Light duty winches (ATV) on small to medium sized 4x4s.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
His post:

"Light duty winches (ATV) on small to medium sized 4x4s"

Actually, thats the thread title.

If you had bothered to actually read his post, you would have understood, instead of falsely assume.

Now I'm looking at either a Warn VR evo 10k or 8k or the smaller Warch Axon 55-s (with a short drum Factor 55 fairlead).
The Axon winch is just under 10kg (22lbs), that's about half of the bigger alternative. What I'm worried about is the lower pulling power of the Axon winch.
Anyone that can share their experiance?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Actually, thats the thread title.

If you had bothered to actually read his post, you would have understood, instead of falsely assume.

Good grief.....you "actually" said that........Do you feel better now that you've played the trolling thread police again?

Do me a favor and block me so I no longer have to deal with your annoying buzzing around.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The issue isn't about the mechanical advantage of a multi-point/rigged pull, heck with proper rigging and enough line a single man can manually pull out a 5000 lb humvee. The issue is the forces placed on the ATV winch by the weight of the vehicle that its mounted too.

I'd argue that there is no extra 'forces' on a little winch mounted on a large vehicle. The winch can only generate it's rated force....all the mounts and parts are rated for that. If you where going to try and use a small winch to lower yourself off something, the brake could not be strong enough, but if you are adding mechanical advantage, you could solve all these theoretical issues in either direction.

Think of the UTV winch as you sitting on the bumper, as you mentioned a single man can pull out a 5000lb humvee with enough mechanical advantage. We are just substituting a small light winch instead of the single man-power.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Correct. Short of some sort of instance that results in shock loading, the winch will only see what its willing to generate, when its needed.

Anyone that doesnt understand that needs to revisit THIS thread.... :ROFLMAO:

Good grief.....you "actually" said that........Do you feel better now that you've played the trolling thread police again?

Do me a favor and block me so I no longer have to deal with your annoying buzzing around.

Or you could actually read the posts and actually engage in a productive conversation, instead of falsely assume based upon little more than the thread title.
We are here to actually converse. Not just spin assumptions based upon titles. I leave that to sheep and the media headlines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles