz

I have a US LMTV also. As I'm building the conversion to an Expedition Camper I'm currently on the cab.
What modifications, electrical specifically, have you made to the cab?
I'm thinking of adding a 12vdc accessory power box for future stuff - Ham, CB, stereo, dome lights etc.
So before I sound proof the cab what should I pre-plan wiring for?

Coachgeo

Explorer
I have a US LMTV also. As I'm building the conversion to an Expedition Camper I'm currently on the cab.
What modifications, electrical specifically, have you made to the cab?....?
besides my unique Personal AC system.... I've not thought about it much in detail. Thinking a tablet holder over the speedo with proper wiring hidden below it. It will be Navigation/speedo hmmm..... guess I should do a cab light. Navigation and Music will be head phones, mp3, bluetooth..... simple no wiring. My new mirrors.... will need wiring .... oops.... not posted on that in here yet...... ok.. gotta do that.

oh..... IMHO add at least passenger electric door lock and window crank. Hard to reach over to passenger side to unlock or roll window down. In reality if your doing one side you might as well do both

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
So for side view mirrors, going to try bus mirrors .... cause the ebay deal was good for what they are.. which is about 1000 dollars worth of mirrors if they were new for a 1/4 of that price. Damn RV, bus and truck mirrors are crazy expensive.

Anyway.... here is what Im getting for way more money than I ever thought I would be paying for damn mirrors.... think they are heated and power mirrors... which I do not care to much about..... buttt.... power folding...... hmmm.... you know that exist.... wouldn't it be nice to be able to pull the passenger mirror in away from branches when off road..... from the drivers seat hmmmm.. (no this don't have that feature buttttttt.. :idea: :idea: ..) I know I love to whack my mirrors when jostling around off road. would be nice to be able to fold them out of harms way... hmmm...
BusDrvr.jpg
from what I read on manufacture website these can be mounted up or down... think I would like to mount this one mirror bracket on door with mirror up. Will see... bracket might can go either way butttttt.. mirror re-mounted on bracket in correct orientation ... maybe not.. so might have to improvise.

BusPasngr.jpg
One thing I like about this... it will NOT stick out sidward as much cause it's arm puts it viewed thru corner of windshield instead of side door window.

now to folding :idea:
On Passenger mirror...... see that single bar with what looks like a slip on it to allow for adjustment... Now what if that was replaced by a linear actuator..... making it an electric fold away mirror hmmm. similar could be added to driver.. but..then.. just stick hand out the window and move it. welll then again the pivot point on each mirror are probably normally intended to be affixed rather tight to help hold whole unit in place and not vibrate as well. Hmm..... wonder if actuator could lock it enough in a position to allow for leaving the pivot point loose; thus allow actuator to fold them away.. hmmm :idea: :eek:

PS- electronics-
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Do the heated mirrors..... So nice to have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Third

"...Navigation and Music will be head phones"

Check the local laws (pretty much anywhere you plan to travel). Headphones or headsets are fine for the passenger, but the driver is "supposed" to only cover one ear in many states (I know CO is one).

I wear them in my off-road cars and open cars where hearing and communication can typically only be done via intercom. I've actually never had a problem with LEO in Texas or Louisiana, but I'm aware it's illegal (and my vehicles usually attract "attention"). I keep a single-ear headset within reach of the driver just in case.

For the rig cab, I plan on a ton of sound dampening and thermal insulation. And I'll likely toss in a decent little sound system, but I still want headsets for the intercom/radio(s)/music.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
For the intercom system check with the guys who get their ambulances off the fire departments. A few of those have the intercoms (my dual cab does but the single cab doesn’t).

ohiobenz

I'm looking at Kenworth/Freightliner mirrors... not cheap, but power, heated, swing in...
Aftermarket for about $700/set, used ones less

Also looking at a Bussman waterproof mini fuse box for accessories in the cab, run one 12v power wire and then the rest all can be fused and or relayed...
Think I'm going to run a 12v mini fridge cooler between the seats as well

patoz

Expedition Leader
they make walkie talkie apps for phone and tablets that do not need cell service. Might make it easy peasy to set up intercom from cab to box with that.

Yes, but will you be able to hear your phone over the vehicle noise?

Third

As far as intercoms go, I run PCI in all my cars and Rugged is another brand that's loved by off-roaders (both are pricey solutions, though).

https://www.pciraceradios.com/collections/intercoms/products/pci-4-link-pro-elite-package-2

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=special_categories&cPath=395_978

An less expensive alternative is an aircraft intercom. Just search Amazon, etc for "aviation intercom".

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=aviation+intercom

And a neat trick with an intercom setup is the ability to have comms with inside the camper (in case some situation arises that someone is back there while moving) as well as an external jack in the outside rear (in case you ever lose backup cameras and someone needs to guide you). I'm a HUGE fan of redundant...everything. ;)

Most of these units allow for external devices (like a bluetooth adapter and...instant BT music capability for ~$20). And most will mute music during comms.
*both features to look for

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz