Livin' Lite Quicksilver series, feedback welcome

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
So, I've researching pop up tent type trailers for a while. The quality and features of what I'm looking for are out of my budget ( >$20,000) And what I have found within my budget (<$10,000), for the most part is junk.

Sure I've love a new Crux 2700, but also need a new roof on the house....

Of all the modest priced pop ups I've found, the Livin' Lite Quicksilver seems to be the compromise.

Been finding lightly used 8.0 and 8.1 models for between $4,000 and $7,000

Anyone have good or bad experience with the brand and series?

TGK

I don't have feedback specifically regarding the Quicksilver unit. However, I'm also interested in hearing input on the Livin Lite lineup. I've had interest in some of their smaller hard side unit but have read elsewhere that the original owner sold the company (possibly to Thor) and that, as usually happens, quality suffered. Interested in finding out if that is indeed the case and, if so, what year it took place. Maybe the pre-sale units would be the ones to hunt for. I'm in Oregon and don't see many Livin Lites of any type pop up on Craigslist.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You look at Jumping Jacks or Lifetime tent on a trailer? Or do you want house tent trailer?

Used quicksilver tent trailers typically sell for far less than new. But I have met a few owners that had to do fixes. But most of the rv tent trailers have high rates of breakages but are fine if your handy.

Grassland

Last two years under Thor quality went downhill, and some design changed. The tent trailers got a composite floor rather than aluminium plank. People reported a very spongee/springy floor. On the camp light line up of enclosed trailers, they went to a membrane type roof rather than aluminium sheet. Forget if it was TPO or EPDM. The sides also became gelcoat rather than aluminium on many trailers but don't know which or if it effected the quicksilver tent trailers.
They were pretty sparse option wise, and due to how they fold up, it isn't ideal to deploy them or pack them away if its raining. If I could find a 8.0 for cheap around here Id be tempted to grab one.

CampStewart

Observer
I had a 10.0 for a couple of years. It was too wide for the places I go. Other than the width I thought it was an amazing design. For my travels storage is far more important than internal furnishings so I removed them and gained a lot of storage space. The factory mattress was a bit soft. It was very roomy when set up with a very tall ceiling. If I camped in open areas I would have kept it forever,

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I watched a setup and breakdown video and thought that the amount of snapping and unsnapping things looked like pretty poor / lazy design. It would probably frustrate me. They seem pretty light and simple though.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I picked up a used QS 6.1 last week. 2012 for $3K. Pretty much half a full sized pop-up. Perfect for me and GF. Its very well built. Accessorizing is now in full effect!

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 94

Grassland

How much of a PITA is the awning and sunroom to set up?
That was the other no go, outside of layout of the 14XLP, when the wife and I were looking years back.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
How much of a PITA is the awning and sunroom to set up?

So, I have run many many different types of deployable/furlable type sleeping devices over the years and the 6.0, IMO, doesn't even hit the PITA list. Time to full deploy, from arranging it to ready to set up bedding, is approximately 20 minutes; including screen room set up. That include unhitching and leveling. Pretty much on par with my Oz Tent RV-5 and screen room, which I carry on the roof of my 6" lifted LC80. As there is no perfect sleeping device for all condition, I'm sure I'll find some sort of limit with the 6.0, but so far after 2 weekend trips its a great option for how I explore the New England hinterlands. Perfect of the two of us.

This winter I'll be adding a multi use point propane system, hot water system, and solar collector.

kwill

Observer
I'm looking for one of these too and will buy when a used one shows up near enough to me. Keep us posted on your mods, please.

rideandfly

Never too old to Explore
Congrats on your Quicksilver.

We had a 2010 LivinLite CampLite 11' TT for a couple years. Very rugged with aluminum walls, roof, frame, and aluminum plank floors. They also built a slide-in pickup tent camper for a few years called the Quicksilver TC1, it was less than 500lbs.

dra2120

I just found these campers, and I think it is the perfect solution for my family. From what I can tell though they are out of business. Does anyone know if they are still going, or if there is a good place to learn about them, and figure out even what the options for these were, so I can keep my eyes out?

TGK

It's my understanding that Thor purchased Livin Lite in the fall of 2013. Up until that point, I've been led to believe quality was very good and also for a year or two after Thor acquired them. Eventually, Thor started to squeeze $$ out of the brand, quality dropped, and then they pulled the plug on the brand sometime in 2018. Sad. Seems like most everything Thor touches rots. I include Airstream in that. I own a 1971 Airstream and I wouldn't own a newer one for a variety of reasons, one of which is that it's a Thor product. So, if you can find one of the earlier pre Thor units, could be good. I'm in the PNW and see them come up occasionally. However, they seem to go fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles