lightweight, enclosed, 270 degree awning

scandy

I'm narrowing down my awning requirements. I've basically got two different needs, for winter/summer. for summer, all i need is a simple square/rectangle awning, maybe with a wind break side, or bug net sides, thats about it. as light and simple as possible. I've added too much weight to the top as is and want go as light as i can.
For winter I'm looking for a 270 degree enclosed awning and floor. for days where i'm camped out in the cold/snow in one spot for 3-4+ plus days. in that case, weights not as big of an issue, as it'll only be that way for 3-4 months out of the year.

I really like the eezi awn 2000 series, seems light, simple, and well made, but not sure how i could "convert" it to 270 and enclosed for winter. most every 270 degree awning is getting too heavy, and expensive.

any ideas? almost seems like i need two separate awnings..

scandy

I would just buy a quick-setup ground tent (Such as the Coleman Instant Tent) and use it for your winter enclosure. $100 price tag, nothing to mount on your vehicle, quicker setup than any awning + walls & floor.
I really want to be "connected" to my van, especially because ill be doing a lot of equipment tinkering moving back and forth between the two. would be nice to just make it one big space.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I really want to be "connected" to my van, especially because ill be doing a lot of equipment tinkering moving back and forth between the two. would be nice to just make it one big space.
I've got the Alu-Cab Shadow awning with the wall kit and for the money I spent and what I really wanted, did not pan out. I love the sturdiness of the Alu-Cab, but the wall kit was a disappointment, main reason being that you can't seal it up to keep bugs and extreme weather out. The Fox Wing's wall kit is much more to my liking because it has the inside wall with zippered doors to give you access to the rig. Alu-Cab's excuse for not designing in a inside wall: They claimed that there was just too many vehicle combinations to figure out door access. I think it's a poor decision, myself. Anyway, both are 270* and IIRC, the Fox Wing was 1/2 the price of the Alu-Cab. The Alu-Cab will hold up much better in wind, so I have that going for me and it seems the options are getting better everyday. I guess the best advice is... save your money and keep your eyes open - bound to be an affordable 270* with an attached room hitting the market. There's definitely a demand!

Last edited:
I wonder who supplies the awning and wall for Patriot Campers. It has a lot of coverage and has wall options. Plus it does offer an additional 3 person annex. Something like they use would be great for a van. It would allow you full movement under the awing. In other words you are not trapped inside during foul weather.

scandy

surprising how hard it is to find something. I do like ARB's awing room with a floor, but they dont have a 270 degree option.

Might just go with the eezi awn and see if a local awning or boat cover place can make something that attaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior