Lifted my 2004 Tundra 3" - wanting to get bigger tires and need some advice...

bryant3155

Basically, I'd like to get a few inches of additional clearance and run a tire that is off-road capable and also winter rated - heard cooper is a good brand.
Tire and rim sizing is pretty foreign to me. My mechanic suggests going with a 285 / 75 size (currently running 245 / 60) which I believe would require new rims. I went to customwheeloffset.com to try and figure it out but even that feels like I'm reading a foreign language.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to avoid rubbing. Picture below of my current setup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 11.38.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 11.38.41 AM.png
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 25

Kpack

Adventurer
285/75-16 (or 17) can be run on a fairly stock rig. You'll need rims that push the wheel/tire out from the truck a bit to clear the stock upper control arms. Otherwise, the tires will rub it. Easiest way to go is a wheel with 4.5" backspacing. Many of those available.

Be aware that the above tire size will likely rub in a few places. Frame rub at full lock both ways, and will rub on the firewall/pinchweld area unless your alignment is good. Our trucks are happier if you push the caster up beyond the factory specs....pushes the wheel forward in the wheel well and gives you more stability.

-Kevin

bryant3155

285/75-16 (or 17) can be run on a fairly stock rig. You'll need rims that push the wheel/tire out from the truck a bit to clear the stock upper control arms. Otherwise, the tires will rub it. Easiest way to go is a wheel with 4.5" backspacing. Many of those available.

Be aware that the above tire size will likely rub in a few places. Frame rub at full lock both ways, and will rub on the firewall/pinchweld area unless your alignment is good. Our trucks are happier if you push the caster up beyond the factory specs....pushes the wheel forward in the wheel well and gives you more stability.

-Kevin
Got it! Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles