Lift options Gmc Savana

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Bilstein 4600 body is made of steel, 5100 body is made of aluminum. Bilstein says it is the same shock otherwise, you want the one they valved for your van.

The 4600 has very specific valving for each mostly stock application and the 5100 covers more lifted non stock applications, like the mild lift 1/2 ton PU and SUV 5100 shocks we use on the front of our AWD Vans.

Bilstein does not make a 5100 for the rear of your van, the 4600 HD #24-221948 (3/4-1 ton shock) is 2.34" longer than a stock 1/2 ton shock and valved stiffer at 389-73 it works well.

The 5100 #24-185615 rear shock you mention is valved at 287-77, Bilstein says it would perform terrible on a heavy van, but they will bolt on and are 3" longer or 5.3" longer than stock.

Which shock would you recommend for the 1500 van not weighed down with all the camping supplies. I will have at most 2 jetski's and tools in there weighing 600-800 lbs max but mostly just 1 at 300lbs. They both seem like good options, just valves different and ones longer.

86cj

Explorer
Which shock would you recommend for the 1500 van not weighed down with all the camping supplies. I will have at most 2 jetski's and tools in there weighing 600-800 lbs max but mostly just 1 at 300lbs. They both seem like good options, just valves different and ones longer.

24-024815 is a Bilstein stock replacement GM 1/2 ton Van HD 4600 rear shock valved at 361-68 and it is only 20.9" long, so are you lifting your van?

24-221948 is 23.23" long and valved at 389-73, the choices are few............24-185615 is not a good choice it's valved WRONG, it just happens to bolt on. You could send it out for re-valving if your going with a 5-6" lift....

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
24-024815 is a Bilstein stock replacement GM 1/2 ton Van HD 4600 rear shock valved at 361-68 and it is only 20.9" long, so are you lifting your van?

24-221948 is 23.23" long and valved at 389-73, the choices are few............24-185615 is not a good choice it's valved WRONG, it just happens to bolt on. You could send it out for re-valving if your going with a 5-6" lift....

Yes, my plan is to lift it on a 31" tire. The question is I do not know which lift to use.

Telesteve used this one which looks good, it's cheap , and he stated ride quality was good.

https://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Susp...3_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q7KDJNMDYD9P09V1FP8G

Another guy recommends the Traxda kit , which in reality looks to be the same kit just different brand. $217

Lastly , the 92/99 3/4 surburban springs with max keys. ( this seems to be the most expensive route .)

45Kevin

Adventurer
Lastly , the 92/99 3/4 surburban springs with max keys. ( this seems to be the most expensive route .)

That may be true, but it is the only one that gives you added weight capacity at the rear. If you are using it for camping, have a house battery and hang a bike or propane tank or extra gas on the back, you will very soon be at or over max capacity of those 3 leaf wimpy stock springs.

I went with junk yard springs for $60ish bucks and used the Rough Country kit for everything except the lift blocks. I am still fighting with the original torsion keys and will not install the shocks until I have the keys changed. I would guess that the shocks are not as good as the Fox, but are probably as good as Bilstein. The rears will need an adapter to connect them.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
That may be true, but it is the only one that gives you added weight capacity at the rear. If you are using it for camping, have a house battery and hang a bike or propane tank or extra gas on the back, you will very soon be at or over max capacity of those 3 leaf wimpy stock springs.

I went with junk yard springs for $60ish bucks and used the Rough Country kit for everything except the lift blocks. I am still fighting with the original torsion keys and will not install the shocks until I have the keys changed. I would guess that the shocks are not as good as the Fox, but are probably as good as Bilstein. The rears will need an adapter to connect them.

I am using it as a Jetski hauler.....little different than most guys on here. If I knew how to upload pics or if there was a way to do it from mobile fun I would update my thread.

- The Rip kit from fox is like $1,250 plus shipping and is way overboard with what I want to spend, especially that I can get the Bilsteins for cost.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
I am using it as a Jetski hauler.....little different than most guys on here. If I knew how to upload pics or if there was a way to do it from mobile fun I would update my thread.

- The Rip kit from fox is like $1,250 plus shipping and is way overboard with what I want to spend, especially that I can get the Bilsteins for cost.

Judging by the weight, I'm guessing 2 superjets or similar aftermarket hull? Definitely post pics when you can.

Factor in 2 5gal fuel jugs, wetsuits, tools, other junk, I'd say closer to 1000lbs, maybe more.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Judging by the weight, I'm guessing 2 superjets or similar aftermarket hull? Definitely post pics when you can.

Factor in 2 5gal fuel jugs, wetsuits, tools, other junk, I'd say closer to 1000lbs, maybe more.

Yes, I have both a Superjet and a Tigercraft Sv1 aftermarket hull. Pretty spot on with the weight I will be hauling if I had both. The only excess weight will be a 20 gallon fresh water flush out.

4Fox

Observer
I'm running the Traxda lift on my 08 AWD and it's decent for getting a little height. Going over dips at speed though, the rear end likes to bounce a little so I'll be upgrading the shocks soon.

SirMrManGuy

Observer
Yes, I have both a Superjet and a Tigercraft Sv1 aftermarket hull. Pretty spot on with the weight I will be hauling if I had both. The only excess weight will be a 20 gallon fresh water flush out.
Cool, I have a WDK Rok and an X-2 (in pieces for hoodchop/paint/turf).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior