lifts......for the topper!!!!

hayduke

Observer
:26_7_2: Got a question for the people who enjoy calling their tacoma home.... Is there anyway to add a lift to the topper to make t a little taller/more head space? I got a free aluminum topper with side doors and side crank out windowsand screens that I really like but it is not one of the highrise. I would like to add a little room and than maybe a wind deflector in frount. Anybody done this? thoughts? thanks!!:wings:

akphotobob

Observer
Actually, I have wondered why more people don't do this. I have a story on my website about a guy who did just what you are asking about, he put a spacer between the truck bed and the shell so he had more head room;

http://cheaprvliving.com/Ingenuiscampershell.html

He doesn't give many details but I know he is glad to answer peoples questions so feel free to email him. One problem though, he just changed his email address and I haven't got it published to the website yet. I'll try to get that done soon. If you are interested, I will get it for you here.

He took a plain old shell and made it into a great little camper. it's dry weight is 440 pounds so it should have minimal impact on your rigs off-road capability. Bob

hayduke

Observer
thanks Bob that is a very nice set up and I can see the height extention. If it would not be too much trouble let me know the email or ask him how he lifted the topper. I wonder why there is not more of this done or at least people getting the high rise toppers more, boy those extra inches sure make it feel more like a pent house instead of the economy suit. Thanks for the replies.

adrenaline503

Explorer
There is a work truck around here that has something similar going on. I'll keep the camera in the car since I always seem to pass it every few days. I think the trick would be keeping it water tight, and the weight low.

akphotobob

Observer
hayduke said:
thanks Bob that is a very nice set up and I can see the height extention. If it would not be too much trouble let me know the email or ask him how he lifted the topper. I wonder why there is not more of this done or at least people getting the high rise toppers more, boy those extra inches sure make it feel more like a pent house instead of the economy suit. Thanks for the replies.

Absolutley! It costs virtually nothing but adds greatly to comfort. I have camped a lot in a cab-high shell and I really hated it. Now I live in a homebuilt camper that I can almost stand upright in. I do have to stoop slightly, but it's no problem. On the home page of my website, on the top-right is a picture of my camper, just below it is a link to a story of how I built it.

His new email is ariggins@neb.rr.com, I know he would be glad to answer any questions. One way to build the extension would be with a 2X4 the length of the bed and 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed to the inside edge of the 2X4, standing upright, with another 2X4 on top. Essentially you would be building a bed length box. I would also put blocking every few feet inbetween the plywood so it won't "accordian" over. Glue and screw the plywood to the bottom 2x4 and bolt that onto the bed, then glue and screw the top 2X4 on it. Use lags to attach the shell to the extension. Plywood standing on end is incredibly strong. Use deck screws not sheetrock, they will rust out. Build a short wall for behind the cab and screw the three walls together. I would put another 2X4 alternating the three walls to tie them even further together (in house framing this is called the top plate). If this didn't make sense, find somebody who has built a house and ask him about it. Also, the back door on the shell will no longer be big enough. The easiest thing is to frame in a wall and build a new door, like Allen did in the story. Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles