Line x bedliner to seal up Alaskan Camper? Rot prevention?

Darwin

Explorer
I have thought about purchasing an Alaskan Camper, one of the drawbacks is the typical old school wood/siding/sealant method of construction. I wish they would try to be a little more innovative or use at least wood boat building techniques but I don't see that happening. One method about how to mitigate some of the deficiencies and protect against water intrusion and rot would be to use something like Line x spray the whole camper in it.
I know Line X has been used on RV roofs and I haven't seen any complaints about it. From what I understand the Line X is fairly flexible.

I also found this product that looks like it would work too, they guarantee the roof for life.
https://rvroof.com/

Thoughts? Opinions?

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Both of these products appear to be similar chemistry, either polyurethane or polyisocyanuate, two component spray-applied coatings. The Line-X is probably formulated to optimize abrasion resistance in a pick up truck bed. The RV product may be formulated to optimize elongation. Not knowing anything else I would choose the RV product. Ask for a material data-sheet for any spray applied product and look at elongation. Tensile strength is less important in your application. Compare the cost per square foot per mill thickness. It's going to be expensive for any spray applied product.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
One more thing...the quality of the spray contractor is critical, more important than the material. Their shop should be immaculate as an indicator of their work.

Darwin

Explorer
Thanks for the info, from my research the RV stuff appears to have a lot more elongation and watching it applied appears to be a little bit thicker. I think it lacks the abrasion quality that the line x has though, probably not an issue. It would be nice if Alaskan Campers would just spray the whole camper and then install their aluminum siding over it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior