Lithium Jump Packs

uscg2008

Explorer
I got mine in the mail yesterday, it was a Xmas present from my family.
b71847eda964c14eb1411d26ff1224aa_zpsbe2697dc.jpg

811690890f4afa7fb0305048c26796a4_zpsceb4afb9.jpg

814335edbc318c7db9e8f30a66360c5b_zps0ca27d1e.jpg

DorB

Adventurer
bring in it back up..
Has anyone used the power pack as an auxiliary power source?
I'm referring to product like this, with supposed large power capacity:
$_57.JPG

68800mAh Portable AUTO Car Jump Starter Vehicle Booster Power Bank Charger 12V

for this product it reefer to use also for "car refrigerator".

the idea is to disconnect the fridge from the truck battery during the night, and to connect the fridge to the power pack, when the AMP demand from the fridge is very low.

?

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Its not 68800mAh unless the battery is made from unobtainium.

The eBay ad states it weighs just 470grams... but my 8000mAh 4s batteries weigh closer to 850grams... making 68800mah something like 7Kg minimum.

470 grams would be closer to 6880mah or less.. not really enough for a fridge for any length of time.

DorB

Adventurer
Its not 68800mAh unless the battery is made from unobtainium.

The eBay ad states it weighs just 470grams... but my 8000mAh 4s batteries weigh closer to 850grams... making 68800mah something like 7Kg minimum.

470 grams would be closer to 6880mah or less.. not really enough for a fridge for any length of time.
I don't think the comparison by weight is the right one.
Standard 65 ah lead battery also weight about 7 kg and it's totally different product.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
At the monthly Costco run yesterday there was one for only $60 that caught my eye. I debated for a sec on it as a moto version of the Yeti 400 we have for car/camper action.

When reading some specs, it said it would only charge an iPhone 4x, yet it can jump a car? This had me spooked enough to want to do some more research. Is it too good to be true and probably not enough juice? Also, will it be able to get recharged via solar you think (assuming you have a charge controller already)?

EDIT: This is the product: http://www.costco.com/Lithium-Jump-Starter-and-Portable-Power-Bank.product.100230151.html

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I wouldn't buy that unit for jumping vehicles. It is only 8000mah and the newer units are 12000mah and up. These have become commodity items and capacities are increasing rapidly. I have several units from a couple of different manufacturers, and they are pretty good about starting vehicles up to 5.7L so far. Have only had one failure to start and have not been able to duplicate the problem, so may have been a bad connection. Re charging from solar, if you have solar to your truck battery, just plug the jump pack into the cigarette lighter to recharge it.

DorB

Adventurer
Well,
The toy arrived.
charged it fully as instructed.
And connected the 45-liter refrigerator in to simulates night camping while the fridge is disconnected from the main battery.
The starting points of the fridge temperature was 6 degrees Celsius, and I've set it to 4 degrees, which means that the compressor worked in full capacity for 15-20 min' and after reaching 4 deg, it worked in short intervals of few minutes each time (about 2 per hour), to keep the set temp.

The energy draw measured 2.5-3 amp while the compressor worked.

This small little Chinese-toy-Energy-Pack managed to keep the fridge's energy need for 12 hours and twenty minutes..

Room temperature was 24 degrees.

Last edited:

sillyolbutt

i use an antigravity. i built an ammo can stereo for camping and its powered by it, and then i put a plug into the side of the can so i can charge it with solar. i too was worried about getting stranded when out doing **** solo

VTlandrover

Adventurer
can i use one of these to power led lights in my rtt? or are the clamps only energized while sensing a load (cranking)?

Chris Boyd

Explorer
The antigravity have a power out port as well as the jump port. The jump port clamps have a boost (guessing a big capacitor) and are on a timer. I'd just use the power out port to power what you need.

jeep670

Adventurer
e2d1386897816bdce49cdd14af351a95.jpg

The evolution of jump starters. These two have 15 years between them.
Sorry for the crap pic but it is the only one I have from when I replaced one with the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94