line-x camper top

dieck

Adventurer
Hi all,

I haven't posted anything in a while. Mine is not a hardcore expedition rig but it gets me to the trailhead for any of my adventures. About 6 months ago i added a camper top to my taco. I didn't want to pay retail for it so I bought a used one. The paint looked horrible but I picked it up for 200 bucks. Then I went and had it professionally line-xed for another 300. I'm really happy with the result. The line-x is a lot tougher than paint.

I added some rakima bolt on rack rails to the top to carry my canoe and other gear.

I might consider doing a silver color line-x job on the whole truck if it gets any more paint chips / scratches.

Also, I acknowledge that you guys frown on white lettering on the outside, and shiny trucks. Te each thier own. Mine gets wheeled plenty.

IMG_4407.sized.jpg

IMG_4419.sized.jpg

IMG_4437.sized.jpg

My latest hobby is kite boarding. I'm getting fairly confident. These pics were taken in S Padre.

Heath_KB_may_06_005.sized.jpg

Heath_KB_may_06_002.sized.jpg

dieck

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
the line-X looks great! Are you worried about it peeling?

It's been on there for a year and no peeling yet. Not worried about it though. I've had line-x on my truck bed for 5 years and no peeling. Still looks new and has been parked outside in the texas sun every working day.

Time will tell though.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Still looks great. I am considering adding Line-X to my rocker pannels and fender flares, I am just worried about how well it would stick to the plastic fender flares!

dieck

Adventurer
Bergger said:
How thick did they spray it on and any idea how much weight that added to the shell?

They sprayed it pretty thick, maybe 1/8th at the thinnest around the windows and between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch everywhere else. I didn't weight it before, but me and one of the line-x guys lifted it before and after, and I couldn't tell a difference. Maybe 10-15 lbs if that.

I was happy with their work.

dieck

Adventurer
flyingwil said:
Still looks great. I am considering adding Line-X to my rocker pannels and fender flares, I am just worried about how well it would stick to the plastic fender flares!

There is a guy in town here that did his whole truck including bumpers and fender flares. He did the normal black color. It's been on there about 3 years now. Can't tell a difference between the fender flares and the rest of the truck. No noticable issues. This line-x stuff is really pretty cool.

Whoknows

Observer
Looks great! I'm interesting the the Line-X too. What is the main difference between it and Rhino lining?

erin

Explorer
I was talking to a shop the other day who does bedliners. He was saying that there are 2 main chemicals used, one very cheap, one very expensive. He said that Rhino uses the cheap one, and Line-X mixes them approx. 50/50. He told me that he uses the expensive chemical. I do know that his spray on has held up much better then the Rhino that I have in my truck bed, as compared to my sliders and rear bumper. Whether he is speaking the truth or just pitching a sales speech, I don't know, but his product does seem to be superior to the Rhino for sure. I think that I am even going have him respray my bed to get rid of all the peeling UV guard that Rhino applied.
Just my 2 cents

dieck

Adventurer
Whoknows said:
Looks great! I'm interesting the the Line-X too. What is the main difference between it and Rhino lining?

Everybody's biased. So take it all with a grain of salt. What sold me was after 9-11, they sprayed the pentagon with line-x under the brand name Paxacon. This was after they did blast tests against standard military architecture reinforced with line-x (paxacon). I was a contractor for the pentagon at the time and was very impressed by some of the videos of the bomb blasted paxacon buildings.

Plus they line parts of submarines and military boats with the stuff and use it in industrial chemical plants.

There are some videos floating around the net of the blast tests.

-H

dieck

Adventurer
Here's a link to the vids:

http://www.paxcon.com/tv_news.shtml

dieck said:
Everybody's biased. So take it all with a grain of salt. What sold me was after 9-11, they sprayed the pentagon with line-x under the brand name Paxacon. This was after they did blast tests against standard military architecture reinforced with line-x (paxacon). I was a contractor for the pentagon at the time and was very impressed by some of the videos of the bomb blasted paxacon buildings.

Plus they line parts of submarines and military boats with the stuff and use it in industrial chemical plants.

There are some videos floating around the net of the blast tests.

-H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz