Limited Slip Differential or not? I am confused

sisu

Adventurer
I own a 1999 4X4 Tacoma, 3.4 liter engine, 5 sp manual transmission, manual shift on the transfer case no electronic switch, extended cab, with the TRD package and it has differential lock out switch on the dash to use in extreme situations (I've never had to use this to tell you the truth but it's there) but this is not limited slip it is a lock out.

I knew at one point in the ownership of the vehicle but I did not write down the answer to the question in the subject line, so how do I tell if my rear end is a limited slip differential?

Thank you for any answers that help.
S

Derek24

Explorer
If you did have LSD, you could jack up the rear end and spin the rear tires, if they both rotate the same way you have LSD, but you have a locker so they will rotate in opposite directions; no LSD.

Tim A

Adventurer
If you did have LSD, you could jack up the rear end and spin the rear tires, if they both rotate the same way you have LSD, but you have a locker so they will rotate in opposite directions; no LSD.

That's good info there ^^ did not know that!

86tuning

Adventurer
^^ If it's an LSD you won't be able to turn the tires if it's in Park or in gear (engine off, park brake released). In Neutral the tires will turn the same direction. Open diffs will spin the tires in opposite directions.

If you have a rear locker, it is an open diff unless it's locked.

Crawl underneath and look at the rear diff carrier. If you see an electric motor assembly on it, you have a rear locker. And rear lockers are awesome.

sisu

Adventurer
Thank you so much. I can do that easily with the floor jack. See you can always learn something no matter how old you are. Hot Damn.
BTW, this site and www.dieseltruckresource.com serve me with the best intel of all site on the net for vehicles and other situations. Thank you very much.

Tim A

Adventurer
^^ If it's an LSD you won't be able to turn the tires if it's in Park or in gear (engine off, park brake released). In Neutral the tires will turn the same direction. Open diffs will spin the tires in opposite directions.

If you have a rear locker, it is an open diff unless it's locked.

Oooooh it has to be in neutral in order to spin the tires with your hand? I seeeeeeeeeeee

:)
sorry couldn't resist

86tuning

Adventurer
An open diff truck will allow the tires to turn, even if you're in Park or in gear.

LSD will not, unless it's totally worn out.

Cheers

zidaro

Explorer
The Toyota Tacoma TRD version did not come with a LSD. It is an Electric actuated Locker when you hit the button, open differential at all other times. This assumes it is factory. Sweet unit.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yes, the TRD Taco uses an e-Locker no LSD. Push the dash button and you'll see the diff light on the dash. It's much better than the limited slip. Interesting discovery...I have found that an open diff can send power to both tires if the terrain resistance is equal. I had my old 4runner at the beach and it would spin all 4 tires digging to climb the sand dune. Interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles