Lift questions for a 2002 gmc sierra.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
I have a 1500 long bed. Thinking a bout a lift. I'm not looking for anything crazy. Was pondering a 2inch body lift in conjunction with 2 inch suspension lift. Thoughts?

ZMagic97

Explorer
I would say your best ride quality is going to be all suspension.

What type of travelling/off road type will you encounter?

Drive train you currently have? Gears?

I have a GMT800 as well (06 Sierra Z71) with a 6" suspension lift and 35s. The height helps with certain areas I've been so I don't drag anything. I have a 5.3 and stock 3.73s. I'm very happy with it.

Ivan

Lost in Space
I have a 1500 long bed. Thinking a bout a lift. I'm not looking for anything crazy. Was pondering a 2inch body lift in conjunction with 2 inch suspension lift. Thoughts?

I'd start backwards with what size tires you're planning to use and adjust accordingly.

Mine has an RC 3" installed by the previous owner (torsion bar keys and rear blocks). The front is cranked just a hair past stock. I have 35's with just a little bit of trimming. No complaints.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
what are your tire goals? you can fit 33s with just a level.
I'm running 33's all terrains on it now stock. I was leaning towards 35 ish. Being a long bed I'm just looking for some extra ground clearance without having to change gearing.

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm running 33's all terrains on it now stock. I was leaning towards 35 ish. Being a long bed I'm just looking for some extra ground clearance without having to change gearing.

Gearing doesnt depend on your lift. I'm running 33s and wouldn't want to go bigger because of the 3.55 gears I have. I can fit 285/75-17s probably pretty easily... I have deaver mini leaf pack in the back with GMT900 1500 leafs, and a torsion bar crank up front. Lifted about 2-2.5" with a rake still. If you don't care about gears, you can fit 35s with just a tbar crank and trimming the inner fenders up front. The wheel wells are pretty big.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Gearing doesnt depend on your lift. I'm running 33s and wouldn't want to go bigger because of the 3.55 gears I have. I can fit 285/75-17s probably pretty easily... I have deaver mini leaf pack in the back with GMT900 1500 leafs, and a torsion bar crank up front. Lifted about 2-2.5" with a rake still. If you don't care about gears, you can fit 35s with just a tbar crank and trimming the inner fenders up front. The wheel wells are pretty big.

Do you have an extended cab or crew cab?

XJLI

Adventurer
Do you have an extended cab or crew cab?

Extended cab 285/70-17 BFG ATs. Plenty of room in there for more tire. I like the rake, and it levels out the rare times I'm carrying anything. 6-700lbs levels it with the Deaver pack. If I had to do the all over again with the goal of running 35s I'd get a 2500HD leaf pack, use the Deaver pack with no zero rate leafs (I have both in there now, but removed the factory lift block). Then just crank the front end up another inch or two more with longer shocks and a set of upper control arms.

Bdc6kXE.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94