Lightweight screen house

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
What do you single travelers or lightweight campers use for a bug shelter?

Purpose: car camping, one person. Weight should be max. 12 lbs! Height around 65". I usually spend my days away from camp. It would be nice to be protected from bugs in the evening. In my area, summer nights have gotten so warm in recent years that it's not fun to make a fire to keep bugs away. I hesitate to get a screen house because I've been trying to downsize my gear, but bugs, extreme heat, and sun have ruined many a recent camping trip, so bug and sun protection would be good. Spring bugs in my area are horrendous.

I'm thinking of getting this: https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Tempo-L...071CYQW83/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 It has a solid roof and side panels for sun protection. But when I study this design I think, why not just use a 4P tent without the fly as a screen house? This Luxe Temp "screen house" basically looks like a tent that's not waterproof. I have a Kelty Trail Ridge 4 (see photo). I modified the front door so it's all mesh. Wouldn't this make a decent screen house? Maybe the simplest solution is to take out the cot during the day and use it as a screen house.

Attachments

• TR4 1.JPG
    TR4 1.JPG
    623.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

CCH

Adventurer
Just using a tent without the rain fly means you've given up sun and rain protection which are frequently a bigger benefit to a screen tent than keeping out bugs. Also, most screen tents have no floor and can be positioned over a picnic table if you're in a campground or can be set up for dining wherever you go. L.L. Bean offers a very nice screen tent that I wanted, but did not get instead going with a Cablea's model. Your weight requirement will be tough without getting a fairly nice one as steel poles are typical with many screen tents at lower price points. REI has offered some with varying reviews. Kelty and Big Agnes are a couple of other reputable makers that probably off some on the lighter side.

I would say a major issue with that Amazon one is that the nylon is uncoated and not water resistant. Screen tents come into their own if you get caught in steady rain that would otherwise trap you in your tent. Obviously strong wind blown rain is a problem unless you have wall panels, but for that constant crap that makes being outdoors not quite so fun, a screen tent can be a welcome haven. REI has 20% full priced items right now.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/583...sp=a&attrValue_0=Sage&searchTerm=screen house (full walls/fly available at extra cost)

https://www.rei.com/product/147166/big-agnes-sugarloaf-camp-shelter

https://www.rei.com/product/148052/rei-co-op-screen-house-shelter (additional rainfly available at extra cost)

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

CSG

Explorer
Because this weighs 20#, it's probably out of the running for you but I plan to buy one this spring for my travels. Based on the popular hub designed ice fishing shelters:

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
Just using a tent without the rain fly means you've given up sun and rain protection which are frequently a bigger benefit to a screen tent than keeping out bugs. Also, most screen tents have no floor and can be positioned over a picnic table if you're in a campground or can be set up for dining wherever you go.

I would say a major issue with that Amazon one is that the nylon is uncoated and not water resistant. Screen tents come into their own if you get caught in steady rain that would otherwise trap you in your tent. Obviously strong wind blown rain is a problem unless you have wall panels, but for that constant crap that makes being outdoors not quite so fun, a screen tent can be a welcome haven.

I think a basic principle of simplicity is to avoid redundant gear. If a screen house has bug, sun, and rain protection, that sounds like a tent, no? What's the difference between taking shelter from the rain in a screen house versus a tent, if the the tent is all mesh?

Most people who travel light use a tarp. I did find that increased my camping pleasure on a rainy day. It's good to be able to sit outside at a picnic table in the rain. But I find a tarp labor intensive and rarely are trees in the right place for a tarp. And tents do nothing for bugs.

I'm looking for light, simple solutions for people who travel alone, not heavy screen houses for a family. Maybe another solution would be a tarp over an all-mesh tent. Then you would have bug, sun, and rain protection.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Do some searching for “ultralight backpacking tent”. Most ultralight gear is modular. Now, this is just a tent, but the internal bug tent is a separate piece. You can pitch the screen, or the tent, or both together. They make the screen with a floor and without a floor.

It's really expensive, but you have a lot of options and it's weight is negligible. Can't stand up in it though. A small chair might be doable.

Anyway, searching for ultralight stuff might expose you to a lot of esoteric options.

JPOVS

Check out Cooke Custom Sewing. He has a screen tent and on his website he also sells adjustable poles. I have one of these for the boundary waters canoeing. For my vehicle I just use the ARB mesh that work with the awning.

I went with multi color to cheer up the mood. Takes me about 5 minutes to setup by my self with the poles. Without the poles even quicker. Packs small and very light.

Last edited:

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I ended up buying the Luxe Tempo "screen house tent" ($98 with coupon)and used it yesterday for the first time. It definitely kept the bugs out and provided shade on any side throughout the day as the sun moved. I knew it wasn't going to rain so I slept in it last night. It worked fine for all those purposes, but I'm thinking of cutting out the floor.

I would like the REI model recommended by CCH if it were available in a smaller size: https://www.rei.com/product/148052/rei-co-op-screen-house-shelter It looks more rugged than the Luxe Tempo.

This whole thing was labor intensive (tent, screen house, etc etc). One thing I've concluded is that I should ignore the massive picnic tables at US national forest campgrounds and bring my own table. (All tables now have a 3' wheelchair extension, they weigh about 150 lbs, and they never seem to be placed in a logical place. I'm tired of dragging those around.) That opens up new possibilities for rain, bug, and sun protection.

I watched this guy setting up his huge Coleman screen house. He had brought along a 16' ladder, which he leaned against a tree to throw a tarp over the screen house. I thought, "Man, I do NOT want to head in that direction with my gear." Hence the constant search for simpler, lighter, multifunctional gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94