lightweight awning options?

scandy

I'm looking for an awning for my van, I've already got a lot of weight on the roof, i'm trying to avoid adding much more. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good lightweight solution? or maybe something compact that could be stored inside the van rather than on the roof?

I picked up a heavy duty canvas tarp off amazon (some local tractor supply stores have them too) and installed tie down cleats to the roof of my canopy. Two tent poles from REI (heavy duty type) and bobs your uncle.

Attachments

• 40F2B3A0-944F-4951-A344-B8C3159362A8.jpeg
    40F2B3A0-944F-4951-A344-B8C3159362A8.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 84

Hummelator

Adventurer
I picked up a heavy duty canvas tarp off amazon (some local tractor supply stores have them too) and installed tie down cleats to the roof of my canopy. Two tent poles from REI (heavy duty type) and bobs your uncle.
Do you have a picture of the tie down cleats?

scandy

I like this idea, does it keep rain water from dripping down between your truck and the cleats?

I like this idea, does it keep rain water from dripping down between your truck and the cleats?

My camper shell has rain gutters so any water that drips off the canvas makes it’s way to the gutters. However, there is a bit of sagging between tie down points (I just use paracord or bungees) and enough rainfall may overwhelm the gutters but I honestly don’t care, I can just shut side window.

If it gets crazy you can always pitch the canvas with the poles accordingly to divert rainfall.

I like it because it’s modular. I have another canvas that serves as a wall on either side and the materials are much more robust then the $1,000 awnings I have seen.

Add as many as you like and fold them up and stuff in a small action packer when done. Takes about three minutes to set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne