lighting experts

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
As for perception judging them to be 30% brighter: First of all, you can actually measure things - you don't have to rely on perception. Secondly, since that "30%" is about perception, that percentage is - at best - a guesstimate.
They did measure the perception thing as best they could...
...remember that I work in a field that is all about measuring light. Different application, of course. But I carry a variety of fancy meters with me everywhere and measure every light that somebody will put in front of me.
One of my friends replaced his two huge HIDs a few years ago with an LED lightbar and thought the lightbar was "brighter". The HIDs pegged my light meter and went off the scale (2000 LUX) at 100 meters. The lightbar was 0 LUX at 100 meters and only about 5 at 50 meters.
Holy cognitive dissonance, Batman!

I forgot about selective yellow... Yes, that would be what to get. Unfortunately not available in LED though (and using the paint you mention on a 5000K+ LED lamp I suspect would cut it's brightness by 60% or more since about all they are is blue light).
Agree. I wouldn't tint an LED; I'd wait for them to catch up and offer something that's in the right spectrum and use them as they come.
I like the cubes and bars for slow-speed stuff, btw. The cheap & stinky ones ----- pricey ones if you can afford them without blinking.
I still think that HID is the best bang for buck for offroad and halogen for real driving lights though. Those Hella 90mm and 12mm modules with big bulbs are very pleasant supplemental lights.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
[removed constant moving of goalpost, red herrings etc]

You're basically saying that there is no white LEDs, that they all put out a blue light, and that you measured perception, therefore it's as valid as actual measurements. You continue to harp on about white LEDs actually being blue and continue your comparisons to actually blue LEDs. Add the other red herrings and speculation, and you're actually arguing that there is no LEDs out there that can actually light up anything, and when they do, they light them up blue.

I also note the denial of what you said in that post I quoted. Nothing like moving the goalposts.

You fail to grasp that even though a LED on paper does not have the colour rendition of a HID, it doesn't matter as you're not trying to wash a painting with light. You're trying to move fast through the dark - the dark where your eyes (without the headlights) would utilise the monochrome light stalks. "Night vision" is monochrome, because those receptors in your eyes are more light sensitive than your colour receptors.As a result, you do not have the same "colour rendition" in the dark as you do in daylight, yet we somehow manage to navigate under moonlight without bumping into things. How do we do that? Well, contrast.

Which brings me back to LEDs: Yes, you will most likely not find a LED with the same spectrum as a HID, but that is not necessary for navigating at speed at night. In fact, one may even argue that it is faster (and thus safer) for the brain to only decode shapes, contrasts, and movement. And it's not like a white LED is actually throwing out blue light, or that we still have to deal with those LEDs with a blue tinge to them.

With that, I seriously can't be bothered anymore.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Summary For The OP

The OP asked about three specific products for his application and his specifications for the application. Then the experts weighed in, and the thread went south. But here is a summary, as best as I can make out, for the OP:

It is two experts to one against LED lights, but if you go with LEDs you are better off with round ones than square ones (those two experts against LEDs also don't like the LED light bars, but since you didn't mention them you can safely ignore that advice).

According to the expert who travels festooned with light meters, you should only consider HID, and he gives you two examples. Whether they will fit in that ARB bumper where you want your lights is not mentioned.

Amber = not good, yellow = good.

Bigger is better.

Let us know what you decide to do, please.

BOPOH

Explorer
i like this, this discussion brings out all the little things that are not mentioned in any product description.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just as an example, this is what's on the front of my Jeep.

High-dollar high-quality headlights and foglights in the LED category. A pair of very cheap LED flood cubes that give an optimistic 1400+ lumen rating (haha) and a pair of very cheap HIDs that put a respectable stinkload of light down the fairway. The lenses on the HIDs are tinted selective yellow, btw.

MemDay16.2%20054_zpsg62b0yp0.jpg

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
Calling all the overpriced lighting experts:

I am looking to upgrade my stock fogs on my 2016 RAM 3500 with a set of Rigid Dually lights which will eventually get moved into an AEV bumper.

My primary desires are:
1. increased range driving at 80mph+ on back roads in CO/WY/MT/UT with lots of large ungulates that can become hazardous. Moose, elk, deer, pronghorn, bears, horses, cows, they are all out there. I want something that gives much greater effective range than my stock weak high beams. I don't want to swap out headlights. I want something so bright that it could never be considered legal for use as my regular headlights.

2. a set of amber leds for driving in whiteout snowstorm conditions.

Right now I am looking at a set of these for condition #1: (dually spot)
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/20221

and a set of these for condition #2
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/21212 (dually flood in amber)

I am also considering these (rigid d2) as an option for #1, but not sure if they are worth nearly double the price?
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/50231

Can anyone provide some input as to how well any of these options will satisfy my needs?

Thanks!
kc

If you're looking to try and stay in the same price range as Item 1 and Item 2 for those conditions take a look at the Baja Designs Squadron Sport in Spot and Wide Cornering. A friend compared them to RI and Vision X and they outshined both the Dually and 4.5" Light Cannon. I can get you a link to the comparison if you'd like! You can snap on covers for a quick change from white to amber to help satisfy your needs for snow and poor weather. They also make a fog pocket kit for your 3500 that doesn't require you to chop up the OEM bumper.... You could also put a 30" Dual Control (Amber/White) OnX6 between the tow hooks if you really want to turn night into day!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Just as an example, this is what's on the front of my Jeep.

High-dollar high-quality headlights and foglights in the LED category. A pair of very cheap LED flood cubes that give an optimistic 1400+ lumen rating (haha) and a pair of very cheap HIDs that put a respectable stinkload of light down the fairway. The lenses on the HIDs are tinted selective yellow, btw.

MemDay16.2%20054_zpsg62b0yp0.jpg

I would not be able to have my Lights mounted on top of that bar, I would see the tops of the light and my OCD would kick in.....also....whats up with the tires bill?

kojackJKU

Here is my setup. Hella 500s with 55w 4300K HID installed. Not every light takes HID great, but these do. So they go FAR......I have lit up things that were 1000m (measured) by clocking off the distance with my speedometer and odo) away. The yellow fogs are helly 405 fog housings with 100w bulbs in those. The housings put light where you need it, none where you don't and are AMAZING in **** weather/fog/snow etc. My fogs are stock housings with nokya selective yellow halogen bulbs in there. They work WAY better than stock. My headlights are Truck lites. LOVE THEM. They are the best LED headlight I have seen. I have compared them side by side with most everything around.....JW, The Chinese crap, etc....the high beams on the truck lite throws farther and wider than any other 7" headlight I have seen.

kojackJKU

Where did you get the HID kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you talking to me? If so, it got it from VVME.com. Yep they are Chinese, Yep they are cheap, Yep they lasted me from 2008 until 2015 when one of the bulbs started to change color to purple / brown. Not bad anyways. a replacement set of bulbs are cheaper than a set of silverstars from crappy tire....SO, all in all a great deal for the money I spent and the performance I get from them...

kojackJKU

I recommend a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor such as fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, sertraline, or escitalopram.

Not a fan of Coopers?
Sorry, mate; I am.

NO NO, You were running the MAXX....Just went to a different size? The ST.....any difference between the MAXX and the ST? HUGE COOPER FAN BROTHER>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior