Lifting a 2001 Chevy Roadtrek 200 popular (3500 express van)

SoCalChinook

Hey everybody!
I just pulled the trigger on a new to me 2001 Roadtrek 200 polular roadtrek 200 (based on the chevy express 3500 chassis) I am looking at putting a lift on it and have been eye balling the weldtech 3" lift spindle for the 03'+ express vans. From what I have seen weldtech is the go to company for parts on lifting these express vans. I know in the past they made kits for the pre 03' models but these are no longer available on their site.
In my research I found out you can use their 03'+ lift spindles if you swap out enough of the front end components. In a youtube video Jeramy from weldtech says it is possible and rattles off a few of the parts that would need to be swapped out. (brakes, lower control arms, steering components to 03'+ stuff)

I will already be replacing a lot of parts in the suspension / breaking area due to preexisting issues. I would definitely prefer to do the full swap over while I am in there, that is if I can find out what all I need to change to get the 03'+ spindles to work

Does anyone have an experience doing this? or have any info on fitment of part between 96'-02' express vans to the 03'+ vans?

I called weldtech a week or so ago and spoke to a very nice lady who gave me some info. She said the 03'+ parts would swap in with no fabrication is this true? if so I guess all I need is a list of parts needed so I can start getting stuff together.
60531832774__553AB73E-1C2A-48CA-BA5F-90E7B3F00134.JPG

Last edited:

marret

Nice, congrats.

I don't have any experience with swapping those parts, but if Jeremy says it can be done I believe it. I had Weldtec do a lift and bumpers on my 2008 Quigley Savana. @Weldtec Designs does excellent work, but they are very busy and can be hard to get a hold of. I still highly recommend them.

Len.Barron

Observer
I don't think anyone (DIY'r) has actually done this. I beleive the reason is that for about the same amount of rework you can use chevy pickup lift kit parts (for less money). I personally would go with the weldtec stuff because of the quality, but, it will be a fair bit more expensive. My understanding (from the little digging on it I did when I got my 2000 express) was that early/mid 90s 2wd chevy pickup lift kits could (with a little work) be used. You'll have to do your own trailblazing on this to determine if it's true, I've never actually seen one done that way either..

SoCalChinook

I don't think anyone (DIY'r) has actually done this. I beleive the reason is that for about the same amount of rework you can use chevy pickup lift kit parts (for less money). I personally would go with the weldtec stuff because of the quality, but, it will be a fair bit more expensive. My understanding (from the little digging on it I did when I got my 2000 express) was that early/mid 90s 2wd chevy pickup lift kits could (with a little work) be used. You'll have to do your own trailblazing on this to determine if it's true, I've never actually seen one done that way either..

I agree I would love to support weldtech as much as possible esspecially since I live about an hour away from their shop so going with their parts is definitly my firdt choice. But I am very interested in the cost savings of the pickup lift kit. I will try to look into and see if I can find any info out there. If anyone knows more please chime in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles