lift mate stress on tire bead

aluke0510

Adventurer
What if you are sitting in a foot or two of water?

I think I would have a wet butt then.

But curious where you see an issue? And how does the lift mate resolves that. Please explain.

I am just guessing but are you referring to the fact that you would get wet? I think if we are talking about bottoming out an axle while in water to the point that you need to lift the wheel there is an issue with both methods and that is that the ground is very muddy. This creates the issue for both in that both need a wide base to keep the jack from sinking in as well. Either way though in 2ft of water where the wheel is sunk into the ground 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way you are going to get wet. You get wet getting the jack and strap or lift mate. You get wet getting down to setting the base for the jack and either running the strap around or hooking the rim. I think it is a bit moot as to if you get wetter one method or another.

The other thing to consider is the frequency of the event. In any risk analysis you weigh the frequency vs the consequence and decide what precautions to put in place. A couple example in both extremes:

Event - total irreparable engine failure. Frequency - 1 in 200,000 to 300,000miles. Consequence - stranded (define how stranded based on areas traveled). Mitigation - preventative maintenance on the engine, replacement if engine life approaches upper limit, communication/rescue plan, etc. We don't carry a spare engine and lift...

Event - you get thirsty. Frequency - 5-20 times per day. Consequence - dehydration and short time for rescue/incapable of communicating your condition to people that can help. Mitigation - carry water, if supplies run low seek out resupply, recognise condition before it becomes severe, etc.

So ask your self how often you think you would get stuck in 1-2ft of water where you require a lift mate and other options will not solve the problem. Weigh the impact of carrying the extra payload for those instances. You will find you already do this a lot. You don't carry the best tool to do every job when you travel. You look at ways to cover as much as possible only where needed. Like for example do you carry every box wrench, socket, torx, replacement light bulbs, etc. etc. If we carried everything under the sun the payload of the vehicle would be 10 times what the actual vehicle weighed... Think about the benefits of reducing 5-10lbs here and there and over yonder; 20 items and you have saved 100-200lbs off the vehicle which on a lot of vehicles is +20% of the remaining GVWR (payload remainder) after bolt on modifications...

So I have no idea if that was at all pertinent to the discussion but there you have my methodology and how I can prepare for long trips and still be within reasonable loaded vehicle weight...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94